The Right Thanks Hollywood!!

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Billboard Delivers Right Jab To Hollywood
Billboard Raises Eyebrows On Hollywood Boulevard

POSTED: 3:17 pm EST February 10, 2005
UPDATED: 4:42 pm EST February 10, 2005

LOS ANGELES -- A conservative group is giving thanks where thanks is not wanted.

Citizens United posted a billboard thanking Hollywood stars for contributing to the re-election of President George W. Bush.

The billboard includes the text "4 More Years ... Thank You Hollywood!" It features pictures of Michael Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, Ben Affleck, Chevy Chase, Martin Sheen, Barbra Streisand and Sean Penn.

"Using a billboard, thanking Hollywood for helping re-elect George Bush is somewhat in fun, but also delivers a serious message," said Dave Bossie, president of Citizens United. "That is, every action has an equal and opposite reaction."

Citizens United is the same group that mounted a counterattack against Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" called "Celsius: 41.11."

The billboards are more than one block from the site of the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood and Highland, site of the Academy Awards presentation. Citizens United said it has plans for more billboards in the area.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

politicalhumor.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.html?site

I saw it on the news the other day. Being in the same pic with Bush must be making their skin crawl!!!!

Bonnie said:
"Using a billboard, thanking Hollywood for helping re-elect George Bush is somewhat in fun, but also delivers a serious message," said Dave Bossie, president of Citizens United. "That is, every action has an equal and opposite reaction."

Haha, right.. you were trying to alert the citizens of Hollywood about an important principle of physics. Somewhat fun...

While that is pretty funny, don't you think there are much, much, MUCH better ways to spend money than saying "Haha, we won, suckers!"?

I mean, I'd definitely do something like that if I had the money, but CU has a budget and goals, and wasting money on being sore winners isn't really at the top of their minutes...or maybe it is...

Sir Evil said:
hey now I think the real message here was to those in Hollywood to butt out where they don't belong. I am certain that it wasn't against the democratic party otherwise they may liable for all the suicides with a "Haha, we won suckers" kind of message! :teeth:

Seriously... you can hear stools being kicked en masse =)

But I mean, doesn't *everyone* belong in politics?

If a celebrity uses his/her star power/name recognition to support his or her cause, shouldn't that be lauded? I'm sure any true supporter of any cause would do it in a second.

I don't think its merely because I'm on the left that I support celebrity involvement-- people can criticize them for their views but you shouldn't criticize a citizen for having convictions and acting on those convictions, saying "stupid celebrities! butt out where you don't belong!"

nakedemperor said:
Haha, right.. you were trying to alert the citizens of Hollywood about an important principle of physics. Somewhat fun...

While that is pretty funny, don't you think there are much, much, MUCH better ways to spend money than saying "Haha, we won, suckers!"?

I mean, I'd definitely do something like that if I had the money, but CU has a budget and goals, and wasting money on being sore winners isn't really at the top of their minutes...or maybe it is...

Well theres nothing wrong with good manners and saying thank you ;)

Sir Evil said:
NE - Yeah that was just a friendly ribbing there but I don't agree about your views with the celebs. If they wanna support their cause that's fine but to use their platform of fame to try and change minds is what I don't like! they are entertainers not politicians. These people are to be role models to the people, mostly younger and if they do this it's really using something for the wrong purpose. Just my opinion.

If you were a famous actor you wouldn't donate large sums of money, and accept invitations to speak to people about causes you find important?

Man, I sure would..

Bonnie said:
The billboards are more than one block from the site of the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood and Highland, site of the Academy Awards presentation. Citizens United said it has plans for more billboards in the area.

I live one block from the Kodak Theater. I haven't seen it, but guess now I'll have to find it to take a look!

They would have been better to place it on Sunset near Laurel or here in Burbank (I'm writing this from my office) - few who work in the industry go anywhere near Hollywood and Highland except on Oscar night - the place is a tourist trap for the visiting mobs, and has nothing to do with the Hollywood "industry"

A

Sir Evil said:
Donations are cool but this can also be done in a private fashion. I think it's best kept to themselves who they are looking to support. Pay millions to your cause but use your fame to influence the naive, and I mean those who are really unaware of worldly politics, is just wrong in my opinion.

If the cause is good I wouldn't calling it influencing the naive, I'd call it alerting the masses.

Then again, my only critique would be abusing fame and recognition in support of an issue one hasn't thought out clearly.

Sir Evil said:
Fair enough, but what makes you think that their cause is a good one? we are dealing with the rich and that say something right there. Why do you think do many of the actors are liberal in views? again, just my opinion.

I mean, that's a huge question... I don't know why many actors are liberals. I'm just glad I'm not in the same party as Britney Speares :teeth:

nakedemperor said:
If the cause is good I wouldn't calling it influencing the naive, I'd call it alerting the masses.

Then again, my only critique would be abusing fame and recognition in support of an issue one hasn't thought out clearly.

I guess the distinction then comes from what is deemed important cause and what is considered by more intelligent adults as brainwashing and idolotry aimed at youngins.

Many in the entertainment industry do not connect with Joe regular in any way, and for them to pretend that someone like Kerry or Mike Moore is for the regular guy is becoming very transparent.

Bonnie said:
I guess the distinction then comes from what is deemed important cause and what is considered by more intelligent adults as brainwashing and idolotry aimed at youngins.

Anything Johnny Depp does, ROSS DOES.

:bow3: :bow3: :bow3:

nakedemperor said:
Anything Johnny Depp does, ROSS DOES.

:bow3: :bow3: :bow3:

Well that's just plain scary..........LOL I thought you were above flakiness, although Depp does have the hair and wardrobe thing down very well!

nakedemperor said:

Typical, a liberal believing other peoples money should be spent on "better ways" then the people spending their own money on how they choose. :rolleyes:

MtnBiker said:
Typical, a liberal believing other peoples money should be spent on "better ways" then the people spending their own money on how they choose. :rolleyes:

Touche... I should have said "more productive"

Bonnie said:
Well that's just plain scary..........LOL I thought you were above flakiness, although Depp does have the hair and wardrobe thing down very well!

And the being a total hunk thing :)

Sir Evil said:
Damn, didn't he leave the states for some other country?

I was under the impressiong that Rhode Island was merely a token state and didn't really count as part of the mainland U.S. :D

MtnBiker said:
Whether productive or not the point is people can spend their own money how they wish without judgement by other on how it was spent.

Unless you're George Soros, or anyone who contributed to Bush inaugural bash.

nakedemperor said:

To the Victor go the spoils ..... the Victor does what he wills, the vanquished suffers what he must.....

No, they brought it on themselves. Perhaps the Hollywood Hitler Youth will learn from their mistakes and sit the next few elections out. While they have the right to participate in the political process, they also have a civic duty to learn how our form of government works, what the Constitution of the US actually says. They won't learn that by reading Dickens, Proust or the Communist Manifesto (if in fact any of them read anything at all).

The next time some Hollywood celebrity decides to kick start their career by making idiotic public statements about subjects which they have absolutely no understanding of, perhaps their agents or the studios will remind them to shut the F*&@ up, go home and show up at the next rehearsal both sober and ready to recite their lines.

Forum List

Back