The Rich Don't Pay Enough?!

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
The Rich Don't Pay Enough?

1. According to IRS 2007 data, the richest 1 percent of Americans earned 22 percent of national personal income but paid 40 percent of all personal income taxes.

2. The top 5 percent earned 37 percent and paid 61 percent of personal income tax.

3. The top 10 percent earned 48 percent and paid 71 percent of all personal income taxes.

4. The bottom 50 percent earned 12 percent of personal income but paid just 3 percent of income tax revenues.

5. President Obama and the Democratic Party harp about tax fairness. Here's my fairness question to you:

What standard of fairness dictates that the top 10 percent of income earners pay 71 percent of the federal income tax burden while 47 percent of Americans pay absolutely nothing?

6. Here's the question for us:

Is the U.S. moving toward or away from the troubled EU nations? It turns out that our national debt to GDP ratio in the 1970s was 35 percent; now it's 106 percent of GDP. If you think we're immune from the economic chaos in some of the EU countries, you're whistling Dixie.

And when economic chaos comes, whom do you think will be more affected by it: rich people or poor people?

The Rich Don't Pay Enough? - Walter E. Williams - Page 2

These are the facts and they are being ignored by the MSM. Until the tax burden is shared by all, the entire population is not going to be talking or learning about tax cuts or raises and have no opinion about them. They will just be part of the 50% of the those willing to take government handouts regardless of the repercussions to the country as a whole.

1. According to IRS 2007 data, the richest 1 percent of Americans earned 22 percent of national personal income but paid 40 percent of all personal income taxes.

2. The top 5 percent earned 37 percent and paid 61 percent of personal income tax.

3. The top 10 percent earned 48 percent and paid 71 percent of all personal income taxes.

4. The bottom 50 percent earned 12 percent of personal income but paid just 3 percent of income tax revenues.

5. President Obama and the Democratic Party harp about tax fairness. Here's my fairness question to you:

What standard of fairness dictates that the top 10 percent of income earners pay 71 percent of the federal income tax burden while 47 percent of Americans pay absolutely nothing?

Is the U.S. moving toward or away from the troubled EU nations? It turns out that our national debt to GDP ratio in the 1970s was 35 percent; now it's 106 percent of GDP. If you think we're immune from the economic chaos in some of the EU countries, you're whistling Dixie.

And when economic chaos comes, whom do you think will be more affected by it: rich people or poor people?

These are the facts and they are being ignored by the MSM. Until the tax burden is shared by all, the entire population is not going to be talking or learning about tax cuts or raises and have no opinion about them. They will just be part of the 50% of the those willing to take government handouts regardless of the repercussions to the country as a whole.

you just proved that you are a racist.
How?
I dont know.
It is just proof. Deal with it.

How?
I dont know.

ROFL! You don't know how. Okaaay....Shortest debate I have ever had.

How?
I dont know.

Relax Jackson. I was being sarcastic. I see it the way you do...but everytime I debate the topic, I find myself being accused of hating poor black people.

How?
I dont know.

Relax Jackson. I was being sarcastic. I see it the way you do...but everytime I debate the topic, I find myself being accused of hating poor black people.

Oh, that is funny. I was wondering where that came from. You just took the place of all the libs that aren't going to touch this because they can't find fault with facts. But thank you for responding for them. :)

Net_worth_and_financial_wealth.gif

$0.02

Capital gains should be taxed as income.

Reversing the Bush era tax breaks is 3%. That is not an outrageous sum.

However I thnk we need some kind of limits on those Congress critters and their spending. Raising revenue is not going to be worth a shit if they(both parties) keep spending like drunken sailors.

$0.02

However I thnk we need some kind of limits on those Congress critters and their spending. Raising revenue is not going to be worth a shit if they(both parties) keep spending like drunken sailors.

So you laugh at real unemployment at almost 20% and ask for more, do you?

And double taxation is the way to get it. I admit you are a man with a plan...

We don't have an revenue problem, we have a spending problem.

Fact.

I am going to apply for a government grant to conduct a study to find out why the government spends so much. I think I should be able to complete my investigation for the low, low price of $10 million.

We have a problem. Why is the government not spending any money to solve this problem!

tell you what....when they start paying real wages and stop looking for slave labor that is fucking up our economy, when they stop influence buying our government to take more and more wealth OUT of this country and INTO other ones, when they don't have loopholes that only THEY can take advantage of? I'll listen.....until then? I refuse to feel sorry for millionaires and billionaires and their sob stories.

You're right though....the Federal tax burden SHOULD be shared by all....so let's get real jobs with real wages and benefits so that they don't have to rely on Gubmint nearly as much and CAN pay more into the system. Until then? I refuse to feel sorry for the people who are the cause for the situation.

$0.02

A REALLY bad idea. Capital gains is already double taxed. Besides, taxing it as income would kill capital investments in this country and that's where jobs are created.

It would mean a lot more than that to the millions of Americans that pay nothing under the current rates. Further, no one knows for sure if such a tax hike would actually produce more revenue. Lastly, if you're talking about just increasing rates on wealthy Americans, we already have the most progressive tax rates in the Western world. Making them even more punitive on job creators is not a good idea, especially during an economic slump.

True. I like the Mack Penny plan.

$0.02

Capital Gains should be taxed as such...Capital Gains :D

$0.02

A REALLY bad idea. Capital gains is already double taxed. Besides, taxing it as income would kill capital investments in this country and that's where jobs are created.

Corporations are people, my friend. So capital gains are not double taxed -we tax people in this country, not dollars.

Did it kill capital investment last time we taxed it as ordinary income?

Last edited:
$0.02

Why should the government get more, because it does such a good job of spending the money it already gets?

Government should get less of your checks, not more.

Only a tick on the ass of society could possibly believe government doesn't take enough of our money.

$0.02

Corporations are people, my friend. So capital gains are not double taxed -we tax people in this country, not dollars.

When capital gains taxes were lowered during the Clinton administration, revenue from these taxes exploded and the economy boomed. When you tax capital gains, you tax growth.

What is the upside of raising taxes on capital gains?

When capital gains taxes were lowered during the Clinton administration, revenue from these taxes exploded and the economy boomed. When you tax capital gains, you tax growth.

When capital gains taxes were cut in the the mid 1970's did the economy boom? The economy as already booming before Clinton cut the cap gains tax rate. Then we got...a bubble. Maybe the economy boomed with the Clinton tax cut because it greatly expanded the EITC.

When you tax labor, you tax growth. See how easy that is?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back