The RFRA Obama voted for in 1998

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Below is once again, a comparison of the Federal RFRA and the Illinois RFRA, 775 ILCS 35:

42 USC 2000bb-1

(a) In general
Government shall not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability, except as provided in subsection (b) of this section.

(b) Exception
Government may substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion only if it demonstrates that application of the burden to the person—

(1) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and

(2) is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest.

(c) Judicial relief
A person whose religious exercise has been burdened in violation of this section may assert that violation as a claim or defense in a judicial proceeding and obtain appropriate relief against a government. Standing to assert a claim or defense under this section shall be governed by the general rules of standing under article III of the Constitution.

775 ILCS 35/10

Section 10 (6)(b)(1)(2)

(6) The compelling interest test, as set forth in Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972), and Sherbert v. Verner, 374 U.S. 398 (1963), is a workable test for striking sensible balances between religious liberty and competing governmental interests.
(b) The purposes of this Act are as follows:
(1) To restore the compelling interest test as set forth in Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972), and Sherbert v. Verner, 374 U.S. 398 (1963), and to guarantee that a test of compelling governmental interest will be imposed on all State and local (including home rule unit) laws, ordinances, policies, procedures, practices, and governmental actions in all cases in which the free exercise of religion is substantially burdened.
(2) To provide a claim or defense to persons whose exercise of religion is substantially burdened by government.

775 ILCS 35/15

Section 15 (i)(ii)

Sec. 15. Free exercise of religion protected. Government may not substantially burden a person's exercise of religion, even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability, unless it demonstrates that application of the burden to the person (i) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest and (ii) is the least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest.

775 ILCS 35/20

Section 20

Sec 20. Judicial relief. If a person's exercise of religion has been burdened in violation of this Act, that person may assert that violation as a claim or defense in a judicial proceeding and may obtain appropriate relief against a government. A party who prevails in an action to enforce this Act against a government is entitled to recover attorney's fees and costs incurred in maintaining the claim or defense.

And (thanks to mudwhistle for finding this) the vote tally for Indiana HB2370 in which it clearly shows Obama voting for the exact same thing Indiana passed last week:

LiveLeak-dot-com-568_1427686563-roll_call_1427686976.jpg.resized.jpg

The same law, the same exact law. Obama voted for it, with his pen and his phone was not required. The silence on his part, thus far, on this issue is testament enough to that fact.

Notice how that law pertains to how the GOVERNMENT interacts with religious people and not how a PERSON interacts with another person.

The spirit of that law was to allow things like Muslims having beards in prison and churches holding events in public places.

The Indiana law is there to allow discrimination. So cons, please stop with this bullshit about "19 other states."

Notice how that law pertains to how the GOVERNMENT interacts with religious people and not how a PERSON interacts with another person.

The spirit of that law was to allow things like Muslims having beards in prison and churches holding events in public places.

The Indiana law is there to allow discrimination. So cons, please stop with this bullshit about "19 other states."

So, answer me this....If I get you folks correctly here....it's perfectly fine to discriminate against someone for their beliefs in order to NOT discriminate against gays. Is this your stance?

I'll go ahead and answer your question. Yes it is. And why is that? Because people of faith have no "rights"? But perverts do?.....seems like the tail wagging the dog here. One more nail in America's coffin.

So, answer me this....If I get you folks correctly here....it's perfectly fine to discriminate against someone for their beliefs in order to NOT discriminate against gays. Is this your stance?

I'll go ahead and answer your question. Yes it is. And why is that? Because people of faith have no "rights"? But perverts do?.....seems like the tail wagging the dog here. One more nail in America's coffin.
That is the same argument people used to discriminate against black people in this country. Religious people are not being discriminated against. If they don't want to put a rainbow flag on their cake it's perfectly legal for them to say no. But if they want to sell cakes they have to sell cakes to everyone. Whether they're Christian, Muslim, Black, Gay, Hindu, etc. if they don't want to put a certain message on that cake it's perfectly within their rights.

That is the same argument people used to discriminate against black people in this country. Religious people are not being discriminated against. If they don't want to put a rainbow flag on their cake it's perfectly legal for them to say no. But if they want to sell cakes they have to sell cakes to everyone. Whether they're Christian, Muslim, Black, Gay, Hindu, etc. if they don't want to put a certain message on that cake it's perfectly within their rights.

Buddy - I will promise you that I have been black one hell of a lot longer than you. I KNOW what discrimination is. This AIN'T it.

Buddy - I will promise you that I have been black one hell of a lot longer than you. I KNOW what discrimination is. This AIN'T it.
Have you ever been gay?

Have you ever been gay?

Crickets....

Have you ever been gay?

I suppose the bigger question would be... Have you?

Have you ever been gay?

Crickets....

Ever wonder why this "person" shows up so quickly? Candy - if I owned a bakery I would PERSONALLY bake YOU a cake. :afro:

Problem solved.

Have you ever been gay?

No. Would you turn away a lesbian mother who wanted a birthday cake for their child?

Have you ever been gay?

No. Would you turn away a lesbian mother who wanted a birthday cake for their child?

Yes I would. I would be happy to explain that in my religion, homosexuality is a damnable sin and I could not participate in it. I would then offer a list of other bakers in the town who would LOVE the extra business. Then I would hire an attorney because she would be running for the ACLU as fast as she could. It's not about the cake, son. It's about getting their agenda forwarded - no matter the cost.

Have you ever been gay?

He might be one of those who wakes up every day and decides if he's gay or straight.

This is the exact same thread TK posted yesterday. He got his fat butt handed to him so he beat a hasty retreat. No matter how many times he posts the same thing over and over, one fact remains:

The phobes say this law does not allow discrimination and yet Pence is now saying he's going to change the law so it no longer allows discrimination.

I'm looking forward to watching the Repub clown backpedaling and flip-flopping. Bush, Rubio and another all said they backed Pence's law. Now that Pence is flip-flopping, they'll have to flip-flop too.

:uhoh3:

Have you ever been gay?

Crickets....

Ever wonder why this "person" shows up so quickly? Candy - if I owned a bakery I would PERSONALLY bake YOU a cake. :afro:

Problem solved.

Uh, YOU showed up first.

What does that say about you?

:eusa_naughty:

Have you ever been gay?

Yes I would. I would be happy to explain that in my religion, homosexuality is a damnable sin and I could not participate in it. I would then offer a list of other bakers in the town who would LOVE the extra business. Then I would hire an attorney because she would be running for the ACLU as fast as she could. It's not about the cake, son. It's about getting their agenda forwarded - no matter the cost.
As a black person, you should be able to recognize that as discrimination. And if the whole town happens to be Christian and hate gay people, this mother is SOL. Kind of like how blck people were in the south not so long ago. :cool:

The Little Sisters of Charity who the Feds are trying to force to pay for contraceptives will be so relieved to know that you think they are not being discriminated against.

Have you ever been gay?

As a black person, you should be able to recognize that as discrimination. And if the whole town happens to be Christian and hate gay people, this mother is SOL. Kind of like how blck people were in the south not so long ago. :cool:

That dog won't hunt sonny. I'm still waiting to see the first homosexual brought in chains from some other country against his will to serve as a slave for the next 100 years. Let me know when that happens. Until then, forget the guilt trip. Doesn't work on me. These are perverts who are demanding that their "cause" be legitimatized and nothing more. In other words - it's BS.

Forum List

Back