The Revolution Will Be Blogged

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Bloggers are going to be represented at the Conventions this year. Much of the big media are not happy about it either. LA Times has an article on it, not too complimentary. Oh well! They fill a void not being met by the media today:

http://www.perryonpolitics.com/archives/001867.html

Excerpts:

July 19, 2004
'You Say You Want a Revolution'
"The Revolution Will Be Blogged" - Andrew Sullivan
In America we have a multitude of avenues in which to obtain our sources of information. With the onset of political coverage on the web, traditional media sources such as the major networks are seeing their ratings decline while weblog traffic soars. Advertisers are flocking to websites to promote their products instead of using the old methods. Why is this, and what do weblogs offer that others don't? The answer is content and context.
While the major media will report the news they find "fit to print", millions turn to weblogs for the information they can't find anywhere else....

...One of the biggest hints that the admission by The Note is correct is that people often find news on weblogs that they have never heard anywhere else. Not reporting, or under-reporting is prevalent in America today. Stories such as the U.N. Oil for Food scandal, the removal of two ton's of uranium from Iraq , and the fallacies which are prevelant in Michael Moore's propaganda are among other reports that many have never even heard. How about a single good news report out of Iraq - when was the last time you heard one of those? This information is widespread among weblogs, yet coverage on the networks is non-existent. Most traditional sources of information have all but ignored them.

Not only can you find these stories on the web, but you can get the background information and find them put into context. The reason I write Perry on Politics is to inform the masses in a manner in which makes current events interesting to all. You don't have to be a media elite or take yourself too seriously to express your point of view and inform the public. If you want detailed commentary on the events of the day, you can read Andrew Sullivan, Josh Marshall, Powerline, Glenn Reynolds, Hugh Hewitt, Michael Totten, NRO's Corner, and Watchblog among many others. There is an endless supply on both the left and right to make your choices complete.

Start your day by getting your morning news from these weblogs, and then spend the evening in front of the major networks. It will be like night and day.

Doomer said:
Maybe this will get the mainstream media to smarten up abit. But I doubt it.

They have a major problem, those that are really into the news, :thanks: , are finding they are taking steps towards irrelevancy. We tend to influence more people than is normal, being able to give 'context' as the Perry piece indicates. The 'big media' stands a real chance of losing its base, those that have been the ones buying the papers for all these years. I still subscribe to 2. I get 3 weekly news magazines. Problem, by the time I get them, I've already read the important stuff and can rifle off a letter to the editor criticizing their coverage. Which I do with regularity, along with several I know.

Kathianne said:
by the time I get them, I've already read the important stuff and can rifle off a letter to the editor criticizing their coverage. Which I do with regularity, along with several I know.
I want to be you when I grow up!!!!! :cool:

Interesting.

http://vodkapundit.com/archives/006223.php

"The revolution will be blogged."
Posted by Stephen Green · 21 July 2004
The lastest blog news from China:

Finally released from Qincheng Prison, [Liu Di] has resumed her university studies. News articles revealed that her subversive cyber crimes, committed under the screen name, "Stainless Steel Mouse", were mainly criticisms of renewed restrictions on Internet cafes, a plea for more freedom of expression on the Internet and - oh, yes - a satire of the Chinese Communist Party.
Liu, is only one of many new Chinese bloggers - one conservative estimate places the number at 300,000 - who are becoming high-profile symbols for democracy and free speech. (China's reformist President Hu Jintao is believed to approve of, even support, websites that criticize and discredit anti-reformers and his rivals.)

And then this:

"In places with restricted press access, web logs have become an important reality check for the mainstream media, allowing ordinary citizens to help craft the news and keep traditional media sources accountable," writes professor Lih of the Journalism and Media Studies Center at the University of Hong Kong.
Kinda puts the whole bloggers-with-press-credentials story in perspective.

I'm sure that william may have his blog sites. William mine are probably not like yours. Ah well, first amendment and the internet seem pretty strong, regardless of all attempts to censor or tax.

Forum List

Back