The Reverend Wright

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Paulie, May 1, 2008.

1. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,338
    Well, it's a bit ridiculous that "Bush lied people died" bothers you so much that you actually use the ignore function because of it.

Anyway though, I'm feeling the same way about this Rev. Wright bullshit (besides the ignore function). That it's STILL an issue is pretty sad. What does it have to do with Obama's ability to run the country? I haven't seen a good thread making a case against Obama's politics in MONTHS. The same partisan, so-called "Republicans" on here are still harping on the connection like it's got SHIT to do with his abilities.

Just how the establishment likes it, too.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    Anyone that attends a church with a specific leader for 20 years MUST belief some of what he says. The claim that a person can spend 20 years as close personal friend of a pastor, consider him their Mentor, spiritual leader and write 2 books with them as the theme must indicate they KNOW the person well, they KNOW what he believes and they support it if after 20 years they are still following the man, still calling him a Mentor, a personal friend and puts them as spiritual leader and advisor on their campaign.

To then claim after all that time, they had no idea what he stood for, what he believed, what he said, is just a bit of a stretch.

And in my opinion, ones religious beliefs ARE to a degree important, especially if those beliefs are destructive or teach hate or distrust toward a large segment of the population. A President can not properly serve the Country if they believe over half the Country are bad, evil, wrong, pick a word.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Different topic.

The Rev. Wright uses the pulpit and church as a guise for preaching politics.

Attending church is ALL ABOUT belief. If you don't believe what it being taught, why attend? One doesn't attend a church for 20 years without believing most of what that church is preaching.

The question is, what and how much of what Wright preaches does Obama believe?

Of course his political beliefs are important. Not in and of themselves, but whether or not he is going to try and legislate them, and/or how much they affect his decision-making ability or factor into those decisions.

I would want to know that about about any potential nominee to run this country, my particular state, or my particular city.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    It's lose lose for Obama. Either he believes what Wright believes and he's lying when he says that suddenly his eyes have been opened...or he's a moron who didn't hear a thing his friend and pastor said for 20 years.

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,726
    So what you're saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that you're not going to vote for Obama. Is that about right?

6. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,168
    I don't know. I have attended some Churches with preachers for many year and really hardly knew their personalies. It was probably my fault but there was always a seperation that I maintained.

Heck, I listened to the Preacher that married my wife and I for over ten years and, other than feeling confident in his religious beliefs, I cannot say I knew many of his personal traits.

The Wright thing is going to follow Obama through his entire political life for the good or for the bad.

7. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    It's hilarious how Wright becomes an issue but Mccain gets a free pass over Hagee.

After all, Wrights perspective comes from the historic FACT of racism in America... Hagee?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    Hagee was not McCains personal pastor, his announced personal friend, personal spiritual advisors and McCain has not had a personal relationship with the man for 20 years. Nor does he eve attend the guys services.

Big big difference all across the board. Also I do not recall McCain writing two books with Hagee in them, naming one after him or his sermons.

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    HA!

yea, whatever you say, dude.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGl44APr8KQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGl44APr8KQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uViQ0hVV57Q&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uViQ0hVV57Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    McCain is irrelevant to this thread. There is no comparison between McCain accepting a political endorsement from a religious organization and the relationship between Obama and his personal pastor of 20 years.

Wright's perspective comes from old news. He's beating a dead horse and perpetuating racial divisiveness.

It is against the law to discriminate based on race and has been since the 1960s. We can legislate against racial discrimination and have. We even go so far as to try and legislate against personal belief with hate crime laws. The fact is however, there will always be racists no matter how many laws you can conjure up.

Perpetuating racial divisiveness is counterproductive to racial integration. And it takes TWO. When BOTH/or however many sides quit making an issue of race and move on, THEN does it cease to be an issue. Wright has been stuck on loop since the 60s.

What Wright believes is only relevant insofar as how much of what he preaches does Obama agree with, and how much of it bleeds into his politics.