The Restored Church of God and the Moffat Translation

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
Who are these people and what's with this translation. I was reading their site. They seem cool. But maybe fixated on some things. I need a good bible based church to call home. What think yee, more knowledgable than me. (ahem , gop geff, ahem.)

rtwngAvngr said:
Who are these people and what's with this translation. I was reading their site. They seem cool. But maybe fixated on some things. I need a good bible based church to call home. What think yee, more knowledgable than me. (ahem , gop geff, ahem.)
If I may ask, what denomination did you used to belong, and what led to your looking for something better?

The Reformed Church of God is a splinter group which broke from the Worldwide Church of God. This group taught the following (which, as one can see from the bolded parts, are unBiblical, and therefore unchristian teachings):

Identification of the British and American people as descendants of two sons of Jacob: Ephraim and Manasseh.
Belief that the term "British" is derived from the ancient Hebrew word "beriyth" (covenant).
Belief that the term "Saxon" originated as "Isaac's Sons"
As the "lost" ancient Israelite tribe of Dan spread across Europe, they named many rivers, towns etc. after themselves (e.g. Danube River, Denmark, Donegal).
Rejection of the traditional Christian concept of the Trinity as being of pagan origin. Armstrong accepted a modified Arian view of the nature of God -- the teaching by Arius in the late third century CE. They believed that deity consisted of a dual divinity: The Eternal (their translation of the Hebrew name of God: Yahweh) and Jesus. He taught that that the Holy Spirit is a power, not a person. He promoted the concept of the "Family of God", which consisted of Jehovah, Jesus, and human believers in the WCG who became Gods.
At the crucifixion, Jesus' body and spirit died for three days and three nights. He was later raised by the Father and his human body was transformed into a spirit body.
Belief in Jesus is a necessary and sufficient requirement for salvation and the attainment of Heaven.
Members will be rewarded in heaven according to their works, including how closely they followed the commandments of God (the 10 Commandments, dietary laws, holy days etc.).
Identification of the WCG with the "Philadelphia church" in Revelation 3:7.
Rejection of the concept of Hell as being pagan in origin. People who die without meeting the dual requirements (faith and works) for salvation will be resurrected, and taught Biblical truths. If they still do not accept the teachings, they will be cast into a lake of fire and cease to exist.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wwcog.htm

Thus, I would classify the Reformed Church of God as a Christian-based cult, and would advise you, RWA, or anyone else, to stay away.

Here is a link to some reading on the Moffat version.

• Banned
gop_jeff said:
The Reformed Church of God is a splinter group which broke from the Worldwide Church of God. This group taught the following (which, as one can see from the bolded parts, are unBiblical, and therefore unchristian teachings):

Identification of the British and American people as descendants of two sons of Jacob: Ephraim and Manasseh.
Belief that the term "British" is derived from the ancient Hebrew word "beriyth" (covenant).
As the "lost" ancient Israelite tribe of Dan spread across Europe, they named many rivers, towns etc. after themselves (e.g. Danube River, Denmark, Donegal).
Rejection of the traditional Christian concept of the Trinity as being of pagan origin. Armstrong accepted a modified Arian view of the nature of God -- the teaching by Arius in the late third century CE. They believed that deity consisted of a dual divinity: The Eternal (their translation of the Hebrew name of God: Yahweh) and Jesus. He taught that that the Holy Spirit is a power, not a person. He promoted the concept of the "Family of God", which consisted of Jehovah, Jesus, and human believers in the WCG who became Gods.
At the crucifixion, Jesus' body and spirit died for three days and three nights. He was later raised by the Father and his human body was transformed into a spirit body.
Belief in Jesus is a necessary and sufficient requirement for salvation and the attainment of Heaven.
Members will be rewarded in heaven according to their works, including how closely they followed the commandments of God (the 10 Commandments, dietary laws, holy days etc.).
Rejection of the concept of Hell as being pagan in origin. People who die without meeting the dual requirements (faith and works) for salvation will be resurrected, and taught Biblical truths. If they still do not accept the teachings, they will be cast into a lake of fire and cease to exist.

Thus, I would classify the Reformed Church of God as a Christian-based cult, and would advise you, RWA, or anyone else, to stay away.

I kind of got a strange feeling when I read about all white nations somehow being part of the tribes of Israel.

• Banned
The ClayTaurus said:
If I may ask, what denomination did you used to belong, and what led to your looking for something better?

I was baptized and confirmed Episopalian, but they seem now just to be like so many mainstream churches now, basically saying religions is just a social function and going along with so much evil lib crap.

rtwngAvngr said:
I was baptized and confirmed Episopalian, but they seem now just to be like so many mainstream churches now, basically saying religions is just a social function and going along with so much evil lib crap.
The church in general, or your specific one?

• Banned
The ClayTaurus said:
The church in general, or your specific one?

Most mainstream churches. They go along with this "all roads lead to god" nonsense of the ecumenical/new age movement. That is not a christian teaching.

gop_jeff said:
RWA, I would imagine that there are plenty of Baptist congregations in your neck of the woods. Ever tried one of them?
Baptists are fairly solid, but you still have to watch it. We have two Baptist churches in our town... a "normal" one, which is still a bit legalistic for our tastes, and a wacko one, where the preacher has been known to point black families to the door, saying outright, "You're not welcome here." Also unwelcome are divorcees.

Church of Christs are smaller, independent. But some of them have weird beliefs, like what Jeff outlined.

There is a Pentecostal church down the road, which focuses on tongues, etc. But they showed us true brotherly love when our church split, allowing us to use their building and all their resources for free.

Some of the Catholic churches I have visited have truly-seeking, Christian (in the general sense of the word) members.

Seems like you just have to try them out, see what they believe, what the people are like. I hope you find a place soon.

But, sorry to butt in on a question asked of Jeff.

mom4 said:
Baptists are fairly solid, but you still have to watch it. We have two Baptist churches in our town... a "normal" one, which is still a bit legalistic for our tastes, and a wacko one, where the preacher has been known to point black families to the door, saying outright, "You're not welcome here." Also unwelcome are divorcees.

Church of Christs are smaller, independent. But some of them have weird beliefs, like what Jeff outlined.

There is a Pentecostal church down the road, which focuses on tongues, etc. But they showed us true brotherly love when our church split, allowing us to use their building and all their resources for free.

Some of the Catholic churches I have visited have truly-seeking, Christian (in the general sense of the word) members.

Seems like you just have to try them out.

But, sorry to butt in on a question asked of Jeff.

Totally agree... while most Protestant denominations have good theology, not all the individual congregations are places where you'd want to go to church. I mentioned the Baptists because I know they are plentiful in Georgia.

I grew up Church of Christ, and yes, some of them are quite legalistic. Many are not, though.

gop_jeff said:
Totally agree... while most Protestant denominations have good theology, not all the individual congregations are places where you'd want to go to church. I mentioned the Baptists because I know they are plentiful in Georgia.

I grew up Church of Christ, and yes, some of them are quite legalistic. Many are not, though.
We actually belong to a Church of Christ. Very NOT legalistic, which is why we split from the larger church. We called our new congregation Freedom Christian Church.

That was good thinking about the Baptist churches. I think you're right about them, being plentiful in that region.

I think the most important thing is the group of people. I grew up Catholic, and can take issue with some of the teachings of that church, but I probably would not have left it if we hadn't been called to our present church. There were many good-hearted people who sincerely loved Jesus in the Catholic church we went to.

I am probably not helping RWA narrow it down, though, so I'll just back out... :eek:

gop_jeff said:

Our church would call these heresies. Always dangerous, (maybe I shouldn't use 'always', but I will), whether from either extreme position.

I also agree that someone 'seeking' something different than they have, should look around. There are many Catholic churches I do not care for, but overall I've been lucky in that for the most part I've lived in 'educated' areas which is reflected in both the churches and government.

As I've written before, when young I faced a lot of discrimination in a town that was heavily German Lutheran, times change.

Its hard to find that middle of the road Church. Not legalistic, nor not all permissive.

I have found Evy Free Churches to be good. They give a basic outline of certain beliefs that cannot be changed, i.e. virgin birth, Divinity of Jesus, etc. but the rest i.e. is the easter bunny evil, they leave up to the individual churches. Many independent chruches belong to them, as to Assemblies of God. I found a very, very good Baptist church in Hermosa Beach, Ca. also.

Forum List

Back