The republicans want to raise your taxes

I guess Grover can pass out exceptions for all his promise signers

Anyone that keeps saying the "Bush tax cuts" instead of the Bush tax rates is being dishonest at best.

It was only a cut when it happened, keeping the same rate isnt a cut.

Carry on my wayward sons.

You have to keep saying bush tax cut's because the left wouldn't know what you were talking about any other way.

"Truthmatters" conveniently omitted this part of the CBS News story. I wonder why?

"Republicans cite key differences between the two "temporary" taxes, starting with the fact that the Bush measure had a 10-year life from the start. To stimulate job growth, these lawmakers say, it's better to reduce income tax rates for people and for companies than to extend the payroll tax break.

"We don't need short-term gestures. We need long-term fundamental changes in our tax structure and our regulatory structure that people who create jobs can rely on," said Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., when asked about the payroll tax matter.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., "has never believed that this type of temporary tax relief is the best way to grow the economy," said spokesman Brad Dayspring.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office says payroll tax reductions give the economy a short-term boost. But it says the benefit is bigger if employers get the tax break instead of, or along with, workers.

Some top Republicans have taken a wait-and-see approach, expecting the payroll tax issue to be a bargaining chip in the upcoming debt reduction talks.

Neither House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, nor Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has taken a firm stand on whether to extend the one-year tax cut.

Most GOP presidential candidates also are treading lightly.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney did not flatly rule out an extra year for the payroll tax cut, but he "would prefer to see the payroll tax cut on the employer side" to spur job growth, his campaign said.

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich said Republicans will fall under increasing pressure to extend the payroll tax cut. If they refuse, he said in a recent speech, "we're going to end up in a position where we're going to raise taxes on the lowest-income Americans the day they go to work."

Many Democrats also are ambivalent about Obama's proposed tax cut extension. They are more focused on protecting social programs from deep spending cuts. Some worry that a multiyear reduction in the tax designated for Social Security could undermine that program's health and stature.

For decades the payroll tax generated more revenue than the Social Security paid out in benefits. The excess was used to fund other government operations. Last year, however, Social Security benefits began outstripping revenue from its designated sources, forcing the program to start tapping its "trust fund" of government obligations."

None of that disproves Truthmatters point. Republicans voted for short measures? how did these guys vote for the TWO year extension of the Bush Tax Cuts For The Rich?

It sounds like they will let taxes expire "raising them," but that allows them to lower taxes in another area that is more effective... So in all, your taxes will be less or the same, just lowered in more productive areas? SS gets the money it needs as long as it’s not touched but taxes can go down in another area that won’t help bankrupt a program that people pay into for a lifetime…

If anything it's weird TM supoorts Obama goin out of his way to hold SS hostage and shot the middle class/poor in the face.

Or have I missed something...?

"Truthmatters" conveniently omitted this part of the CBS News story. I wonder why?

"Republicans cite key differences between the two "temporary" taxes, starting with the fact that the Bush measure had a 10-year life from the start. To stimulate job growth, these lawmakers say, it's better to reduce income tax rates for people and for companies than to extend the payroll tax break.

"We don't need short-term gestures. We need long-term fundamental changes in our tax structure and our regulatory structure that people who create jobs can rely on," said Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., when asked about the payroll tax matter.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., "has never believed that this type of temporary tax relief is the best way to grow the economy," said spokesman Brad Dayspring.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office says payroll tax reductions give the economy a short-term boost. But it says the benefit is bigger if employers get the tax break instead of, or along with, workers.

Some top Republicans have taken a wait-and-see approach, expecting the payroll tax issue to be a bargaining chip in the upcoming debt reduction talks.

Neither House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, nor Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has taken a firm stand on whether to extend the one-year tax cut.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney did not flatly rule out an extra year for the payroll tax cut, but he "would prefer to see the payroll tax cut on the employer side" to spur job growth, his campaign said.

Former House speaker Newt Gingrich said Republicans will fall under increasing pressure to extend the payroll tax cut. If they refuse, he said in a recent speech, "we're going to end up in a position where we're going to raise taxes on the lowest-income Americans the day they go to work."

Many Democrats also are ambivalent about Obama's proposed tax cut extension. They are more focused on protecting social programs from deep spending cuts. Some worry that a multiyear reduction in the tax designated for Social Security could undermine that program's health and stature.

For decades the payroll tax generated more revenue than the Social Security paid out in benefits. The excess was used to fund other government operations. Last year, however, Social Security benefits began outstripping revenue from its designated sources, forcing the program to start tapping its "trust fund" of government obligations."

None of that disproves Truthmatters point. Republicans voted for short measures? how did these guys vote for the TWO year extension of the Bush Tax Cuts For The Rich?

There was no vote that only applied to the rich.

But thanks for playing.

SS witholding levels were raised under Reagans "No new Taxes" plan.
Which did not include raising existing taxes.

It sounds like they will let taxes expire "raising them," but that allows them to lower taxes in another area that is more effective... So in all, your taxes will be less or the same, just lowered in more productive areas? SS gets the money it needs as long as it’s not touched but taxes can go down in another area that won’t help bankrupt a program that people pay into for a lifetime…

If anything it's weird TM supoorts Obama goin out of his way to hold SS hostage and shot the middle class/poor in the face.

where did i say i supported or didnt support this?

Where did I ignore that information?

Is it a tax hike under the republicans own definition of tax hike?

Yes it is.

But when obama wanted to eliminate the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. That was not a tax hike but a return to previous rates. You can't have it both ways, TDM.

who is the one saying one is not a tax hike and the other is?

That would be your party not mine.

where did i say i supported or didnt support this?

It's a known fact you aren't going to support it because it's a republican issue.

Could someone let me know when exactly the word 'may' became 'will'?

Yet again, more dishonesty from truthdon'tmatter.

One after another you step up to take cheap shots at TM.

Why not just answer the fucking question?

When we discussed letting Bush tax cuts expire, it was branded a "Tax increase."

IS letting the payroll tax holiday expire also a "Tax increase?" Yes or no?

Simple stuff here folks.

New Topics

Forum List

Back