The Republicans filibuster for Big Oil

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Is there anything more symbolic than Republican politicians debating in the dark for Big Oil?

Since they have been in the dark for most of there lives....

Is there anything more symbolic than Republican politicians debating in the dark for Big Oil?

Since they have been in the dark for most of there lives....

How about debating for cheaper gas prices? How about debating for lessening our dependacy on foreign oil? How about debating for reducing our trade deficit?

Pelosi's response....
Pelosi, in an interview published Tuesday in Politico.com, defended her efforts to stall spending bills, saying as speaker she decides which bills will make it to the House floor.

"I'm trying to save the planet. ... I will not have this debate trivialized by their excuse for their failed policy," Pelosi said. “When you win the election, you win the majority, and what is the power of the speaker? To set the agenda, the power of recognition, and I am not giving the gavel away to anyone.”

FOXNews.com - As Pelosi Tries to 'Save the Planet,' Republicans Criticize Offshore Drilling Ban - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

How about debating for cheaper gas prices? How about debating for lessening our dependacy on foreign oil? How about debating for reducing our trade deficit?

Pelosi's response....
Pelosi, in an interview published Tuesday in Politico.com, defended her efforts to stall spending bills, saying as speaker she decides which bills will make it to the House floor.

"I'm trying to save the planet. ... I will not have this debate trivialized by their excuse for their failed policy," Pelosi said. “When you win the election, you win the majority, and what is the power of the speaker? To set the agenda, the power of recognition, and I am not giving the gavel away to anyone.”FOXNews.com - As Pelosi Tries to 'Save the Planet,' Republicans Criticize Offshore Drilling Ban - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

That would include giving her gavel to millions of Americans suffering from gas prices...:cuckoo:

That would include giving her gavel to millions of Americans suffering from gas prices...:cuckoo:

Obama had the real and immediate solution to high gas prices....conservation.

And how did the asshole Republicans react to that? They made fun of conservation! They made fun of the only real and immediate solution to our problem. They are the biggest bunch of fucking assholes I have ever seen.

The Tire-Gauge Solution: No Joke - TIME

Last edited:
Obama had the real and immediate solution to high gas prices....conservation.

And what how the asshole Republicans react to that? They made fun of it! They made fun of the only real and immediate solution to our problem. They are the biggest bunch of fucking assholes I have ever seen.

The Tire-Gauge Solution: No Joke - TIME

This is just silly, come on get real....
I can see pregnant women everywhere bending over to check their tire pressure.

Isn't he the candidate that said, that the gas tax holiday was gimmick? What the hell is this then? A gimmick, to deflect from providing real solutions, so that he can appeal to his base the enviromentalist. Like drilling, which would decrease prices, decrease our dependacy on foriegn oil and reduce our huge trade deficits.

Isn't he the candidate that said, that the gas tax holiday was gimmick? What the hell is this then? A gimmick, to deflect from providing real solutions, so that he can appeal to his base the enviromentalist. Like drilling, which would decrease prices, decrease our dependacy on foriegn oil and reduce our huge trade deficits.

No, conservation is the immediate solution to our problem, and it is already working. Demand for gasoline is down, and the price has dropped as a result. Drilling will produce more oil 10 years down the road by which time we could have switched to alternatives if we had Democratic leadership.

Pregnant women?

That's an old bullshit argument.....I remember when they were debating women in the military some dumb Senator got us and said he was against it because, "They'll be pregnant women fighting in the trenches." Some things never change.

No, conservation is the immediate solution to our problem, and it is already working. Demand for gasoline is down, and the price has dropped as a result. Drilling will produce more oil 10 years down the road by which time we could have switched to alternatives if we had Democratic leadership.

It seems that the price of oil has been dropping steadily since Bush announced that he was lifting the executive ban on offshore drilling. It started dropping the next day and has been on a steady downward trend since. Our gas is priced on futures. If futures traders feel there is going to be an increasing supply, oil prices drop. Demand has also helped in this downward trend too as well. But thinking that all or a vast majority of Americans are going to check their tire pressure and get tune ups is just silly.

Pregnant women?

That's an old bullshit argument.....I remember when they were debating women in the military some dumb Senator got us and said he was against it because, "They'll be pregnant women fighting in the trenches." Some things never change.

No a realist, there are women that are pregnant no? There are the disabled and etc....

Last edited:
It seems that the price of oil has been dropping steadily since Bush announced that he was lifting the executive ban on offshore drilling. It started dropping the next day and has been on a steady downward trend since. Our gas is priced on futures. If futures traders feel there is going to be an increasing supply, oil prices drop. Demand has also helped in this downward trend too as well. But thinking that all or a vast majority of Americans are going to check their tire pressure and get tune ups is just silly.

No, it is not silly to tell Americans to conserve gas. It is practical. Debating in the dark for Big Oil is silly.

And yes, there is this thing called demand that effects the price. Americans drove 10 billion miles less last month. Just our way of saying, "Fuck you, Big Oil."

How smart is Obama? He comes up with a solution to the problem that doesn't cost any money and has an immediate effect.

Beats the hell out of waiting 10 years to give Big Oil more money, which is the Republican solution.

No, it is not silly to tell Americans to conserve gas. It is practical. Debating in the dark for Big Oil is silly.

And yes, there is this thing called demand that effects the price. Americans drove 10 billion miles less last month. Just our way of saying, "Fuck you, Big Oil."

There is another side to demand its called supply, which we could effect by allowing drilling.

Another way to say it is, our economy shrunk. While gas prices effected Americans so much that they didn't go on vacations, stayed at home more instead of going to the mall and buying this and that.....Our economy had less activity.

How smart is Obama? He comes up with a solution to the problem that doesn't cost any money and has an immediate effect.

Beats the hell out of waiting 10 years to give Big Oil more money, which is the Republican solution.
BTW didn't you say you were for more drilling in another thread. 10 years is just a flat out lie, no way. I could post links if you would like? Also the promise of more drilling would have an immediate effect on futures prices. Which would in turn effect present day prices.

There is another side to demand its called supply, which we could effect by allowing drilling.

Another way to say it is, our economy shrunk. While gas prices effected Americans so much that they didn't go on vacations, stayed at home more instead of going to the mall and buying this and that.....Our economy had less activity.

Oh, no! Americans are saving gas! Fewer profits for Exxon!
What's a Republican to do? I know! We'll filibuster for coastal drilling that won't have an effect for 10 years at the earliest! And we'll make fun of conservation! Which could help the problem right now today and have an immediate impact! That's what we'll do! Because we are only interested in more profit for Big Oil!

BTW didn't you say you were for more drilling in another thread. 10 years is just a flat out lie, no way. I could post links if you would like? Also the promise of more drilling would have an immediate effect on futures prices. Which would in turn effect present day prices.

Yes, I am for coastal drilling, and solar power, and wind power, and conservation. You know why? Because all of those things work.

But the best long term solution is alternative energy because it is 100% American, and it will never run out.

Oh, no! Americans are saving gas! Fewer profits for Exxon! What's a Republican to do? I know! We'll filibuster for coastal drilling that won't have an effect for 10 years at the earliest! And we'll make fun of conservation! Which could help the problem right now today and have an immediate impact! That's what we'll do! Because we are only interested in more profit for Big Oil!
You think I want Exxon to have larger profits....lmao
All you have to do is read. It will reduce prices immediately cause gas is priced a great deal by what futures prices of oil are, it would reduce our dependacy on foreign oil and reduce our trade deficits. Not to mention increase tax revenues....

You think I want Exxon to have larger profits....lmao
All you have to do is read. It will reduce prices immediately cause gas is priced a great deal by what futures prices of oil are, it would reduce our dependacy on foreign oil and reduce our trade deficits. Not to mention increase tax revenues....

Sorry, supply and demand fixes the price of oil because it is a homogeneous good. Of course when the supply is in the hands of a few large companies it tips the scale in one direction. Now it is time for the American consumer to tip it back. And the new president should move the country to clean energy. That is if a Democrat is elected. If not, we will see more of the same.

Oh, no! Americans are saving gas! Fewer profits for Exxon!
What's a Republican to do? I know! We'll filibuster for coastal drilling that won't have an effect for 10 years at the earliest! And we'll make fun of conservation! Which could help the problem right now today and have an immediate impact! That's what we'll do! Because we are only interested in more profit for Big Oil!

BTW didn't you say you were for more drilling in another thread? Are you ignoring this on purpose?

While Nancy is busy saving the planet, and the Republicans are crying crocodile tears for the people, the state of Maine is trying to figure out what in hell to do for the people here in Maine. the people who are collectively, the most heavily dependent on home heating oil people in AMERICA

They're talking about creating day time HEAT SHELTERS, folks.

That's how serious the coming crises in home heating fuel prices is here in Maine, people. Heating season really starts in late August and early Septermber here in Maine, usually, BTW.

Mainers are mostly po' White folk. (think the pre-bubbling crude Jeb Clampet, and you're not so far off the beam)

No state in the union has lost (percentage-wise I mean) more industrial jobs to FREE TRADE, than Maine

The fishing industry is bust; the timber industry is bust, the paper industry is bust, and the garment and small manufacturing industries are bust, too.

And the more than doubling prices for home heating fuel in the last year is apt to kill many of my fellow Mainers, if something isn't done.

Cut down the woods you say?

Sorry folks, most of the vast woods in Maine are owned by South African Corporations.

Maine has the smallest proportion of publically owned lands in the nation.

Forum List

Back