The republican solution to poverty doesn’t make any sense

There is always going to be poverty and poor people that is the reality of the world we live in and it's not something politicans and government can fix. LBJ declared war on poverty in 1964 and despite the huge amount of money spent on anti-poverty programs over the years the impact has been minimal. I don't have a solution to the problem and after 50 plus years no politican Democrat or Republican has come up with one either.

Actually that's a factually inaccurate statement. Take a look at the US poverty level when the program started and now then you'll see different. It hasn't ended poverty but it has reduced it greatly. However a raise in wages can do it, but businesses won't do that and far too many flunkies are taking the side of ownership who don't own a business which enables them to still pay wages that keep working people in poverty.

There is always going to be poverty and poor people that is the reality of the world we live in and it's not something politicans and government can fix. LBJ declared war on poverty in 1964 and despite the huge amount of money spent on anti-poverty programs over the years the impact has been minimal. I don't have a solution to the problem and after 50 plus years no politican Democrat or Republican has come up with one either.
LBJ's real war wasn't on poverty, it was on the black male head of household. He made good on his pledge to "have them ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years" by replacing the black father with a government check. He was one of the most evil Progressive scumbags right up there with Stalin, Mao, Hitler and FDR
Leave it to you, a racist, to make it about race. But it did give you a chance to mention your heroes:
Stalin, Mao and Hitler. Don't know why you threw FDR in there. FDR saved America from your heroes. But don't worry, Trump is doing everything he can to make Putin America's real leader. For you, that should be comforting.
the poster who mentions skin color even more than tank does,calling someone a racist.....now that is hilarious....

Actually that's a factually inaccurate statement. Take a look at the US poverty level when the program started and now then you'll see different. It hasn't ended poverty but it has reduced it greatly. However a raise in wages can do it, but businesses won't do that and far too many flunkies are taking the side of ownership who don't own a business which enables them to still pay wages that keep working people in poverty.

The War on Poverty: 50 years of failure

There will always be poverty, but our poverty rate is much higher than other developed nations. The income disparity is the widest in the world.
Again, define poverty?
Poverty is how white Appalachian Republicans live in 13 red states.

Pictured: The modern day poverty of Kentucky where people live with no running water or electricity | Daily Mail Online

Mapping Poverty in the Appalachian Region

They vote Trump and GOP because Republicans scare them with racial fears and falsely promise them jobs and healthcare. Republicans know they are stooges because they are white and the GOP leadership is white so they don't want to believe other white people are using them for their own gain. Putting Appalachian children at risk and not caring.

A new study shows infant mortality is 16 percent higher in Appalachia than the rest of the country

I truly feel sorry for them on one hand. But after 150 years of failed GOP economic policies, they should know better.

There will always be poverty, but our poverty rate is much higher than other developed nations. The income disparity is the widest in the world.
Again, define poverty?

Pictured: The modern day poverty of Kentucky where people live with no running water or electricity | Daily Mail Online

They vote Trump and GOP because Republicans scare them with racial fears and falsely promise them jobs and healthcare. Republicans know they are stooges because they are white and the GOP leadership is white so they don't want to believe other white people are using them for their own gain. Putting Appalachian children at risk and not caring.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ity-disparity-grows-in-appalachia-study-finds

I truly feel sorry for them on one hand. But after 150 years of failed GOP economic policies, they should know better.

Zzzx you do know they have a Walmart and McDonald's right?

Again, define poverty?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ity-disparity-grows-in-appalachia-study-finds

Wait a second 150 years? The damn democrats controlled the south up to a few decades ago you numb nuts.

""""" So trumpeters, where is the infrastructure that our country was promised going to come from? Trumpet is busy stealing all the funds for a worthless wall, a war he is desperately trying to start in order to save his own ass, and in the process, nothing is being returned to the country. How does it feel to be conned?"""""

It would be refreshing if conservatives were honest for a change and admit they couldn’t care less about the poor.

Sure we care about the poor. The problem is the Democrats have made it so difficult to distinguish between the poor, the irresponsible, and the users.

The more people on the dole, the more likely Democrat voters. So they have no intentions of reducing poverty. In fact, it's beneficial to them to increase poverty.

Even if every poor person worked hard and went to school to get better pay, who would do all those entry level jobs that are the backbone of the economy? Now of course you might be dense and say “teenagers”, but there are many entry jobs kids cannot do and even they could, there wouldn’t be nearly enough of them working during the school year.

So what’s the solution to help alleviate poverty, republicans?

Your question seems to be contradictory.

If you want to alleviate poverty...... then supposedly you WANT to have FEWER people working those low wage jobs.

Right? Isn't that the whole point?

You are saying who is going to do these low wage jobs, if everyone get's better jobs. Well fewer people are going to do those jobs. That's the goal. The whole goal is to have fewer people doing low-wage jobs, so that more are doing high-wage jobs. Thus fewer people are in poverty.

That's the whole point.

I'm confused by the question. The implication is that you WANT people to be working Low-Wage jobs, and then ask how do we get people out of poverty.

You can't. There is no way to have people who produce low-value work, to end up wealthy. The solution is that they need to do high-value work. That involves then, logically, not doing low-value work.
Well, see that doesn’t make any sense, because while it’d be best for more people to seek higher wage pay, you would still need enough people left behind in those jobs. What I’m suggesting is paying the low wage jobs more because those jobs are widespread and mostly filled with adults. My point is that it is stupid to assume most or all those people could leave those jobs behind without there being a massive amount of vacant positions.

Also, many skilled labor jobs are still behind on the cost of living standards nationwide.

We tried your plan. That was 2007-2009. We raised the minimum wage by 38%. The result was mass layoffs, that resulted in the economy crashing.

Same thing happened in Greece. They had a minimum wage that was tied to inflation, and the result was unemployment that hit almost 30%.

You have a car I assume. I also assume your car needs an oil change. If the government said that oil change workers need a minimum of $100 an hour, and you want to the shop, and they said your oil change was going to be $75, what would you do?

I can tell you what I would do... I would go buy the oil at the part store for $10, and change my oil myself. So would a ton of people.

Result? The oil change employees end up unemployed (unless they work for Lexus or some luxury brand where people are used to that).

You can make the minimum wage, whatever you want. The real minimum wage, is always ZERO. The employer can't pay the employee, more than the customer is willing to pay.

Over in Denmark, the cost of a big mac meal, was $17. Why? Because the wages they pay in Denmark for a burger flipper is $16/hour. As a result, very few people (relative to the US) go to McDonald's. It's so expensive. People just eat at home. There are very few McDonald's in Denmark, because the food is so expensive.

And by the way, when you just increase the wages, there are economic effects. When wages go up, the cost of living goes up. Again, in Denmark where wages are relatively high, so is everything else.

The cost of a 900 sq.ft apartment in Denmark is $2,400/month. Here in Columbus, Ohio, you can get a 1300/sq.ft 2 bed, 1.5 bath, for $875 a month.

Why do you think that is? There's a simple economic reason. Supply and demand. When you increase wages drastically, those people with those wages, start demanding more. Demand goes up, and the price goes up.

This is why minimum wage laws, never work. You could make the minimum wage $100/hour, and everyone making $100/hour would end up poor. Because the price of everything would adjust to the new normal demand. Resulting in the people making minimum wage at $100, would still be the poorest people in the economy.
1) lol okay what? You think the economy floundered because of the minimum wage? Um no. It was caused by the bank crisis.

2) I seriously doubt that was the reason for Greece’s issues. Granted I don’t know, but that sounds like bullshit.

3) Why would anyone suggest $100 wage? What you aren’t getting is that the rise in inflation depends on how high the wage is raised. For instance, if you raised the federal minimum wage to $10 (thus raising state min wages as a result), prices would go up pennies on the dollar. Meanwhile, these people would be making a couple hundred more each month. That’s more money going into the economy. Capitalism 101.

LBJ's real war wasn't on poverty, it was on the black male head of household. He made good on his pledge to "have them ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years" by replacing the black father with a government check. He was one of the most evil Progressive scumbags right up there with Stalin, Mao, Hitler and FDR
Leave it to you, a racist, to make it about race. But it did give you a chance to mention your heroes:
Stalin, Mao and Hitler. Don't know why you threw FDR in there. FDR saved America from your heroes. But don't worry, Trump is doing everything he can to make Putin America's real leader. For you, that should be comforting.
the poster who mentions skin color even more than tank does,calling someone a racist.....now that is hilarious....
You're right. He does bring up skin color a lot.

But Republicans are 90% white. They spend most of their time in the White GOP bubble so skin color isn't something they usually notice. Unless a black kid is shot. Then they send the shooter money. Like with Zimmerman.

FSLV54MG5KP9VIA.LARGE.jpg

It would be refreshing if conservatives were honest for a change and admit they couldn’t care less about the poor.

Sure we care about the poor. The problem is the Democrats have made it so difficult to distinguish between the poor, the irresponsible, and the users.

The more people on the dole, the more likely Democrat voters. So they have no intentions of reducing poverty. In fact, it's beneficial to them to increase poverty.
So millions of whites in Appalachia are irresponsible. Got it. Maybe that's why they continue to vote GOP. Even after what other whites think of them.

Even if every poor person worked hard and went to school to get better pay, who would do all those entry level jobs that are the backbone of the economy? Now of course you might be dense and say “teenagers”, but there are many entry jobs kids cannot do and even they could, there wouldn’t be nearly enough of them working during the school year.

Work or Die! is the Only solution the right wing ever brings to the table.

It would be even more refreshing if you simply came clean and stated you don't care about poor people because to you, they are just a club to further you tyrannical agenda.

Work or Die! is the Only solution the right wing ever brings to the table.
They work their asses off. Don't make much money. Don't have healthcare. And still they die.

And the GOP laughs and laughs and laughs and..............

The Republican ‘solution’ to most everything doesn’t make any sense.

And Republicans have no desire to end poverty; conservative economic dogma maintains that one is poor as a consequence of his own failings, poor decisions, and an inability to compete and be successful in a capitalist system – in essence Social Darwinism.

For conservatives the poor have only themselves to blame and deserve neither assistance nor a ‘solution.’

In most cases, you are correct, but not in all.

Most poverty is caused by irresponsibility and/or laziness. We on the right believe that when you reward irresponsibility or laziness, you only create more of it. What we have in our country today (and have had for a long time) is proof of our theory.

Last edited:
When half the population is teaching their children that poverty is the government's problem and not their own, no solution will ever suffice.

All that bribery money ya took from the Iranians I bet could help a few people

Forum List

Back