The Republican Party

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Just Sayin...

History of the United States Republican Party
Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican President (1861–1865)

Founded in the Northern states in 1854 by anti-slavery activists, modernizers, ex-Whigs and ex-Free Soilers, the Republican Party quickly became the principal opposition to the dominant Southern Democratic Party and the briefly popular Know Nothing Party. The main cause was opposition to the Kansas–Nebraska Act, which repealed the Missouri Compromise by which slavery was kept out of Kansas. The Northern Republicans saw the expansion of slavery as a great evil. The first public meeting where the name "Republican" was suggested for a new anti-slavery party was held on March 20, 1854 in a schoolhouse in Ripon, Wisconsin.[5]

The first official party convention was held on July 6, 1854 in Jackson, Michigan. By 1858, the Republicans dominated nearly all Northern states. The Republican Party first came to power in 1860 with the election of Lincoln to the Presidency and Republicans in control of Congress and again, the Northern states. It oversaw the saving of the union, the end of slavery, and the provision of equal rights to all men in the American Civil War and Reconstruction, 1861-1877.[6]

Republican Party (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh god if I hear another person try and claim the republican party of today is the progressive party, I'm gonna melt lol it's crazy

More white slaves were brought into the colonies. (At least I heard, either way a lot.)

That is utterly, completely insane. No one could possibly believe that.

well they did have indentured servants....which were slaves...but they had a 7 year limit, then they went free.....and it was voluntary

But indians were slaves and blacks owned slaves as well.....but lets face facts, name a group that hasnt had to endure slavery at some point....you cant

Buckeye -

Yes, and most of those indentured servants were ex-slaves. They were also mostly black.

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the slave trade to the Americas was overwhelmingly one of white people owning black slaves.

The Portuguse alone carried 4.65 million slaves to their colonies - 100% of those were black.

Old Abe had no use for black people. But his better nature realized that the constitution didn't allow for slavery.

Back in those days, the Republicans were the Liberals and the Democrats were the social conservatives.

These days, Lincoln would be rinoed out of the GOP faster than Lumpy could creep.

But it is fun to watch Lumpy the Creeper play the race card. :lol:

Last edited:
Old Abe had no use for black people. But his better nature realized that the constitution didn't allow for slavery.

Back in those days, the Republicans were the Liberals and the Democrats were the social conservatives.

These days, Lincoln would be rinoed out of the GOP faster than Lumpy could creep.

But it is fun to watch Lumpy the Creeper play the race card. :lol:

Sheesh.. you're kinda extra extra bitchy today Ravi...:lol:

Thanks for the re-written, liberal version of history..no wonder you libs are so F'd up..

More white slaves were brought into the colonies. (At least I heard, either way a lot.)

well they did have indentured servants....which were slaves...but they had a 7 year limit, then they went free.....and it was voluntary

But indians were slaves and blacks owned slaves as well.....but lets face facts, name a group that hasnt had to endure slavery at some point....you cant

The indigenous people of Antarctica were never enslaved. :D

Slavery isn't just a black issue but one of all races. This is what people need to understand.

And there were many years of black slavery in Africa, before America. Blacks were owned by blacks.

Hate the concept of ownership of people by people.....

Slavery in Africa and America
But, but, but, they did it, too! in no way excuses what Americans did.

Did you pay attention in Bible class?

Slavery isn't just a black issue but one of all races. This is what people need to understand.

And there were many years of black slavery in Africa, before America. Blacks were owned by blacks.

Hate the concept of ownership of people by people.....

Slavery in Africa and America

Thanks AquaAthena, great information....I'm about to cook dinner but I'll be back later..

Watch out for Ravi, It seems I inadvertently stepped on her race card...:lol:

Last edited:
Buckeye -

Yes, and most of those indentured servants were ex-slaves. They were also mostly black.

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the slave trade to the Americas was overwhelmingly one of white people owning black slaves.

The Portuguse alone carried 4.65 million slaves to their colonies - 100% of those were black.

Who disputed it.....it was started by the Dutch.....
My point is, everyone has been a slave and Africa still has slavery?

You realize Americans and Europeans got slaves from other blacks in Africa, right? Not many went down like Kunte Kinte

The indigenous people of Antarctica were never enslaved. :D

LOL yeah, I missed those, arent they led by Loki?

Forum List

Back