The religious myth of forgiveness is a gift to yourself

No matter what I say in this thread you people will spew hate on it.

Its how you opperate

answer my question and I won't spew hate on it as long as your not hateful toward me in your answer.

I think its a religious myth

I'm non-religious yet I forgive people often. I'm not sure what you are actually trying to say.

How does forgiving someone who did something bad/wrong have anything to do with religion?

quit trying to order me arround

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg]Do it! Do it! Do it! - YouTube[/ame]

why do you think religion seems to try and take the intellectual process out of forgiveness?

and they cant keep up with the intellectual discuss so they go straight to defualt mode.

hate spew and personal insults

So why bring religion into it? Don't atheists or agnostics ever forgive?

You don't think forgiving someone else is a positive thing for you to do for yourself? Guess you've never tried it, I feel bad for you.

About "deserve", do you think you deserve forgiveness from others, and in particular do you think you can or should forgive yourself for past misdeeds? What difference does it make for what they deserve? What about what you deserve, hating on someone else has to be hard on yourself.

An interesting question. Kind of sad it needs to be asked, because isnt the very fact that someone needs forgiving mean they don't deserve it?

Trying to understand you is ordering you around?

You either want us to understand you and are willing to explain yourself, or you don't want us to understand and wont. And if it's the latter, why waste time with the thread?

why do you think religion seems to try and take the intellectual process out of forgiveness?

What makes you think they do?

Maybe doing something is more important than understanding how and why to do it.

I may understand nutrition and how to eat right. But until I put the donuts down and pick up the veggies, it's not going to help much.

and they cant keep up with the intellectual discuss so they go straight to defualt mode.

We've been trying to start an intellectual discussion. But you've been resisting any attempt to elaborate what the heck you're talking about so we have to guess.

Trying to understand you is ordering you around?

You either want us to understand you and are willing to explain yourself, or you don't want us to understand and wont. And if it's the latter, why waste time with the thread?

i'm starting to feel it was the latter. I have been nice in my posts, i even posted a silly "starsky and hutch" video for smiles.

Disjointed, incoherent rambling on your part is not intellectual discussion. We can't *keep up* with it because it makes absolutely no sense in the first place.

Are you schizophrenic? Serious question.

Last edited:

You don't think forgiving someone else is a positive thing for you to do for yourself? Guess you've never tried it, I feel bad for you.

About "deserve", do you think you deserve forgiveness from others, and in particular do you think you can or should forgive yourself for past misdeeds? What difference does it make for what they deserve? What about what you deserve, hating on someone else has to be hard on yourself.

An interesting question. Kind of sad it needs to be asked, because isnt the very fact that someone needs forgiving mean they don't deserve it?

Whether they deserve it or not is beside the point. The question is whether you are going to carry around hate and resentment and anger at someone your whole life, or are you going to try to let it go? Not you personally, people in general. What about carrying around hate and anger at yourself, for hurtful/harmful things you might've said or done in the past? Does it matter whether you deserve forgiveness from yourself or not, seems to me the smart thing to do is admit to yourself you screwed up, admit it to the other person if you can, make amends if possible, and move on.

Last edited:

Whether they deserve it or not is beside the point. The question is whether you are going to carry around hate and resentment and anger at someone your whole life, or are you going to try to let it go?

Because it is an intellectual process and most religions try to make an emotional one that is an emotional benifit to the forgiver.

Its a myth.

To really forgive you have to understand.

You can find peace without having to forgive.

They were wrong not you.

why should it eat at the harmed that the person who harmed you is so bad they dont deserve forgivance?

Hate and desire for retribution is what tears people up.

You can give hate up and retribution and still not forgive.

New Topics

Forum List

Back