The Religion of Atheism

I'm agnositc, but in my opinion, religion isn't a problem. Its Man's interpretation and use of religion that creates problems.

Has anyone said that religion was a problem in this thread?

did I say religion was a problem?

According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place

I wonder what on earth I was talking about.

I'm agnositc, but in my opinion, religion isn't a problem. Its Man's interpretation and use of religion that creates problems.

Has anyone said that religion was a problem in this thread?

did I say religion was a problem?

According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place

I wonder what on earth I was talking about.

Lol – I forgot the op apparently. Well, I stand corrected. The OP made an asinine assertion about what atheists believe and that was what you were responding to.

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by pointing fingers of accusation at theists and accusing theists of committing all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions," as they are fond of putting it. According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 6 million killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic "Christian."

In other words, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system. The belief system of atheism is centered around the philosophy of "secular-humanism."

3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin federal court ruling as well as the U.S. Supreme Court—the highest court in the land.
STALIN did his killing under the banner of communism not theism if you count human right violation committed under any religiuos flag history it far surpasses any # you can come up with even if we include stalin and its still going on .
Its not a believe in a supreme being that causes humans to kill each other its ORGANIZED RELIGION in its many forms .
catholics against jews
jews against muslims
muslims agianst chriistians
catholics against protestants
the crusades
etc etc
add them up and there is a mass of millions killed by some religion or another since time began ALL IN THE NAME OF GOD

i dont know any atheists who want to remove religion the bible and a belief in god from the world and i know many . if thats what you believe GO FOR IT.
all they want if for religion to be a *private matter* if you want to praise g-d any g-d keep it to yourself and out of the laws of the country .
atheists dont go around preaching and we dont expect you to
if i want to hear what you say about g-d ,,eternal life etc etc i will come visit your church .

You are so wrong its laughable.

now if you KNOW SO MANY atheists who want to do away with religion please give me there names i would like to meet them
orherwise when you make a statement like you made in the 1st paragraph please label it MY OPINION ONLY

Since you have done a lot of lecturing lets give you some back
listen carefully

there are many religions in this world and some that were are now extinct . all rely on faith ,superstition ,and fear of the unknown for there existence
they have differant g-ds some are more popular than others
they all have two things in common
(1)they all believe they are the *RIGHT ONE *
(2 ) they all are as VALID as each other .
thats the way it is and always has been
LIVE WITH IT

Last edited:
there are many religions in this world and some that were are now extinct . all rely on faith ,superstition ,and fear of the unknown for there existence
LIVE WITH IT

all rely on faith ,superstition ,and fear of the unknown for there existence

that would not include Atheism - by your own definition as a religion.

LIVE WITH IT

all rely on faith ,superstition ,and fear of the unknown for there existence

that would not include Atheism - by your own definition as a religion.

correct i dont believe atheism is a religion

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

The 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court is not the only one that said atheism is a religion. The U.S. Supreme Court has said on numerous occasions that atheism is a religion. The U.S. Supreme Court in its 1961 ruling said: "a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being." In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion.

Court rules atheism a religion

An atheist is a secular humanist by default, because a secular humanist is someone who insists he/she can make wise decisions without the need of instructions from a supernatural god. In other words, arguing that atheists aren't secular humanists is a lost cause. Ask any of them if they can do better without a supernatural god, and see what they'll tell you. If they didn't feel they could do better for themselves without God, they would not have become atheists from the get-go.

Last edited:
People can gather together and "worship" atheism as a religion.
People can also just be atheists. ie do not believe in any god or afterlife.
Just as those who worship God can be involved in a religion or not.

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

The 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court is not the only one that said atheism is a religion. The U.S. Supreme Court has said on numerous occasions that atheism is a religion. The U.S. Supreme Court in its 1961 ruling said: "a religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being." In the 1961 case of Torcaso v. Watkins, the court described "secular humanism" as a religion.

Court rules atheism a religion

An atheist is a secular humanist by default, because a secular humanist is someone who insists he/she can make wise decisions without the need of instructions from a supernatural god. In other words, arguing that atheists aren't secular humanists is a lost cause. Ask any of them if they can do better without a supernatural god, and see what they'll tell you. If they didn't feel they could do better for themselves without God, they would not have become atheists from the get-go.

That has already been addressed in this thread and shown that you are absolutely incorrect.

It does not matter anyway, what the SCOTUS says is a matter of law and it is not law that we are talking about in this thread.

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by pointing fingers of accusation at theists and accusing theists of committing all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions," as they are fond of putting it. According to atheists, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 6 million killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic "Christian."

In other words, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system. The belief system of atheism is centered around the philosophy of "secular-humanism."

3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin federal court ruling as well as the U.S. Supreme Court—the highest court in the land.
STALIN did his killing under the banner of communism not theism if you count human right violation committed under any religiuos flag history it far surpasses any # you can come up with even if we include stalin and its still going on .
ALTER2EGO -to- JOHN A:

And it just so happens his belief system was atheism, which is itself a religious system that is broken down into various ideologies or denominations. Secular Humanism is one of those ideologies according to the U.S. Supreme Court. Although U.S. court rulings do not apply overseas, if Stalin were alive today, the minute he set foot on U.S. soil, he would have been declared a member of the Religion of Atheism/Secular Humanism.

Its not a believe in a supreme being that causes humans to kill each other its ORGANIZED RELIGION in its many forms .
catholics against jews
jews against muslims
the crusades
etc etc
add them up and there is a mass of millions killed by some religion or another since time began ALL IN THE NAME OF GOD
ALTER2EGO -to- JOHN A:
Why are you telling me what I already said in Paragraph 3 of my opening post? I also mentioned in Paragraph 3 of my OP that false religious teachings is the root cause of the problem. So although people in various religions claim they are doing the killings in the name of god, the question one should be asking is: "Which god?" Especially since the word "god" is merely a title that can be assigned to anyone and anything.

Below is the dictionary definition of the word "god". Keep your eyes on the words in bold print within the definition.

WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY DEFINITION OF "GOD":

1. any of various beings conceived of as supernatural, immortal and having special powers over the lives and affairs of people and the course of nature

2. a person or thing deified or excessively honored or admired

God | Easy to understand definition of god by Your Dictionary

~***~

Atheism is a religion as much as abstinence is a sexual position.

When a person takes atheism from neutrality towards religon and makes it hostility towards religion, they become part of the equation.

It is similar to the argument over zero really being a number, or not.

Behavior does not make a religion. Belief makes a religion. Just because people speak up against religion, doesn't mean they themselves are a religion. This is a "tu quoque" fallacy.

catholics against jews
jews against muslims
the crusades
etc etc
ALTER2EGO -to- JOHN A:
Unrighteous killings by members of false religions was not done by authority of Jehovah. Since those that committed the acts were following religious teachings not found anywhere in the Judeo-Christian Bible, you could hardly expect God to take responsibility for what false religion did, especially since God made it clear in his inspired Word, the Bible, that people's works/actions show them up for what they truly are.

"They publicly declare they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort." (Titus 1:16)

~***~

Last edited:
One would have to belong to or associate with a group who hold similiar beliefs of non belief to make it a religion.

Not really. a monastic hermit does not associate with anyone (the hermit thing), and while following the basic tenents of a religon may have their own view of exact beliefs. Is this person religous?

More like a heretic. Remember why Jesus was cruxified.

He was crucified at the request of the leaders of the Jewish religion.
Right after he ran the moneychangers from the temple.

Alter2Ego

How can you say your religion is true when other religions had been around long before Judaism-Christianity?
ALTER2EGO -to- TUATARA:
Several centuries, the argument was made that earth is the center of the universe. The majority of the Europeans went with that ideology. It turns out, it was wrong. It was later found that earth actually revolves around the sun. So are you telling me that anything that happens first is automatically correct, and what comes after is automatically wrong?

Exactly what is your point?

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Why did you leave out the Vatican and the Roman Catholic Church (the iron feet of Christianity) who's laws had millions and millions of people killed, which goes directly against God's laws (Thou shalt NOT KILL).

I wouldn't judge any atheists if I were you. Otherwise, you're disobeying another one of God's commandments, "Thou shalt NOT bear false witness against they neighbor".

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Why did you leave out the Vatican and the Roman Catholic Church (the iron feet of Christianity) who's laws had millions and millions of people killed, which goes directly against God's laws (Thou shalt NOT KILL).

I wouldn't judge any atheists if I were you. Otherwise, you're disobeying another one of God's commandments, "Thou shalt NOT bear false witness against they neighbor".

Thou shall not kill is a bad translation saint. The law is thou shall not commit murder.

Several centuries, the argument was made that earth is the center of the universe. The majority of the Europeans went with that ideology. It turns out, it was wrong. It was later found that earth actually revolves around the sun. So are you telling me that anything that happens first is automatically correct, and what comes after is automatically wrong?

Exactly what is your point?
There are so many things science has found out that people didn't know about years ago. What does that have to do with the question I asked. The religion you believe in didn't exist for thousands of years. If you apply any kind of logic why would a creator wait so long to expose himself. Why only expose himself to a minute amount of illiterate people. Why not expose himself to all people in every culture. Or is playing favourites his kind of game?

I don't think Atheism is a religion. It is a philosophy of life. Just like religions are.

........Philosophy of life......
............/......\................
..Atheism......Religion........

New Topics

Forum List

Back