The Recovery Thread

if oil continues to go up in price, and the saudi's move to another currency other than the dollar to trade oil....it will be the end to life as we know it.....our credit rating will fall, other countries will stop owning the dollar, our government will keep printing money, and INFLATION will skyrocket.... along with unemployment....

gosh, am i doom and gloomer or a seer? :(

Food Care imho, more than oil...the UN index is at its highest point ever I believe and no small part of the ME angst either...we also just gave permission for the ethanol thieves to up the % mixture by a third to 15%.......and No I think you are right to be worried.

And conveniently, the Government excludes both food and energy from the inflation rate.

Yup. When week after week the new unemployment claims are in the hundreds of thousands and the new jobs reported for the month are less than a hundred thousand, I don't know. It seems to me that it is safe to assume that more people are out of work than are people who found jobs?

All the evidence is that jobs are being created and people are being absorbed back into the workforce.

But I think most people would agree that jobs aren't being created fast enough.

Q- if people are being abosrbed.....back into workforce, they are looking looking for jobs, if this grows, how is this seen statistically?..wouldn't the unemployment rate go ...up?

Generally, yes. If more people start looking for jobs than those finding jobs, then yes, the rate will go up. Toro is wrong about people being absorbed back into the labor force...the labor force participation rate is at its lowest since 1984, and employment to population is at its lowest since 1983.

What we're probably seeing are structural problems: a mis-match of available skills and skills in demand. A laid-off construction worker can't get a job as an X-Ray tech.

if oil continues to go up in price, and the saudi's move to another currency other than the dollar to trade oil....it will be the end to life as we know it.....our credit rating will fall, other countries will stop owning the dollar, our government will keep printing money, and INFLATION will skyrocket.... along with unemployment....

gosh, am i doom and gloomer or a seer? :(

Food Care imho, more than oil...the UN index is at its highest point ever I believe and no small part of the ME angst either...we also just gave permission for the ethanol thieves to up the % mixture by a third to 15%.......and No I think you are right to be worried.

And conveniently, the Government excludes both food and energy from the inflation rate.

Here's the last CPI Press Release Gee...food and energy are the two components talked about most.

I'm sure I've corrected you on the false belief that food and energy are excluded.

"Compounding those problems, from homelessness to poverty, is the runaway growth of inequality in the last decade.

"The top 1/10 of 1 percent of Americans now earn as much as the bottom 120 millions of us.

"The expanding inequality is further evident in the exceptional fact that the top 1 percent owns 70 percent of all financial assets.

"Not only is there no political effort to address this massive inequality, there is, in fact, a counter movement by both political parties to embrace a politics of austerity that would impose even more financial burdens on the poor and working class in the United States."

While I can't find a link at the moment, I have read within the last week that during the last two years the richest 1% of this country have increased their share of national wealth by two full percentage points.

If austerity is required at this point, should it not apply to all classes?

Selective Compassion...

All the evidence is that jobs are being created and people are being absorbed back into the workforce.

But I think most people would agree that jobs aren't being created fast enough.

Q- if people are being abosrbed.....back into workforce, they are looking looking for jobs, if this grows, how is this seen statistically?..wouldn't the unemployment rate go ...up?

Generally, yes. If more people start looking for jobs than those finding jobs, then yes, the rate will go up. Toro is wrong about people being absorbed back into the labor force...the labor force participation rate is at its lowest since 1984, and employment to population is at its lowest since 1983.

What we're probably seeing are structural problems: a mis-match of available skills and skills in demand. A laid-off construction worker can't get a job as an X-Ray tech.

What I meant to convey was that employment is rising. Often, there is either no change or an increase in the rate of unemployment when job growth increases as people re-enter the workforce as jobs are being created.

Last edited:
ISM PMI is at its highest level in decades.

pmi_composite.png.scaled1000.png

And the ISM manufacturing employment index is near 40-year highs, implying that job creation is about to pick up.

ism_employment.png.scaled1000.png

Survey Says: Manufacturing Is Hot, And Payrolls Still Understated - macrofugue

Forum List

Back