The Recession is officially over, but the Economy is still falling.

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
Bernanke and Geitner have their positive GDP, but the economy is still falling and falling and falling. This is a fine mess we are in.

You really are bat shit crazy aren't you?

Government spending brought GDP up to 3.5

"Economists said the massive stimulus injected by the U.S. government, such as the cash for clunkers program that lifted car sales, helped boost consumer spending. Since the federal stimulus reached its maximum effect in the third quarter and the unemployment rate remains high, there's uncertainty over the sustainability of the recovery."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have explained that Geitner and Bernanke have been treating the GDP problem, but have not been doing a damn thing for the economy. They now have what they wanted, a positive GDP, with no economic recovery.

You can call me names all you want, but the reality is still there for people who know what is going on.

Get used to it people, the best has already been.

We humanoids peaked at around the year 2000 and are now on a downhill slide.

GDP = private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports - imports)

AND, I ask, is it a recovery when all the Obama administration has done is manipulate the data that goes into the GDP so as to raise it to plus 3%??????

All that government spending can buy a positive GDP, but the economy still is tanking. The economy itself is not improving even if the GDP says that EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL.

As previously stated, Bernanke and Geitner have worked to solve the GDP problem, but they have not effectively solved the economic problems.

All you have to do is have Cash for Korean cars and more Defense spending and you can have a positive GDP. It is not hard.

Neubarth

By definition, the economy cannot be growing and falling at the same time.

Here is what happened, as defined by the GDP function you posted, i.e. GDP=C+I+G+NX

The upturn in real GDP in the third quarter primarily reflected upturns in PCE, in private inventory investment, in exports, and in residential fixed investment and a smaller decrease in nonresidential fixed investment that were partly offset by an upturn in imports, a downturn in state and local government spending, and a deceleration in federal government spending.

News Release: Gross Domestic Product

In this case, C and I and G were all positive. Consumption, the biggest component of GDP, rose 3.4%. Only NX was negative, but I would argue that is a good thing since both imports and exports were up double digit.

The question is not whether the recession is over and if the economy is going to keep expanding. It is and it will. The question is whether or not it is sustainable and whether we roll over again some time in 2010 or 2011. That is still open to question.

Gross Domestic Product is a crock of shit.. Yay GDP is up because govt spends more money.. Gee, we can have perpetual warfare and welfare and be rich just like Bangladesh.

Gross Domestic Product is a crock of shit.. Yay GDP is up because govt spends more money.. Gee, we can have perpetual warfare and welfare and be rich just like Bangladesh.
You, sir, are back on my GENIUS list. Those who can't see what is going on are less than geniuses, but they still might be pretty smart. They just have to overcome their programming that tells them to only see what the Government tells them.

People can not see that the Gov is in control of all of the factors. The economy is still falling in that sales are slipping, production is slipping and more and more people are being laid off.

The rate of layoffs is so high that is is not a lagging indicator. It is a leading indicator of what is coming in the next few weeks and months. Two to Three million newly unemployed each month is not something to be dismissed as a minor issue.

Consider the LABOR FORCE. In normal times, it goes up by about 1.7 million a year as the population goes up by about 2.6 million a year and many of those are adult working age immigrants or coming of age. Even though 1.67 million are added to the workforce every year for the past two years, the work force has not grown because of Obama administration deception. Instead it has shrunk by well over a million in the past two years. The difference is well over three million people who should be counted as permanently unemployed.

Instead Obama's minions say those poor people are not in the work force. Bullshit and lies.

Neubarth

By definition, the economy cannot be growing and falling at the same time.

Here is what happened, as defined by the GDP function you posted, i.e. GDP=C+I+G+NX

The upturn in real GDP in the third quarter primarily reflected upturns in PCE, in private inventory investment, in exports, and in residential fixed investment and a smaller decrease in nonresidential fixed investment that were partly offset by an upturn in imports, a downturn in state and local government spending, and a deceleration in federal government spending.

News Release: Gross Domestic Product

In this case, C and I and G were all positive. Consumption, the biggest component of GDP, rose 3.4%. Only NX was negative, but I would argue that is a good thing since both imports and exports were up double digit.

The question is not whether the recession is over and if the economy is going to keep expanding. It is and it will. The question is whether or not it is sustainable and whether we roll over again some time in 2010 or 2011. That is still open to question.

TORO, I know the equation quite well.I have been telling people for years now that GDP means only what government wants it to mean. If you take out the government money, the Real equation would be negative. Obama can't have that, so GDP is now positive. Amen, Halleluia, have you got the Obama religion?

Remember Cash for Korean Cars was in the last quarter. Stimulus spending is now being felt. Defense spending has been ramped up. The interest rate is still ZERO for free FED money. Without all of this FED money being liberally applied we would have a negative GDP. Industry is still turning downward.

Today the Obama minions did their typical lying mantra by claiming that UI clams went down by 1000. That, of course was anther lie as UI claims soared by tens of thousands in the last week. Damned lying sons of bitches in power in this country. They need to be removed.

Last edited:
I have received 158 emails from people who blame me for today's market fall because of my Delusional Depression post. What this tells me is that there are a lot of delusional people out there who just can not see the forest because all those damn trees are in the way. Ironically, we even have low IQ moderators on this board who can not read the signs of the times.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back