The Reason

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
There was no imminent threat towards the US. There are no WMD's.

Bully how much was the plane ticket to Baghdad? I mean you've personally searched every single inch of Iraqi desert right? Only a fool believes that Sadaam was not mixed up with Al Qaeda and international terrorism. Doesn't take a genius to come to that conclusion.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Bully, do you really think that Saddam should of been left alone, or is this you're pure hatred for GWB?

Its pure hatred for Bush, thats quite evident in his posts. He doesn't really offer differing positions just stuff like Bush has no nads. Yeah thats it, its all been a dream, we really didn't go into Afghanistan and route Al Qaeda, yeah yeah. We would have been much better off with Gore as pres. on 9/11. :rolleyes:

There was no imminent threat towards the US. There are no WMD's.
just because there werent found yet doenst mean they dont exsist.

This is where I get reall conflicted. Did Sadamm have connections AQ? I believe he did. Did Sadaam have WMD? It's something I wouldn't rule out, but as far as being an imminent threat, I doubt it. Do I think he should have been left to continue living as though Iraqi's weren't suffering and dieing under sanctions? No I don't. Can I offer any solutions other than what has been tried via the UN? No, and I don't think anyone else can either. Do I think oil had something to do with it? Yes, but not oil for the sake of oil, I think the currency in which it was sold in was a bigger motivator. Do I support each and every soldier over there? I sure as hell do, no matter what my opinon of the president is, or proclaimed pretences for war. Love your freedom? Thank a vet.

blahO blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah Fblah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah F blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah T blah blahOblahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah P blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah I blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blahblah blah Cblah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah blah

Originally posted by winston churchi
I take it we should have just continued to allow Saddam torture and brutilize his own people? We should have just turned our noses up and pretend it doesn't exist - as long as I'm okay - who cares about anyone else right?

Adolf Hitler suddenly comes to mind.

Like we allow the military junta in Burma, Kim Jung Il in North Korea, leaders of Sudan who pursue a genocidal civil war against Christians in the south of that country, the House of Saud in Saudi Arabia, to torture and brutalize their populations?

Get real... America has cut deals with brutal and oppressive dictatorships for decades, and still does. Saddam's overthrow wasn't about bringing freedom and democracy to the Iraqi people. Iraq was just an easier nut to crack than any of the other middle-eastern oil kingdoms. And given Saddam's rep in the Middle-East, only the most radical fringes objected to the US invasion of an ostensibly muslim country. The invasion also got US troops out of Saudi Arabia, which took pressure of the government there.

Like we allow the military junta in Burma, Kim Jung Il in North Korea, leaders of Sudan who pursue a genocidal civil war against Christians in the south of that country, the House of Saud in Saudi Arabia, to torture and brutalize their populations?

Can you please link me to the resolutions passed against them by the UN, and how they have failed to abide by them for over 12 years.

Thanks!

<blockquote>Public Record: Bush Ignored Terrorism Before 9/11

In the face of Richard Clarke's well-documented testimony to the 9/11 commission yesterday, the White House is continuing to say that it made counterterrorism its top priority upon coming into office in January 2001. White House spokesman Scott McClellan, echoing similar comments from top Administration officials, said that "this Administration made going after Al Qaida a top priority from very early on" in the face of increased terror warnings before 9/111. But, according to the public record, the Administration made counterterrorism such a "top priority" that it never once convened its task force on counterterrorism before 9/11, attempted to downgrade counterterrorism at the Justice Department, and held only two out of more than one hundred national security meetings on the issue of terrorism. Meanwhile, the White House was cutting key counterterrorism programs -- Bush himself admitted that he "didn't feel the sense of urgency" about terrorism before 9/112.

According to the Washington Post, President Bush and Vice President Cheney never once convened the counterterrorism task force that was established in May 20013 -- despite repeated warnings that Al Qaida could be planning to hijack airplanes and use them as missiles. This negligence came at roughly the same time that the Vice President held at least 10 meetings of his Energy Task Force4 and attended at least six meetings with Enron executives5.

Similarly, Newsweek reported that internal government documents show that, before 9/11, the Bush Administration moved to "de-emphasize" counterterrorism6. When the "FBI officials sought to add hundreds more counterintelligence agents" to deal with the problem, "they got shot down" by the White House.

Additionally, the Associated Press reported in 2002 that "President Bush's national security leadership met formally nearly 100 times in the months prior to the Sept. 11 attacks yet terrorism was the topic during only two of those sessions." This is consistent with evidence Clarke has presented showing that his January 2001 "urgent" memo asking for a meeting of top officials on the imminent Al Qaida threat was rejected for almost eight months7. At the time, the White House said that they simply "did not need to have a formal meeting to discuss the threat"8.

Finally, the White House threatened to veto efforts putting more money into counterterrorism9, tried to cut funding for counterterrorism grants10, delayed arming the unmanned airplanes11 that had spotted bin Laden in Afghanistan, and terminated "a highly classified program to monitor Al Qaida suspects in the United States12.

Sources:

1. Press Briefing Scott McClellan, 03/22/2004.

2. The George W. Bush Presidency: An Early Assessment, 2003.

3. Statement by the President, 05/08/2001.

4. Process Used to Develop the National Energy Policy, US General Accounting Office.

5. "Cheney: We Met With Enron Execs", ABC News, 01/09/2002.

6. Freedom of Information Center, 05/27/2002.

7. "Clarke's Take On Terror", CBS News, 03/21/2004.

8. "White House Rebuttal to Clarke Interview", Washington Post, 03/22/2004.

9. Freedom of Information Center, 05/27/2002.

10. "FBI Budget Squeezed After 9/11", Washington Post, 03/22/2004.

11. "Officials: U.S. missed chance to kill bin Laden", Helena Independent Record, 06/25/2003.

12. "In the Months Before 9/11, Justice Department Curtailed Highly Classified Program to Monitor Al Qaeda Suspects in the U.S.", PR Newswire, 03/21/2004.</blockquote>

Clarke is a liar. He has presented 2 different bits of testimony. One was probably truthful and the other was meant to sell books.

O'neill claims to have 19,000 documents proving what he states in his book. Why haven't just one of those documents ever been released to backup his assertions?

BTW - Don't think I didn't notice you changed the subject! :)

Not all...Just the neocons.

Can't have it both ways. You want to refer to the leaders of our country as nazis, yet our entire congress had the opportunity to vote on war. They voted an emphatic YES. You do realize that there are democrats there too, don't you?

Just more nonsense and childish sarcasim. Other than gays, there is no real understanding of politics, economics, or business issues, so cheap shots and cut and paste articles are what is put forth. Really very sad !

Forum List

Back