The reason Education is so bad, is cellphones

RWS

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2013
Because, instead of reading about stuff, and learning, kids use their cellphones.

To look up quick answers and not really think about stuff. Just give an answer. Like some posters here...

It pains me to think what society is going to be like in a few generations.

• Banned
Like some real important questions, like, "what is life?"

They'll be totally lost....

• Banned
It's up to us as parents to make sure that doesn't happen.

So for my New Years Resolution, I'm going to ask them "what is life". :) I kid, because that's how I roll... Umm. I'm going to ask "what isn't life?".

Because, instead of reading about stuff, and learning, kids use their cellphones.

To look up quick answers and not really think about stuff. Just give an answer. Like some posters here...

Nonsense. Kids did just as bad without cellphones and kids in places where they do well, also have cell phones.

What is the difference between using a digital device to find information and looking it up in a book? What if I asked who was the 25th president, and you didn't know, does it make much of a difference where you look for the answer? One problem with using the Internet is the validity of the source. But then again books were often not right. With the Internet at least there is a vast assortment of different opinions and information. Getting it right might be hard.

When I was in the navy many years ago we didn't have calculators. We had to do all the math long hand. Then we got one of the first Texas Instrument calculators and boy did it make our life better. I don't think we were any more stupid, if possible, because we used a digital device.

Children should not be permitted near electronic information devices before the age of 16.

And you base this comment on...?

• Banned
Opening up a book, and doing the effort to research something, and maybe learning something along the way... is a lot different than googling an answer on your phone at school!

Does anyone want to dispute this?

Yeah, they used to say that about calculators or adding machines....

No, they didn't. That's silly.

I'm talking about research and learning. And how google or wiki will not work there.

I'm going to throw out a word....

Tell me what it means, and why it means what it does, and the consequences on life. Good luck on the google/wiki.

ANUNNAKI

Children should not be permitted near electronic information devices before the age of 16.

Why?

Those are not only searches and that is the search for both anyway..

There's a lot of pro and con here.

To me, the most important thing the education of our children is lacking is parental guidance - from two parents. A mother and father.

The second is how many teachers and not fully capable in the subjects they teach and dependence upon source material that is highly biased.

At the same time, electronics allow many children to learn things they otherwise wouldn't bother to study. Using a search engine is no different than thumbing through pages in lots and lots of books. As someone who conducts research of some form everyday, I can see how lost someone would be without the internet.

I see kids making leaps and bounds in book knowledge.

What's lacking is relationship and engagement skills. The "me" generation is still alive and well.....

By thumbing through the Encyclopedia Britannica (26 volumes), I learned a heckuva lot more than by googling.

I got exposed to more things in trying to find out my answers, than people do nowadays by going directly to the answer.

That's why the present generation is so fucking dumb.

That's why the present generation is so fucking dumb.

You place yourself among that generation, dummy? Learning is about more than just finding isolated facts and figures. It is about developing the ability to reason well, to locate pertinent facts and figures in specific context, about recognizing the relationship between ideas and facts, evaluating sources, making logical conclusions based on evidence, and much more. You're a simpleton.

Cellphones suck because kids text and play games on them during class, not because they can look up information quickly.

Forum List

Back