The real way to really fix Education

Non starter.

Percentage wise, those who graduate college earn much more than those who do not. Fact.

Key word there is "graduate"

Wow...logic would dictate that you have to be able to afford to attend prior to graduation. My plan removes that barrier.

Again, we're not talking about giving people anything they're not going to pay back through withholdings in their life. If they flunk out, decide to quit, etc... the witholding takes root whenever they get a job doing whatever. If they are flipping burgers at Dairy Queen or whereever, they will have a % taken out of their pay to repay the hours that were paid for by the taxpayers.

We're also not talking about just funding the next generation of birdwatchers. I enjoy birdwatching (or at least used to back in South Carolina) and I have nothing against it but it's not a profitable vocation. You get 60 hours to take whatever advanced education you want. If you want to use it to be a nurse's aide, great. A welder? Great. A/C Technician? Great. Photographer? Great. Music? Even better. But it has to be a State accredited school and whatever you use will be paid back through witholdings during your productive life. Whether you are using the degree/certificate/training or not.

There will be those who just vanish from society and never work. That money will be lost. But it will be more than made up for by the ever expanding tax base that will be a result of such a simple, brilliant system.

Here's a suggestion, instead of issuing a blank check to every student sucking oxygen in this country, and no doubt wasting a great deal of money, how about making such "scholarships" contingent on grade- and high-school academic performance? Set a minimum standard to qualify and after that, the higher a high-school graduate's grade point average, the larger the endowment?

Key word there is "graduate"

Wow...logic would dictate that you have to be able to afford to attend prior to graduation. My plan removes that barrier.

Again, we're not talking about giving people anything they're not going to pay back through withholdings in their life. If they flunk out, decide to quit, etc... the witholding takes root whenever they get a job doing whatever. If they are flipping burgers at Dairy Queen or whereever, they will have a % taken out of their pay to repay the hours that were paid for by the taxpayers.

We're also not talking about just funding the next generation of birdwatchers. I enjoy birdwatching (or at least used to back in South Carolina) and I have nothing against it but it's not a profitable vocation. You get 60 hours to take whatever advanced education you want. If you want to use it to be a nurse's aide, great. A welder? Great. A/C Technician? Great. Photographer? Great. Music? Even better. But it has to be a State accredited school and whatever you use will be paid back through witholdings during your productive life. Whether you are using the degree/certificate/training or not.

There will be those who just vanish from society and never work. That money will be lost. But it will be more than made up for by the ever expanding tax base that will be a result of such a simple, brilliant system.

Here's a suggestion, instead of issuing a blank check to every student sucking oxygen in this country, and no doubt wasting a great deal of money, how about making such "scholarships" contingent on grade- and high-school academic performance? Set a minimum standard to qualify and after that, the higher a high-school graduate's grade point average, the larger the endowment?

First, it's not a blank check. It's paid back.

Secondly, we have that now with the GSL programs and massive student debt which is going to be another ticking time bomb when they aren't paid back.

Thirdly, the brilliant idea I'm parroting (it's not my idea but its brilliant--which is probably why it isn't my idea since I'm decidedly not brilliant) is good for all seasons. Some guys/gals have talents that are not in the academic theater; they're good with their hands and can make a great living in the trades. So why not allow them to go to trade school, gain their certification and get on the fast track instead of saving up and going on their own if/when they get the money together?

Tying it to the GPA? No.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back