The Real Problem with America

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
You know we spend an awful lot of time arguing back and forth for our chosen Parties, But we are kidding ourselves America. Neither party is the answer to our problems because they are at the core of the problems.

The System is broken. Broken by a constant cycle of Campaigning and Career politicians. Broken because of a 2 party strangle hold on power.

I do not claim to have all the answers but I think 2 very important things that need to happen before America will be heading the right way are:

1 Campaign Finance.
We need to Limit the influence of Money in elections as much as we can. We could start by setting up a way to publicly fiance all campaigns equally. Compel or pay for Network coverage of debates. We should also shorten the campaign time significantly. 2 Years of it means that basically they are never not campaigning.

2 Term Limits.
We must end the career politician. Mainly because people are compelled to act differently when they have to think about re-election then when not. Maybe slightly longer terms but only 1 Term. For Both the President and Congress. No more running for re-election. We also need a more direct tool for removal of People who are not performing up to par, or not living up to their promises. Some kind of Popular Vote of No confidence where if a certain % of Americans. prolly like 3/4's vote no confidence it means we then hold A special Election to replace that person. Be it the President or A Congress person. Maybe let that person then run against the others to try and keep his or her job if he can get the votes.

Like I said I don't claim to have the answers I just know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Neither the Democrats or Republicans Nor anyone working inside our current system has them either, and to continue down our current path is definite National suicide.

I agree with you. The system is broken. Both Republicans and Democrats are to blame. I don't know of any elected political official that I can believe in. They are all crooks, scallywags, and liars that would say anything, and do anything to stay in power. I believe there should be term limits. No more than two terms for any politician. Also, I do not believe you are entitled to be "set for life" with retirement funds, medical care, and all the other perks that elected people seem to get that none of us "small people" manage to get. Regardless of the political office you are running for, it should be law that you cannot spend more than whatever a year's salary is in that office for your campaign funds. It should be monitored closely and required by law to conform to it. If during the term of your office you are found to be lying to the public, or doing anything "unprofessional" you should be immediately removed from office and that state would be required to hold an election for the replacement. No appointments allowed. I also strongly believe that any law passed by Congress and approved by the President would require all Americans to comply, specifically elected officials. They are no better than the average citizen just because they are elected officials. If any President wanted a "Presidential Library" after he completed his term of office, he can pay for it himself. I don't believe this is something necessary for the American public to foot the bill for.

Agree with you. Term limits, to me, are the logical place to start. Eh, maybe two 4 year term limits for congressman. Then, after that, go after campaign finance.

Last edited:
Agree with you. Term limits, to me, are the logical place to start. Eh, maybe two 4 year term limits for congressman. Then, after that, go after campaign finance.

See I don't like the Idea of 2 terms for anyone. I want to eliminate Any sitting officials Campaigning while in office. I would favor even longer terms with some mechanism to end their term early if they are not performing up to par.

I want civil servants who know they cant run again not career politicians only thinking about the next election. As long as they can have 2 terms the first term will always be about getting re-elected not getting the job done right. I would go as far as to ban sitting officials from campaigning for their replacement even. We need to strive to disconnect our elected leaders from the Political Process once they are elected. As much as possible.

IMO anyways

Last edited:
So your solution is to limit the ability of people to speak in elections and create term limits so corrupt politicians don't have to worry about reelection and can do whatever the hell they want?

That doesn't sound like it's going to make the system better. Quite the opposite.

If you want to make the system better, restore it to it's original makeup. Restore the Senate to the States so they can check the Federal Government. Abolish the Progressive income tax.

Other than those two matters the system isn't broken, nor is it the problem. The people are broken. The people are they problem. The people are corrupt and as long as they are corrupt they will continue to elect corrupt people to represent them. It's the people who corrupt the system, not the system corrupting the people. They politicians just want everyone to think they have no choice but to be corrupt, because it's the system that's the problem and not them. If they can convince enough people of that bullcrap, they can change the system so they will have more power. Having corrupt people gathering more power for themselves does not make them less corrupt. It just screws up the system even more.

No. The solution to our nations problem starts by reforming ourselves. Eliminating corruption, waste, and any dishonest tendency from ourselves. Eliminating idleness and laziness. Refusing to take government assistance. Providing private, or in other words, real charity, even if it's only $1 a day or an hour a day.

If we don't reform ourselves, we won't be prepared for what is coming.

I disagree with both ideas and think they will make things worse.
The reason for bad politicians is a bad electorate. Improve the electorate and you improve the people they elect.
Property ownership or freehold requirements for voting will change most of that.

The reason for bad politicians is a bad electorate. Improve the electorate and you improve the people they elect.
Property ownership or freehold requirements for voting will change most of that.

What are freehold requirements?

You know we spend an awful lot of time arguing back and forth for our chosen Parties, But we are kidding ourselves America. Neither party is the answer to our problems because they are at the core of the problems.

The System is broken. Broken by a constant cycle of Campaigning and Career politicians. Broken because of a 2 party strangle hold on power.

I do not claim to have all the answers but I think 2 very important things that need to happen before America will be heading the right way are:

1 Campaign Finance.
We need to Limit the influence of Money in elections as much as we can. We could start by setting up a way to publicly fiance all campaigns equally. Compel or pay for Network coverage of debates. We should also shorten the campaign time significantly. 2 Years of it means that basically they are never not campaigning.

2 Term Limits.
We must end the career politician. Mainly because people are compelled to act differently when they have to think about re-election then when not. Maybe slightly longer terms but only 1 Term. For Both the President and Congress. No more running for re-election. We also need a more direct tool for removal of People who are not performing up to par, or not living up to their promises. Some kind of Popular Vote of No confidence where if a certain % of Americans. prolly like 3/4's vote no confidence it means we then hold A special Election to replace that person. Be it the President or A Congress person. Maybe let that person then run against the others to try and keep his or her job if he can get the votes.

Like I said I don't claim to have the answers I just know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Neither the Democrats or Republicans Nor anyone working inside our current system has them either, and to continue down our current path is definite National suicide.

Politicians respond to us.

It is our fault that we elect the politicians we have. We are a fickle bunch screaming about the latest non-issue and quick fix rather than allowing politicians to deliver long term solutions.
With 24/7 news, internet and cable political pundits screaming at every perceived transgression, politicians are afraid to seek bipartisanship, afraid to seek compromise. There is no longer a win-win solution in politics because it allows the other side to win also.

We are getting what we deserve

He wants only wealthy landowners to be allolwed to vote.

You know Rabbi.....200 years behind the times

A demonstrated net worth.
And pace Leftwingnut, the system was designed around voters who had a stake in the system. The more we've gone away from that, the worse politicians we have elected.

And pace Leftwingnut, the system was designed around voters who had a stake in the system. The more we've gone away from that, the worse politicians we have elected.

EVERY American has a stake in the system. That is what our Constitution was designed to do.

Our elected officials represent everyone, even a bum living under an overpass. As such, everyone has a right and an obligation to vote

EVERY American has a stake in the system. That is what our Constitution was designed to do.

Our elected officials represent everyone, even a bum living under an overpass. As such, everyone has a right and an obligation to vote

Absolutely everyone needs to vote to protect their self interest. How else would the bums get me to keep paying to repair the overpass so they don't get wet when it rains?

That is of course true, but it's hard to deny that the more people(votes) that rely on, and require, the government teat to survive, the weaker our politicians have become.

Well, no they don't. People who collect welfare have no stake. They have nothing of their own to lose. Everything is provided to them by Big Daddy. Such people have no business voting.
And their reps in Congress still represent them, of course.

1 Campaign Finance.

2 Term Limits.

Good thread. I agree 100% with point number 1; money is the bane of good government.

AS for point #2, term limits, I would support a one term presidency, say six years. But as for Congress, I think it takes time to be a good legislator and a revolving door would simply mean few members would really know the job. Taking money out of the matrix would mean most members would have the time to study the issues and avoid the pressure to please the special interests.
No matter what an elected official says, when they accept money they have accepted a bribe. Of course money is only one problem, many times jobs for wives, husbands or kids, special treatment in terms of travel or entertainment, promises for a bright future all influence elected and appointed officals to one degree or another.

Well, no they don't. People who collect welfare have no stake. They have nothing of their own to lose. Everything is provided to them by Big Daddy. Such people have no business voting.
And their reps in Congress still represent them, of course.

how do you know the majority of them vote?

more than 50% of our country's citizens eligible to vote, DO NOT VOTE and the lower class....is who does not exercise their right to vote, the most.

so spare us... with trying to point fingers and blame them for our presidential outcomes.:cuckoo:

get more people to vote instead of developing some means to disenfranchise our fellow citizens....sheesh

1 Campaign Finance.

2 Term Limits.

Solution 1, I disagree with, Solution 2, I do agree with.

Campaign finance is still a way to limit the FREE SPEECH of individuals and corporations who wish to support their chosen candidates. It's wrong.

Campaign finance is just another way of saying "incumbant protection act."

The better solution is term limits in which I am in total agreement.

Forum List

Back