The Real Jimmy Carter

I think Jimmy was a pretty shitty POTUS. I also think it was a pretty unanimous opinion of those who served with him on both sides of the isle that if he was anything, he was honest.

When one is a politician they must meter their speech to reflect that of their constituency.

"A few days ago, in a conversation with about 30 members of the House of Representatives, I said that I would rather commit suicide than hurt Israel. I think many of them realize the two concepts are not incompatible. If I should ever hurt Israel, which I won't, I think political suicide would automatically result because it is not only our Jewish citizens who have this deep commitment to Israel, but there is an overwhelming support throughout the nation. There is a common bond of commitment to the same principles of openness and freedom and democracy and strength and courage that ties us together in an irrevocable way." – Carter, in a speech to the Democratic National Committee, Oct. 22, 1977.

When one is representing oneself, thier opinions reflect their true feelings.

"I don't think that Israel has any legal or moral justification for their massive bombing of the entire nation of Lebanon. What happened is that Israel is holding almost 10,000 prisoners, so when the militants in Lebanon or in Gaza take one or two soldiers, Israel looks upon this as a justification for an attack on the civilian population of Lebanon and Gaza. I do not think that's justified, no." – Aug. 15, 2006, during an interview with Der Spigel.

Jimmy Carter and Israel: 10 of President's Notable Quotes

the US looked very stupid during the Iranian Hostage crisis
they dragged it on and on for great propaganda and humiliation value
then when he chose a military operation, it was a very complicated one--instead of bombing them to hell

the US looked very stupid during the Iranian Hostage crisis
they dragged it on and on for great propaganda and humiliation value
then when he chose a military operation, it was a very complicated one--instead of bombing them to hell

The best of the Carter administration was peanuts and Billy Beer.

Forum List

Back