The real issues with Public Sector Unions

The Gov. want the union members to pay more toward their pensions and toward the health care, he wants to limit their collective bargaining powers to "wages" only. It's either that or a massive layoff.

The area I feel he is over reaching with is the trying to stop the union from collecting dues, and with the whole having to certify every year. Those moves just look petty.

The limiting of the bargaining power to wages only is basically adresssing my last few points about inane work rules.

Why should the government collect union dues? He is not prohibiting them from collecting dues, he just wants them to stop doing it through the payroll system. As for the re certification, that might be petty, or there might be a legitimate reason for it. I would like a bit more information about it before i decide, but I think you have a point.

On the other hand, it might be nice to make them re certify after the new law passes, just to be sure that more than half of the teachers actually want a union. There hasn't been a vote on the issue for decades, and no teacher has had a choice in all that time.

What is the solution to this? I'm not really sure, but it has to start somewhere. I think banning all unionization in public sector work is a rash move, but something has to be done. Making it easier to get more productivity out of public sector workers would probably be a start.

Hi.

I am an investment professional. I worked in a government agency for years. I added a couple hundred million dollars in value to my agency. That's real hard money, audited and everything. I was paid a government salary. In the private sector, someone who had done what I did would have been paid millions of dollars. Please send me a check for my productivity. Thanks.

Not my fault you weren't smart enough to realize that a government job sucks.

What is the solution to this? I'm not really sure, but it has to start somewhere. I think banning all unionization in public sector work is a rash move, but something has to be done. Making it easier to get more productivity out of public sector workers would probably be a start.

Hi.

I am an investment professional. I worked in a government agency for years. I added a couple hundred million dollars in value to my agency. That's real hard money, audited and everything. I was paid a government salary. In the private sector, someone who had done what I did would have been paid millions of dollars. Please send me a check for my productivity. Thanks.

Not my fault you weren't smart enough to realize that a government job sucks.

So why didn't you work in the private sector then? What government agency did you work for?

Forum List

Back