The Real Issue with the "Ground Zero Mosque"

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Coloradomtnman, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    I've seen lots on the news and on the www about this "nontroversy". I've heard that the reason people don't want the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque" built a few blocks and down the street from Ground Zero is because we don't want the jihadists celebrating a "victory", or that we don't want to provoke jihadists, because of funding ties to an organization that does Muslim outreach (like the guy who co-owns Fox News with Rupert Murdoch), or because the Imam thinks that US foreign policy has made enemies of the US, or because we need to be sensitive to the survivors and the families of the victims of 9/11. How is an Islamic community center offensive to the 9/11 victims' families and survivors? There's only thing that comes to mind: Islam.

This issue is about one thing. Religious intolerance. I've seen the signs that associate Islam and religious intolerance - which is ironic. I've seen interviews with opponents of the Islamic community center, and I've seen their associates in Tennessee. These people, God bless them, believe that Islam is evil, wrong, hateful, something that we, infidels, should fear.

Really, its just about intolerance. And intolerance is really about fear.

If you believe in the COTUS, than you should have no issue with people worshipping, or how they worship, or *where* they worship.

I think we oughta let snake dancers do whatever the hell they want!

I think we oughta let Mormons have more than one wife.

And I think that if one believes in our First Amendment rights, then that person can't have an issue with this Islamic community center.

Because, in the US of A, we shouldn't allow ourselves to limit our freedoms out of a yearning for security - instead we should face our fears and overcome them. And from Islam there is nothing to fear - except religious extremists, just as we understand that there are extremists of EVERY religion, including Christianity, and we understand that any kind of extremism that is harmful to others.

There is conscious intolerance, those people who openly and and are conscisouly aware that they believe Islam is wrong. And there is, seemingly, a subconscious intolerance. Someone who is in denial about their intolerance. This person upholds that the USA is a nation founded on religious tolerance and so there must be another reason why they believe the Islamic commmunity center is wrong (but that reason isn't fear of Islam). Something like needing to be sensitive to the survivors and families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks.

And as honorable, thoughtful, and sensitive as that may be - it is also dishonorable. Because those people died, if unwittingly, as sacrifice for Freedom. And one freedom they died for is freedom of religion. Just like our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. They fight terrorists who are INTOLERANT of us. And die fighting them.

So honor the victims of 9/11 and our soldiers who fight Al Qaida and who fought Suddam by honoring religious tolerance the our First Amendments Rights.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. SW2SILVER

SW2SILVER BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    It's about intolerance, alright. Muslim intolerance. Hit the nail on the head. I resent all these e smug self righteous liberals pretending to care about Islam. Islam represents everything liberals despise. Religious suppositious theists murdering innocent people and denying rights to human beings. They turn women into cattle and cut off their noses, put them in burlap bags, and stone Gays or freethinkers to death. Journalism? Remember Daniel Pearl. They even condemned to death a Danish Cartoonist. Remember Salman Rushdie? Islam cannot stand self introspection or criticism within it’s own ranks, PLEASE. The very name “Islam” means “submission”. I am no Christian, I fear religion in general, but Islam is the METHAMPHEDAMINE of religions. I am tolerant, but not stupid. They are a threat to liberalism and free thought everywhere. That is the "REAL ISSUE".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,651
    So...the solution is to beat them to the punch and be even MORE intolerant.

Gotcha.

4. SW2SILVER

SW2SILVER BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Bodecea: I love you. Don't mix me up with anyone else. Beat them to the punch? Please. Naiveté is beautiful. We don't "beat" them. They don‘t care what “we” think sweet pea. Liberal or Conservative. Get that through your collective heads. Islam will stone you to death. Not your buds here on the USMB. They crash planes into Manhattan, we just question. They kill people that question…
    Which is worse?

5. mattpiggins

mattpiggins Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Islam itself does not crash planes into manhattan, the people that do that are jihadists. islam is, historically, one of, if not the most, peaceful religion ever practiced. within the reign of the umayyad empire (an early muslim empire, that covered much of the middle east and northern africa) people could worship however they pleased. however within christian countries, citizens were forced to worship the christian deity. This tolerance of beliefs contrary to their own, actually brought many people to convert to islam, this is why much of the region the umayyad empire encompassed is still predominantly muslim. so sw2silver, you are wrong. islam will not stone you to death, islam is a tolerant, open-minded, and for the most part unbigoted religion. So that being said, i see no reason not to let them build. We need to stand by our american values, and the values on which this country was founded, freedom and tolerance.

6. Hister

Hister BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It's not a "nontroversy", it's a mosquerade! :D

I say next time they go to kiss a carpet, staple their lips to it, roll it up and FedEx it to Libya.

If the Muslims themselves didn't consider the mosque a victory, I'd have no problem with it. But quite frankly, if it were up to me, I'd stop letting them into our countries.

7. froggy

froggy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Why do foreigners want to live in America and act as if they're still in their old country, if they want to be American they should act American, We're not Afghan-america, we're America.

8. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,921
    snake dancers? are you referring to serpent handlers? or what?

9. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    This type of thinking does no more than "prove" OBL's contention that the West is out to destroy Islam. Thanks for being such a "useful idiot". :cuckoo:

10. Colin

Colin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,660
    [​IMG]

:razz: