The real difference between progressives and liberals

I think the notion that Liberal and Progressive are inherently different things is flawed.

I consider myself a Liberal. I consider myself Progressive. Not really as different trait containers... just terms.

No It's not. The Philosophies are diametrically opposed. One Day you may see that. There is nothing Liberal about Totalitarian Control.

Again, you're using a right-wing media definition of the word "progressive".

Which do you think is a better definition? The Glenn Beck definition, or the actual opinions of people who self-identify as "progressive"?

Liberals care about Each Individual. Progressives care about State Control.

None of the people that I know that self-identify as "progressives" (I work in politics and live in San Francisco, so it's a pretty long list) are "about State Control".

Progressive Statism is Rooted in Statism. Power to your friends, if they still respect Individual Liberty, Voice, and when necessary, dissent. There is no good that comes in sacrificing any individual for a corrupted philosophy. Convenience, Expediency, is never License for Injustice. That's all I'm saying.

I think the notion that Liberal and Progressive are inherently different things is flawed.

I consider myself a Liberal. I consider myself Progressive. Not really as different trait containers... just terms.

No It's not. The Philosophies are diametrically opposed. One Day you may see that. There is nothing Liberal about Totalitarian Control.

Which do you think is a better definition? The Glenn Beck definition, or the actual opinions of people who self-identify as "progressive"?

No I'm not. I do have a Thread on the Subject. Statist Progressivism, long ago abandoned the Principles of Individual Liberty and Justice, for the Advancement of the State. Further, the Principles were not only abandoned, Their Sacrifice is a Prerequisite.

No I'm not. I do have a Thread on the Subject. Statist Progressivism, long ago abandoned the Principles of Individual Liberty and Justice, for the Advancement of the State. Further, the Principles were not only abandoned, Their Sacrifice is a Prerequisite.

I don't doubt that you have a very well-formed definition of "Statist Progressive". But I'm also pretty sure that anyone who identifies as a "progressive" will disagree with that definition.

Who are these people that you consider "Statist Progressives"? I mean, as I said, I live in San Francisco, I've met the people that you would define as "Statist Progressives". I absolutely know that they exist.

But those aren't people who generally self-define as "progressives". Generally, those people will self-identify as "liberal".

All I'm saying is that terms mean different things to different people. There's no consensus as to the definition.

Being progressive is about believing in social, political and economic changes. Reform.

Where do you get all that government totalitarian control crap?

You are never going to better the Golden Rule. What is more liberal than that. Schemes and Scams with other peoples labor and funds, no matter how grand, generally get corrupted and self destruct.

"Where do you get all that government totalitarian control crap?"

Everywhere one looks for it. How do you not see it?

Liberals care about Each Individual. Progressives care about State Control.

None of the people that I know that self-identify as "progressives" (I work in politics and live in San Francisco, so it's a pretty long list) are "about State Control".

Progressive Statism is Rooted in Statism. Power to your friends, if they still respect Individual Liberty, Voice, and when necessary, dissent. There is no good that comes in sacrificing any individual for a corrupted philosophy. Convenience, Expediency, is never License for Injustice. That's all I'm saying.

Now you're tacking on Statism?

We're talking about being Progressive. Not being a "Progressive Statist", whatever the hell that is.

October 11, 2011
RUSH: * I've often said, I said last week he who controls the definition of words, the meaning of words, controls the debate.* He who controls the language controls the debate.

Perhaps the problem is we are trying to define ideas with people. Many of us might be liberal in one area and conservative in another. Using people as examples the concepts become all or nothing. Is it liberal, progressive, conservative or what to explore ideas rather than label them and discard them? A Republican president suggested it was lack of courage not to explore and examine any idea. Do ideas frighten us?

Forum List

Back