The Reagan wit.

The Contras were a terrorist organization founded on the remnants of the National Guard, the brutal state police of the murderous regime of Anastacio Somoza and his heirs (Somoza's SS, if you will). They were universally condemned by human rights groups for their repertoir of terrorist tactics (rape, torture, murders, political assassinations, etc.), to topple a freely elected government (by the standards of basically all international observers, including Americans).

I'll leave you guys to debate whether it was the US itself or a proxy on orders to sell guns to Iran. It's really of no concern. They could've sold candy to get the funds; it doesn't change the fact that they were arming a horrible and brutal bunch of terrorists.

Am I wrong or is this the humor section of this site? :tongue:

I don't pretend that the Contra's were pure as snow. I do contend that what they were fighting was worse. In that context, they were the "good" guys. And they did far less damage than a Communist government would have. (it's a Republic now and much better off) Somoza's National Guard made up a fraction of the Contra's by the way.

Once again the actual sale was not a direct one, the weapons were sold to arms dealers that then sold them to Iran. Might want to actually check your facts. Ohh and check my thread on North and you will find he was not convicted of any diversion of funds or sale of weapons.

It is against the law to sell arms that are likely to fall into hands other than the recipient, Gunny.

Trying to obfucate the crime on some legal technicality (and one that in no way mitigates the crime) is beneath you.

They knew perfectly well who those arms were going to, anyway.

The arms dealer was simply the middleman.

Am I wrong or is this the humor section of this site? :tongue:

I don't pretend that the Contra's were pure as snow. I do contend that what they were fighting was worse. In that context, they were the "good" guys. And they did far less damage than a Communist government would have. (it's a Republic now and much better off) Somoza's National Guard made up a fraction of the Contra's by the way.

Fine, you're right, maybe this discussion should be for another threat in another forum section.

(But you're wrong.)

It is against the law to sell arms that are likely to fall into hands other than the recipient, Gunny.

Trying to obfucate the crime on some legal technicality (and one that in no way mitigates the crime) is beneath you.

They knew perfectly well who those arms were going to, anyway.

The arms dealer was simply the middleman.

Ohh so, say I sell arms to a legal entity, a country at war with an enemy State and it is reasonable to assume that some of those arms will be lost in battle. I guess that was then an Illegal sale? Right?

Clinton can claim having sex with an underling and lying about it to a Judge was no ones business and you nod your head sagely and agree. But this, you find appalling. I wonder why?

Forum List

Back