"The Reader"

The biggest thing hurting the holocaust movies at this point is the fact they are still being made.

Doesn't help when movies like Schinder's List puts most to shame.

At this point though, it feels like Holocaust movies have their own genre with how many that have been made.

The biggest thing hurting the holocaust movies at this point is the fact they are still being made.

At this point though, it feels like Holocaust movies have their own genre with how many that have been made.

Why not ?--every holocaust movie receives some obligatory award.
Gotta remind everyone to feel guilty. Can anyone else see that overplaying the holocaust will backfire ?

Gotta remind everyone to feel guilty. Can anyone else see that overplaying the holocaust will backfire ?

What about movies about WW2, or Viet Nam? You feel the same about them too?

That's the point it actually has come to. That and the History Channel that uses the Holocaust as if it's some kind of food. You'd figure there be more going on in history but nope. :lol:

Would love to see them focus on things like Darfur or hey, how about the Native American Genocide by the U.S. Gov't with the help of some of it's citizens? :eusa_shhh:

Usage of the Holocaust isn't especially exploitative in Hollywood when compared to the manner in which die-hard apologists for Israel routinely invoke it, of course. It's a cheapening of a genocide, to utilize mass murder for political purposes, but it does and will continue unabated.

war movies have potrayed every soldier in the world as a victim at one time or another. There is no common driving agenda.

I think it I once heard Mel Brookes say that he actually floated the idea of doing a black comedy about the NAZI holocaust.

Apparently he had trouble finding backers...cannot imagine why.

He has managed to make the Spanish Inquisition subject of humor though.

Climaxing that topic in "History of the World Part I" with a music number complete with dancing torturers and victims was a nice touch, I thought.

I think it I once heard Mel Brookes say that he actually floated the idea of doing a black comedy about the NAZI holocaust.

Climaxing that topic in "History of the World Part I" with a music number complete with dancing torturers and victims was a nice touch, I thought.

Uh, you have seen "The Producers" haven't you ed?

Classic Mel Brooks, "Springtime For Hitler" is a show stopper!

My daughter and I just watched it last night as a matter of fact!

One of his best ever; this and Puttin on the Ritz in Young Frankenstein.

[youtube]mKxnaMeOK20[/youtube]

Take a look at what Jerry Lewis made:

The Day the Clown Cried - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imagine if THAT was ever released?

Making fun of Hitler can hardly be likened to a black comedy about the holocaust.

Last edited:

Another awesome Brooks film; but that made fun of Hitler; not really the holocaust. A holocaust based movie is something that Brooks hasn't touched and probably won't in his years now.

Another awesome Brooks film; but that made fun of Hitler; not really the holocaust. A holocaust based movie is something that Brooks hasn't touched and probably won't in his years now.

Well, he produced and acted in "To Be or Not to Be"-which dealt with the many ways the Nazi persecuted the Jewish people and Gays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Be_or_Not_to_Be_(1983_film)

depends. if john wayne's in them, hell no!
:eusa_whistle:

like the guy said at the Golden Globes about Kate Winslet " Do a holocaust movie and you will get awards" or something like that!

With all the Holocaust movies that have been made it beggars belief that there are still as many ignorant bastards in the world.

With all the Holocaust movies that have been made it beggars belief that there are still as many ignorant bastards in the world.
I totally agree with you except the part about movies. History books and museums are a more reliable source. :lol:

I love that part, it's hilarious.

Yeah, Brooks is a comedic genius, no doubt.

The Producers was brilliant.

I enjoyed both the older version and the newer one, too.

Forum List

Back