CDZ The Race to Success

The goal was not that. He specified that he was sure SOME of those in the back would outrun some of those in front if all else were equal. Is he right...or wrong?

He also repeatedly empasized that those in front were not at fault in any way for having an advantage. Is he right or wrong?

That's an important thing to note. Resolving racial inequity is not about blaming the beneficiaries of our legacy of advantage. It's about eliminating, as much as is humanly possible, those advantages. There's a huge difference between acknowledging that something wrong exists and should be corrected and blaming someone because they are the beneficiary of that wrong.

Why eliminate the advantages? Why not eliminate the disadvantages? We need to build up on what works, not tear it down.

Newsflash: humans are social animals. An ant will do the best it can to succeed at performing tasks appropriate to it as an individual ant; however, when it joins the rest of its colony, the single ant's success becomes subordinate to the that of the colony as a whole. Sometimes "it's all about the individual" and sometimes "it's all about the colony." It's essential that every individual understand and aptly recognize for what matters and when the colony is the greater priority and for what matters that is not the case. For humans, the "colony," encompasses the citizenry of one's country; however, racial inequities create "sub-colonies" within the "colony," and that is not good for the country.

Hm. So you're a fascist, then?

Here. Let's properly share what fascism means so everyone understands the nature of what you just said...

Xelor said: Newsflash: humans are social animals. An ant will do the best it can to succeed at performing tasks appropriate to it as an individual ant; however, when it joins the rest of its colony, the single ant's success becomes subordinate to the that of the colony as a whole. Sometimes "it's all about the individual" and sometimes "it's all about the colony." It's essential that every individual understand and aptly recognize for what matters and when the colony is the greater priority and for what matters that is not the case. For humans, the "colony," encompasses the citizenry of one's country; however, racial inequities create "sub-colonies" within the "colony," and that is not good for the country.

Mussolini in his Doctrine of Fascism (1932) said: In the Fascist State the individual is not suppressed, but rather multiplied, just as in a regiment a soldier is not weakened but multiplied by the number of his comrades. The Fascist State organizes the nation, but it leaves sufficient scope to individuals; it has limited useless or harmful liberties and has preserved those that are essential. It cannot be the individual who decides in this matter, but only the State.

Does everyone see this? This is what you're up against.

Composition fallacy and division fallacy.
  • Composition

• Division

The goal was not that. He specified that he was sure SOME of those in the back would outrun some of those in front if all else were equal. Is he right...or wrong?

He also repeatedly empasized that those in front were not at fault in any way for having an advantage. Is he right or wrong?

That's an important thing to note. Resolving racial inequity is not about blaming the beneficiaries of our legacy of advantage. It's about eliminating, as much as is humanly possible, those advantages. There's a huge difference between acknowledging that something wrong exists and should be corrected and blaming someone because they are the beneficiary of that wrong.

Why eliminate the advantages? Why not eliminate the disadvantages? We need to build up on what works, not tear it down.

Exactly.

Don't deny they exist.

Work to eliminate them!

The 1st thought that came to me after watching this video was how does one define what success is? We all run the race from different starting points but is financial success (money) your only goal like it is in the race? Hope not. Some people start from a different place but also carrying different burdens, physical or mental handicaps for instance. How does each of us decide what winning or losing is for ourselves? This race only had one winner of the $100 bill, but life isn't like that. When your race is over, how do you think victory for you should be determined? Where you finished, or how you ran your race? Did you run alone or did you help somebody else get to the finish line, costing yourself something in the process? I'm not sure most of us think hard enough about how we want to run our race and what are goals actually are.

Newsflash: humans are social animals. An ant will do the best it can to succeed at performing tasks appropriate to it as an individual ant; however, when it joins the rest of its colony, the single ant's success becomes subordinate to the that of the colony as a whole. Sometimes "it's all about the individual" and sometimes "it's all about the colony." It's essential that every individual understand and aptly recognize for what matters and when the colony is the greater priority and for what matters that is not the case. For humans, the "colony," encompasses the citizenry of one's country; however, racial inequities create "sub-colonies" within the "colony," and that is not good for the country.

Here. Let's properly share what fascism means so everyone understands the nature of what you just said...

Xelor said: Newsflash: humans are social animals. An ant will do the best it can to succeed at performing tasks appropriate to it as an individual ant; however, when it joins the rest of its colony, the single ant's success becomes subordinate to the that of the colony as a whole. Sometimes "it's all about the individual" and sometimes "it's all about the colony." It's essential that every individual understand and aptly recognize for what matters and when the colony is the greater priority and for what matters that is not the case. For humans, the "colony," encompasses the citizenry of one's country; however, racial inequities create "sub-colonies" within the "colony," and that is not good for the country.

Mussolini in his Doctrine of Fascism (1932) said: In the Fascist State the individual is not suppressed, but rather multiplied, just as in a regiment a soldier is not weakened but multiplied by the number of his comrades. The Fascist State organizes the nation, but it leaves sufficient scope to individuals; it has limited useless or harmful liberties and has preserved those that are essential. It cannot be the individual who decides in this matter, but only the State.

• Composition

• Division

I'm not watching your videos.

You're echoing Mussolini's Doctrine of Fascism almost to the word.

You're busted.

And now everybody knows.

I'm gonna go watch some cartoons.

Later.

How To Stamp Out Cultural Marxism In A Single Generation
There is no such thing as true equality. Some Individuals are more naturally gifted than other Individuals.

There is only institutionalized equality.

That's true...but there is a difference between inate abilities and advantages and disadvantages that have nothing to do with your abilities.

I don't disagree. Dividing and conquering is not the solution, though. It only stimulates the problem. I do accept that there are very real divisions. I'm just not a fan of creating artificial division. Which is precisely what that video did.

Actually I think the video did the exact opposite...think about what you watched and what he was saying.

What are the things that added to the probability of a successful outcome?

A two parent family.
A father in the home.
Access to private education.
Access to a free tutor.
Not having to contribute to supporting your family.
Not having to worry about paying for college.

These are not race specific things - they just happen to disproportionately affect certain ethnic/racial groups. And some of those groups are white. Did you ever read Hillbilly Elegy? Excellant book. But those same things can be applied as well to Appalachia.

Ma'am, with all due respect, when you view humans strictly as members of groups rather than Individuals, you're acting equally as collectively as those who view minorities and the less fortunate as members of groups rather than Individuals. It's hypocritical. It's like pouring gasoline on a fire.

You're speaking from the heart. I understand. I do so myself sometimes.

Let me ask you this. What, in your view, is the root problem? Secondly, what, in your view, is the solution to what you understand to be the root problem? These are not trick questions. They're genuine questions since you're the thread starter. Thanks!

Actually...you are a bit wrong here.

I view everyone first and formost as individuals. That's why I don't buy into the "all Muslims are evil" bandwagon or "blacks are thugs" bandwagon or "whities are racist" bandwagon.

But viewing them as individuals doesn't negate inequalities that disproportionately affect certain groups...right?

I don't view all minorities as one group. In fact that is a mistake. Just like it's a mistake to view all whites as one group. That is one reason I brought up Appalachia as an example (and as an fyi I live in WV).

The root problems are complex - and it's frustrating to me that people try to simplify it into one problem - race (as one example).

This video hit two points right on the head: the root problems and how those problems disproportionately affect certain groups. I think that is relevant.

What are the problems?
Broken families.
Children having to contribute to the family finances.
Not having access to quality education and help with that education (tutoring).

Those were some of the points and they don't just apply to race but certain races are disproportionately afffected. :)

Someone shared this with me...and it's an eye opener.

We all run the same race...but we don't all start out in the same place. And it's not because of anything we did.

I posted this in CDZ to avoid the BS that goes on in Race. I would be curious as to what people think of this and in particular what the narrator is saying.

Eye opener? You've already posted in other threads, endorsing government incentivized failure. You posted it because you agree, not because it opened your eyes to anything.

Equality is a myth, and those who decide to pretend that 'advantages' that other people may have, or 'disadvantages' that they may have somehow keep them down in life, only trick themselves into never succeeding. Nothing the government does will ever make life 'equal' for everyone. That video is utterly pointless.

People are capable of succeeding in life regardless of challenges imposed on them, DESPITE government interference.

Did you actually watch the video?

Yes, I did. He specified things that would supposedly advantage a person and had people step forward based on it. He then said he was sure those in the back would outrun everyone else if they were 'equal'.

The goal apparently being to make other people feel bad for things that would be an 'advantage' and feel bad that other people didn't have those same 'advantages'.

Typical leftist stuff.

Well we will have to agree to disagree then because that is not what I got out of it.

There is no such thing as true equality. Some Individuals are more naturally gifted than other Individuals.

That's true...but there is a difference between inate abilities and advantages and disadvantages that have nothing to do with your abilities.

I don't disagree. Dividing and conquering is not the solution, though. It only stimulates the problem. I do accept that there are very real divisions. I'm just not a fan of creating artificial division. Which is precisely what that video did.

Actually I think the video did the exact opposite...think about what you watched and what he was saying.

A two parent family.
A father in the home.
Access to a free tutor.

These are not race specific things - they just happen to disproportionately affect certain ethnic/racial groups. And some of those groups are white. Did you ever read Hillbilly Elegy? Excellant book. But those same things can be applied as well to Appalachia.

Ma'am, with all due respect, when you view humans strictly as members of groups rather than Individuals, you're acting equally as collectively as those who view minorities and the less fortunate as members of groups rather than Individuals. It's hypocritical. It's like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Let me ask you this. What, in your view, is the root problem? Secondly, what, in your view, is the solution to what you understand to be the root problem? These are not trick questions. They're genuine questions since you're the thread starter. Thanks!

I view everyone first and formost as individuals. That's why I don't buy into the "all Muslims are evil" bandwagon or "blacks are thugs" bandwagon or "whities are racist" bandwagon.

But viewing them as individuals doesn't negate inequalities that disproportionately affect certain groups...right?

I don't view all minorities as one group. In fact that is a mistake. Just like it's a mistake to view all whites as one group. That is one reason I brought up Appalachia as an example (and as an fyi I live in WV).

The root problems are complex - and it's frustrating to me that people try to simplify it into one problem - race (as one example).

This video hit two points right on the head: the root problems and how those problems disproportionately affect certain groups. I think that is relevant.

What are the problems?
Broken families.

Those were some of the points and they don't just apply to race but certain races are disproportionately afffected. :)

The broken families issue is huge, IMO. I have no plausible idea how to address it.

We all run the same race...but we don't all start out in the same place. And it's not because of anything we did.

I posted this in CDZ to avoid the BS that goes on in Race. I would be curious as to what people think of this and in particular what the narrator is saying.

Eye opener? You've already posted in other threads, endorsing government incentivized failure. You posted it because you agree, not because it opened your eyes to anything.

Equality is a myth, and those who decide to pretend that 'advantages' that other people may have, or 'disadvantages' that they may have somehow keep them down in life, only trick themselves into never succeeding. Nothing the government does will ever make life 'equal' for everyone. That video is utterly pointless.

People are capable of succeeding in life regardless of challenges imposed on them, DESPITE government interference.

Did you actually watch the video?

Yes, I did. He specified things that would supposedly advantage a person and had people step forward based on it. He then said he was sure those in the back would outrun everyone else if they were 'equal'.

The goal apparently being to make other people feel bad for things that would be an 'advantage' and feel bad that other people didn't have those same 'advantages'.

Typical leftist stuff.

No, the goal WAS that. Are you telling me that we weren't already aware that people taking some steps forward would have an advantage in a race? This wasn't a groundbreaking experiment, it was a move to attempt to force people to think with their feelings instead of their heads. He wanted people to feel bad for being born with 'advantages' and feel bad for the people who aren't. Your loaded questions can't distract from the intentions behind the video, and it being posted here.

It wasn't intended to be a "ground breaking experiment" but rather a really good way of showing it. And thinking with their feelings as opposed with their heads? No...it actually hit them on the heads so to speak.

Instead of automatically casting judgement on those who don't "win" that hundred dollar prize - think about your advantages and how they affect your life. And how disadvantages affect others. It's a very thought provoking lesson unless you happen to feel personally threatened by it.

People have no problem assigning character flaws to those who don't "win"...but they have a problem recognizing advantages to some of those who do "win"? Why is this?

The 1st thought that came to me after watching this video was how does one define what success is? We all run the race from different starting points but is financial success (money) your only goal like it is in the race? Hope not. Some people start from a different place but also carrying different burdens, physical or mental handicaps for instance. How does each of us decide what winning or losing is for ourselves? This race only had one winner of the $100 bill, but life isn't like that. When your race is over, how do you think victory for you should be determined? Where you finished, or how you ran your race? Did you run alone or did you help somebody else get to the finish line, costing yourself something in the process? I'm not sure most of us think hard enough about how we want to run our race and what are goals actually are.

Thank you for putting serious thought in this...:smiliehug:

Everyone can win, IMO. The goal is to be satisfied with your life, to be happy. This is America. If we can make it through childhood relatively sane and competent, we have the opportunity to achieve relative happiness. There are many places on this globe where that isn't true.

.....People have no problem assigning character flaws to those who don't "win"...but they have a problem recognizing advantages to some of those who do "win"? Why is this?

upload_2017-11-5_21-57-9.jpeg

What was that about how 'legacy' admissions and 'legacy' job placements were not permanent to this discussion?

****CHUCKLE*****

:)

.....People have no problem assigning character flaws to those who don't "win"...but they have a problem recognizing advantages to some of those who do "win"? Why is this?

View attachment 158883

What was that about how 'legacy' admissions and 'legacy' job placements were not permanent to this discussion?

****CHUCKLE*****

Well....it's possible legacy admissions could be included...but....

that's just the Tom Petty effect you're having on me :lol:

A two parent family.
A father in the home.
Access to a free tutor.

What are the problems?
Broken families.

Yes. The root problem is complex. But it is not difficult to see and address. It's when we become distracted by symptoms that it becomes difficult to see and seek solutions to the root issue. The issues discussed here are symtoms. Therefore, they are distractions in scope when they dominate discussion.

Anyway. I'm sorry if I seemed personal in my response to you. I have a tendency to use the word you too much. I'm working on it.

Watch out for Xelor, though. That ol boy was echoing Mussolini's Doctrine of Fascism almost to the word. And he was serious.

It's odd how so many have taken what is a simple exercise in the video and made so much more out of it than there is.

View attachment 158883

****CHUCKLE*****

Well....it's possible legacy admissions could be included...but....

that's just the Tom Petty effect you're having on me :lol:

upload_2017-11-5_22-13-19.jpeg

I'm glad to observe that you might see that some of us recognize that others do have advantages that some of us do not have.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Last edited:

That has nothing to do with the point of the video. That's what some are missing. No one doubts we all have our trials and tribulations.

It's the entire point of the man's experiment, and the entire point of Coyote posting it here. Identity politics is ALWAYS the reason behind this sort of thing.

That definitely not why she posted it.

Perhaps we should begin promoting family values and the nuclear family again. Every child should be afforded the advantage of both parents in the household whenever possible. Two role models, two incomes, two supervisors, etc. It's too easy and too socially acceptable to have children out of wedlock or divorce rather than work it out. We are a selfish society and do not put children first.

Parents generally choose whether their children will have that advantage or not. Parents sacrifice to give their children that leg up ... or not. While not ALWAYS true, generally, those kids starting ahead should be made aware they have their parents to thank rather than the luck of the draw, as implied. Those starting in the back should be made aware as well, so they don't blindly repeat their parents mistakes.

I'm not sure we should go back to the shaming of single mothers - many do a very good job...or to making it difficult to obtain divorces. It's a mixed bag...

My mother finally seperated from my father - he was an alcoholic and seldom there and when he was it was disruptive. We had a two parent family until highschool...but at what cost?

As I said, its not always true. A 2-parent household is no good if one (or both) is violent or a molester or a druggie, etc. However, generally, it is an advantage to have both parents in the household raising the children. It is a disadvantage to be raised in a single-parent household. That was a significant point in the video.
That was a significant point in the video.

It was a point of the video, and I suppose one can call it material;however, it was not the central point of the video. When considering whether to eat an apple, one's focus and the seller's focus is the pulp not the seeds, which contain cyanide and are thus poisonous. It's important to deal appropriately with the seeds, i.e., don't eat them, but the problem of the seeds isn't what's on one's mind when thinking through the matter of whether to eat the apple.

So it is with the thread's rubric video. There are a number of risk factors for why one may not realize success; however, but the central point is that our society must acknowledge that collectively extant inequity of the sort that is not intrinsic to individuals inhibits the success of whole classes of people before it can make material progress on attenuating the various risk factors.

And if one is honest, one will recognize that multiple types of cultural inequities; however, those based on race are the only ones whereof one who is the object of them can cannot alter the circumstances that make them so. Whereas one can bring one's talents to bear to alter the state of one's, say, financial position, one can bring nothing to bear to alter one's racial status. Thus, while some blacks are financially well-off, they are nonetheless subject to the constructs that impose inequities on blacks, and that is something black wealthy people's white financial peers simply do not face.

For instance, neither I nor any of my white friends have been by cops asked "where are you going/why are you here," "is this your car," yet each of my black friends has been asked that, and other than their blackness there is no difference between us in terms of where they go, what kind of car they drive, the genre of neighborhood in which dwell and frequent. Hell, when I walk through my neighborhood, which is in the city center, I'm never approached by a cop, yet blacks get approached "all the time" in my neighborhood. (I know this because some of the blacks to whom that has happened had it happen when they were walking from their car to my home.) Similarly, while one may be white and mendicant, one nonetheless benefits from, if nothing else, the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sheltered. I don't live in a city or an area with racial strife. We don't have an active city center. We have Friday night high school football. I was raised here, in an upper middle class small town with a 40/60 black/white mix. There's no one out running the streets here so no one getting hassled by cops like that. Also, I am a private academic tutor so deal with children whose parents are helping them with homework, seeking a tutor as needed, attending parent/teacher conferences, monitoring their child's internet activities, involving their child in community or church groups, etc. We still have income inequality, but most children here are raised well so become competent, productive adults.

An hour away is New Orleans. From my perspective, the difference isn't race at all. More than a third of my students are black. Their parents aren't getting stopped for DWB. Their children aren't being gunned down.
I'm sheltered. I don't live in a city or an area with racial strife. We don't have an active city center. We have Friday night high school football. I was raised here, in an upper middle class small town with a 40/60 black/white mix. There's no one out running the streets here so no one getting hassled by cops like that. Also, I am a private academic tutor so deal with children whose parents are helping them with homework, seeking a tutor as needed, attending parent/teacher conferences, monitoring their child's internet activities, involving their child in community or church groups, etc. We still have income inequality, but most children here are raised well so become competent, productive adults.

There's nothing wrong with being sheltered, provided one doesn't allow the fact of one's limited exposure to cloud/prejudice one's thinking about people and situations that such that one discounts (however much) the validity of credible testimony and research that indicate one's situation and personal observations are more rarefied than they are common. For instance, though my black friends' financial position is uncommon, without regard to race, their experiences with being denied the benefit of the doubt, to cite one type of inequity, is not uncommon among black folks.

Do I have any fair reason to suspect you are among the folks who allow their minds to become thus addled? No. The tone of your comments above (because they are the one's I am currently aware of) doesn't allude to your indeed thinking that way, and you certainly didn't explicitly indicate you do. Does that mean you are not at times, or often, not given to irrational lines of thought about matters of the human condition in general and that of various racial communities? No. How could it? I know almost nothing about you, and, more importantly, I don't at all know you. I can say only that I see no evidence of it based on what you've here written and that I recall. I realize that's hardly a glowing commendation, but, given the nature of our "non-relationship," it's the best I can do and be confident I'm not mistaken.

Their parents aren't getting stopped for DWB.

You don't need to answer the question that follows; I ask it only as something to think about.
  • Is your relationship with the black parents such that they'd bother to mention to you an incident in which they felt they were, since we're using it as an example of the inequity that arises from race-related denials of the benefit of the doubt, stopped for DWB?
I posed the question because I know that my black friends would not, have not, and will not share with me every single incident in which that or some similar manifestation of racial inequity happens to them. They know the inequity is "there," and they most certainly want to see it dramatically reduced attenuated; however, they just aren't going to mention every manifestation of it. There are two reasons why that's so, one reason being their former reason and the others being their current reasons.
  • Old reason: Before they knew me as well as they do now, they didn't know whether I'd be amenable to having such a discussion, and they knew many white folks aren't. Insofar as they didn't know me well enough to know my tolerance for such a topic, they kept mum about it.
  • New reasons: First and foremost, we've already discussed the matter of their experience racial inequity and the conversations in which we did so went well. My black friends thus have come to know that I "get it;" indeed, one of my black friends tells me he thinks I "get it more than some blacks do" because I have little to no tolerance for racial bias of any sort from any source.

For instance, he and I "got into it" once when I chided him for harboring a prejudicial POV about a specific white individual whom I didn't know, and short of the person's name, race, and a few other superficial details, he didn't either. I made it very clear to him that although I understand and accept that because they are minorities, blacks cannot be racists, that they cannot does not prevent them from being racially prejudiced, and that's not acceptable either.

The other reason is that quite simply, there's nothing new to say. I know they experience that crap. They know I have no forbearance for it and that, when and where possible, I speak up against it and manifestations of it. We both know that while we are equally successful, I had a far less challenging way to be so than did they. Unless the matter is something for which they need my help in resolving, there's nothing to gain by telling me about every last incident. Hell, they also don't tell every black person they know about every last incident of inequity they faced.
Their children aren't being gunned down.

Oh, my. Well, okay...I thought we were having a more "evolved" discussion than that; however, I was mistaken....Anyway, insofar as you "went there," out of courtesy, I'll respond to it...Does the nature of inequity need rise to that level, ever, to be something we are obliged to mitigate or, where and when possible, eliminate? I don't think so.

Last edited:

• Composition

• Division

You're echoing Mussolini's Doctrine of Fascism almost to the word.

You're busted.

And now everybody knows.

I'm gonna go watch some cartoons.

Later.

I can't make you watch the videos. I can say only that people who do, and who didn't instantly recognize the nature of your irrational remarks and implications, will see that my analysis and conclusion about the nature of your retort's irrationality is accurate. That you won't watch them so you can see it too and not subsequently repeat your mistake -- be it in conversation with me or with others -- is a burden you must bear.

I can't make you watch the videos.

Your words speak for themselves. Your solution echos Mussolini's in his Doctrine of Fascism almost to the word. It's right here in black and white...

Welcome to the world of functional debate.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back