CDZ The Race to Success

Someone shared this with me...and it's an eye opener.

We all run the same race...but we don't all start out in the same place. And it's not because of anything we did.

I posted this in CDZ to avoid the BS that goes on in Race. I would be curious as to what people think of this and in particular what the narrator is saying.

Yes, I saw that. You can imagine the rich kids going home that night and laughing about it, talking about how they live great lives. How America is their sort of place.

Actually...no, I can't. I think it's an eye opener for all kids, because it's easy to take for granted your advantages - who ever needs to think about them? The end showed how thought provoking it was.

Yes, but not everyone takes something that is thought provoking and uses them in a good way.

We all run the same race...but we don't all start out in the same place. And it's not because of anything we did.

I posted this in CDZ to avoid the BS that goes on in Race. I would be curious as to what people think of this and in particular what the narrator is saying.

Eye opener? You've already posted in other threads, endorsing government incentivized failure. You posted it because you agree, not because it opened your eyes to anything.

Equality is a myth, and those who decide to pretend that 'advantages' that other people may have, or 'disadvantages' that they may have somehow keep them down in life, only trick themselves into never succeeding. Nothing the government does will ever make life 'equal' for everyone. That video is utterly pointless.

People are capable of succeeding in life regardless of challenges imposed on them, DESPITE government interference.

That has nothing to do with the point of the video. That's what some are missing. No one doubts we all have our trials and tribulations.

It's the entire point of the man's experiment, and the entire point of Coyote posting it here. Identity politics is ALWAYS the reason behind this sort of thing.

That definitely not why she posted it.

I appreciate you not being cynical, but being such a sweet person is why you're wrong here.

What you don't realize is Kat showed me the video first, and we both felt very strongly about it. That is why I posted it.

It's not identify politics. In fact if you listen to the list of advantages - none are racial. None. Think about it.

What people don't realize is it isn't about race. It is about what helps to contribute to success and those factors apply to any group. Some groups are disproportionately affected.

Having a two parent family.
Not having to support your family.
and other things.

And for those who are really hung up about race - read Hillbilly Elegy. That is about white people facing the same issues.

Eye opener? You've already posted in other threads, endorsing government incentivized failure. You posted it because you agree, not because it opened your eyes to anything.

Equality is a myth, and those who decide to pretend that 'advantages' that other people may have, or 'disadvantages' that they may have somehow keep them down in life, only trick themselves into never succeeding. Nothing the government does will ever make life 'equal' for everyone. That video is utterly pointless.

People are capable of succeeding in life regardless of challenges imposed on them, DESPITE government interference.

That has nothing to do with the point of the video. That's what some are missing. No one doubts we all have our trials and tribulations.
It's the entire point of the man's experiment, and the entire point of Coyote posting it here. Identity politics is ALWAYS the reason behind this sort of thing.

That definitely not why she posted it.
I appreciate you not being cynical, but being such a sweet person is why you're wrong here.

What you don't realize is Kat showed me the video first, and we both felt very strongly about it. That is why I posted it.

It's not identify politics. In fact if you listen to the list of advantages - none are racial. None. Think about it.
Actually, I DO know that, but she's not cynical enough to believe that there was any nefarious intent behind its conception.

The whole thing is about identity politics, Dogmaphobe hit the nail on the head:
I don't consider such indoctrination to be a simple exercise, myself. It was called "eye opening" when the real objective is quite the opposite.

The exercise is not about opening minds, but forming them. It is a product of the authoritarian left's obsession with identity politics, replete with the de rigueur divisions accordingly.

When I was cutting my political teeth, liberals wished to establish a color blind society. For today's illiberal left, a color blind society is anathema to their rigid and divisive agenda.

I've seen this before in youth camp. The results are the same even when there aren't racial differences....some will be in the front, and some will be in the back.

No matter how equally the line starts out - when it comes to a race to the top - there is no fair race. Whether the criteria is IQ, or physical strength - no starting point involving competition starts with equal promise to all. In horse racing and bowling the slower, less skilled participants are given an advantage - the better horses carry a heavier weight, the poorer bowlers are given a point advantage.

The real point of this particular exercise is to teach humility, to appreciate what others (parents in this case) have done for you (lest any should boast it was of themselves) and to be generous in what you do for others. It also shows that the race is worth running despite not starting out in front.

I've seen this before in youth camp. The results are the same even when there aren't racial differences....some will be in the front, and some will be in the back.

No matter how equally the line starts out - when it comes to a race to the top - there is no fair race. Whether the criteria is IQ, or physical strength - no starting point involving competition starts with equal promise to all. In horse racing and bowling the slower, less skilled participants are given an advantage - the better horses carry a heavier weight, the poorer bowlers are given a point advantage.

The real point of this particular exercise is to teach humility, to appreciate what others (parents in this case) have done for you (lest any should boast it was of themselves) and to be generous in what you do for others. It also shows that the race is worth running despite not starting out in front.

In horse racing and bowling the slower, less skilled participants are given an advantage - the better horses carry a heavier weight, the poorer bowlers are given a point advantage.

What? Have I been missing something all these years? I'm certainly not aware of better horses at, say, the Derby and other equestrian events being burdened with heavier weight. Are bowlers on the PBA circuit handicapped? I'm no big fan of bowling, but I wouldn't have thought so.

One might say that those are professional-level events. Well, guess what, upon reaching adulthood, life and living it is a "professional-level" undertaking. Does that mean we should not give folks who can but for some reason aren't ready to "play" on a "professional" level a "leg up?" No. Does that mean we should not level the playing field as best we can to enable as many people as possible to come play on a "professional" level? No. It merely means we need to remove from our cultural psyche, systems, organizations and structures the "heavier weights" that have been emplaced upon individuals and by being so, prevent them from performing on a "professional" level.

After all, one need not ever win a bowling tournament to yet be a successful bowler. For few folks is the goal of being the most successful competitor achievable, but not being "the most" does not at all mean one "is not."
The real point of this particular exercise is to teach humility

I think that is a point of the exercise, not the point of it.

What? Have I been missing something all these years? .

Apparently.

How astute.

Yes, it is a point, which is why the entire sentence +1 reads - The real point of this particular exercise is to teach humility, to appreciate what others (parents in this case) have done for you (lest any should boast it was of themselves) and to be generous in what you do for others. It also shows that the race is worth running despite not starting out in front.

What? Have I been missing something all these years? .

Apparently.

How astute.

Yes, it is a point, which is why the entire sentence +1 reads - The real point of this particular exercise is to teach humility, to appreciate what others (parents in this case) have done for you (lest any should boast it was of themselves) and to be generous in what you do for others. It also shows that the race is worth running despite not starting out in front.
Have I been missing something all these years? I'm certainly not aware of better horses at, say, the Derby and other equestrian events being burdened with heavier weight. Are bowlers on the PBA circuit handicapped? I'm no big fan of bowling, but I wouldn't have thought so.
Apparently

Very well. Please show precisely in what ways bowlers on the PBA circuit are given point advantages and in precisely what ways "better" steeds run at the Derby, Belmont and Preakness are because they are "better" made to carry heavier loads. Indeed, as go racehorses, it appears that weight maximums are what be imposed, not weight handicaps.
In horse racing and bowling the slower, less skilled participants are given an advantage - the better horses carry a heavier weight, the poorer bowlers are given a point advantage.

New Topics

Forum List

Back