CDZ The Race to Success

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Coyote, Nov 5, 2017.

1. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,075
    Yes, but not everyone takes something that is thought provoking and uses them in a good way.

2. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,343
    What you don't realize is Kat showed me the video first, and we both felt very strongly about it. That is why I posted it.

It's not identify politics. In fact if you listen to the list of advantages - none are racial. None. Think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,343
    What people don't realize is it isn't about race. It is about what helps to contribute to success and those factors apply to any group. Some groups are disproportionately affected.

Having a two parent family.
    Not having to support your family.
    and other things.

And for those who are really hung up about race - read Hillbilly Elegy. That is about white people facing the same issues.

4. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,641
    Fact is, just being born in the USA is winning the birth lottery.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Pumpkin Row

Pumpkin Row Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,908
    Actually, I DO know that, but she's not cynical enough to believe that there was any nefarious intent behind its conception.

The whole thing is about identity politics, Dogmaphobe hit the nail on the head:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,977

Here is somebody who people should really listen to if they actually want their minds opened.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Muhammed

Muhammed Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,797
    The message is that some kids have better parents than others.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +756
    I've seen this before in youth camp. The results are the same even when there aren't racial differences....some will be in the front, and some will be in the back.

No matter how equally the line starts out - when it comes to a race to the top - there is no fair race. Whether the criteria is IQ, or physical strength - no starting point involving competition starts with equal promise to all. In horse racing and bowling the slower, less skilled participants are given an advantage - the better horses carry a heavier weight, the poorer bowlers are given a point advantage.

The real point of this particular exercise is to teach humility, to appreciate what others (parents in this case) have done for you (lest any should boast it was of themselves) and to be generous in what you do for others. It also shows that the race is worth running despite not starting out in front.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,990
    What? Have I been missing something all these years? I'm certainly not aware of better horses at, say, the Derby and other equestrian events being burdened with heavier weight. Are bowlers on the PBA circuit handicapped? I'm no big fan of bowling, but I wouldn't have thought so.

One might say that those are professional-level events. Well, guess what, upon reaching adulthood, life and living it is a "professional-level" undertaking. Does that mean we should not give folks who can but for some reason aren't ready to "play" on a "professional" level a "leg up?" No. Does that mean we should not level the playing field as best we can to enable as many people as possible to come play on a "professional" level? No. It merely means we need to remove from our cultural psyche, systems, organizations and structures the "heavier weights" that have been emplaced upon individuals and by being so, prevent them from performing on a "professional" level.

After all, one need not ever win a bowling tournament to yet be a successful bowler. For few folks is the goal of being the most successful competitor achievable, but not being "the most" does not at all mean one "is not."
    I think that is a point of the exercise, not the point of it.

10. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +756
    Apparently.

How astute.

Yes, it is a point, which is why the entire sentence +1 reads - The real point of this particular exercise is to teach humility, to appreciate what others (parents in this case) have done for you (lest any should boast it was of themselves) and to be generous in what you do for others. It also shows that the race is worth running despite not starting out in front.