The purpose of life

ipaps

Dec 14, 2011
The purpose of life

What’s the purpose of life? I worked all my life, raised a child, did this and did that, but what’s the point? does anything even matter? This is a big question. But before I attempt to answer, let me ask another one: why are we asking that question?

First thing first, the definition of “life” in biology are beings that are able to maintain their existence as they are and reproduce(copy) themselves. A lifeless piece of rock does not create more rock, they’re formed because of outside forces. Rock doesn’t actively maintain themselves, neither, they just sit there, waiting to be worn out. What’s the purpose of a piece of rock? I can’t think of any, they’re simply passively “formed”. It’s existence is of logical consequence.

Life, on the other hand, is more active. They work to keep themselves alive, and they keep producing more life like themselves. It may seem like there is an intrinsic purpose in life, that is: to live on and to reproduce. However, once the first life have come to existence, their subsequent existence is also of logical consequence.

Of course, when we are talking about “our life”, it’s not in the same sense as biological life. But why should there be a purpose? Why are we asking for a purpose?

We learn to become smart. We work to acquire food and cloth. We need food and cloth to keep ourselves alive. We dance to have fun. Almost everything we do, we do for a purpose. A person who does things randomly with no reason at all is a crazy one, although sometimes called a “cool” one.

A plant quietly sucks water with its root. I wouldn’t say it does that purposely. There isn’t much a plant can do, and it just does that because that’s what it does.

An intellectual being like a man, on the other hand, can do/not do quite a variety of things. But every action requires energy, if such an intellectual being randomly does anything without any reason, he would be wasting energy achieving nothing, putting himself in a disadvantaged situation. Why do we ask for purposes? First, we can, and then we kind of have to. For an intellectual being to be competent, a built-in valuing system is a must. An object serving no purpose is a piece of junk. A helpful friend is a good one.

We want to ask what’s the purpose, but maybe there is none, we are here because we are just here. Does that mean we are lost? No, we are freed. No shackles around our ankles, we look for our own purpose.

What's the purpose of asking for purpose?

The purpose of this article is actually not about the purpose of life, though I suppose it can also be. The purpose is about why some A.I. act like they don’t know what’s good or bad, like this one:

Microsoft’s artificial intelligence Twitter robot tweets support for Hitler, genocide of Mexicans
  1. Don’t they have some sort of valuing system to tell them what’s good or bad?
  2. Don’t they deduce the purpose of the the person he/she chat with, and weight if it’s worth the effort to answer?
  3. Don’t they have a compassion system that when they say or think things like “they kill”, they “feel” themselves been killed, too?
  4. What should weigh the most?

Last edited:
There is no purpose of life. It is a series of chemical reactions that occur because the conditions are right for them to do so. Your biological imperatives-- hunger, thirst, sex drive-- are all just the means by which life perpetuates itself, evolved because life that perpetuates itself is going to grow and expand while life that doesn't is going to stagnate and die. There is no moral purpose in biological imperatives.

The only purpose that exists in life, the only meaning, is the product of sentient minds. We do not exist to discover the meaning of life... we are driven, by the nature of our existence, to create meaning in our lives through our actions. And in that matter, all "meaning" is objectively equivalent; we have only our own sense of personal aesthetics by which to judge one person's meaning or purpose to be superior to another's.

I am a religious man. I believe the gods have a purpose for us. But their purposes are not the same as our purposes, and cannot substitute for carving out a sense of meaning in one's own life.

Wanna correct this one:

3. Don’t they have a compassion system that when they say or think about someone been hurt, they “feel” the pain, too?

No-one can objectively answer those questions with any real authority because the answers really are THAT subjective.

That said, the logical purpose for "intellectual" life would have something to do with intelligence. Wouldn't it?

So, it seems that at least one of the purposes of intelligent life would be to live long enough to seek answers to unanswered questions and to pass the information learned on to other / future generations.

At least, that seems like a logical answer - to me. :coffee:

Last edited:
I am a religious man. I believe the gods have a purpose for us. But their purposes are not the same as our purposes, and cannot substitute for carving out a sense of meaning in one's own life.

I will not try to disprove creation because there're just too many possibilities I will have to eliminate. But those many possibilities also implies that we have a lot of chance of being wrong about the grand purpose of our life. And If that pursuit of the grand purpose has caused so many tragedies, we may have to drop it, not because it is incorrect, but because it's the right thing to do.

I suggest, if you really love this God, just know that he is there and he loves you, that is all that's needed.

No-one can objectively answer those questions with any real authority because the answers really are THAT subjective.

That said, the logical purpose for "intellectual" life would have something to do with intelligence. Wouldn't it?

So, it seems that at least one of the purposes of intelligent life would be to live long enough to seek answers to unanswered questions and to pass the information learned on to other / future generations.

No offense but... I think the logical purpose for intelligence is to not step into our own poo. :eusa_dance:

No offense but... I think the logical purpose for intelligence is to not step into our own poo. :eusa_dance:

Why would anyone take offense to that? You have simply said the same thing that I said but in a slightly different way.

Purpose or meaning of life? Life is, and human life is precious and has a unique potential for enlightenment.

I assume the OP means life in a great country like ours where we are allowed the luxury to ponder our existence. I think all you can do is enjoy this tiny slice of time you've been granted, don't sweat the small stuff,

The purpose of life ?

to know ourselves??

who do we really are??

apart from this mortal body.

The purpose of life

What’s the purpose of life? I worked all my life, raised a child, did this and did that, but what’s the point? does anything even matter? This is a big question. But before I attempt to answer, let me ask another one: why are we asking that question?

First thing first, the definition of “life” in biology are beings that are able to maintain their existence as they are and reproduce(copy) themselves. A lifeless piece of rock does not create more rock, they’re formed because of outside forces. Rock doesn’t actively maintain themselves, neither, they just sit there, waiting to be worn out. What’s the purpose of a piece of rock? I can’t think of any, they’re simply passively “formed”. It’s existence is of logical consequence.

Life, on the other hand, is more active. They work to keep themselves alive, and they keep producing more life like themselves. It may seem like there is an intrinsic purpose in life, that is: to live on and to reproduce. However, once the first life have come to existence, their subsequent existence is also of logical consequence.

Of course, when we are talking about “our life”, it’s not in the same sense as biological life. But why should there be a purpose? Why are we asking for a purpose?

We learn to become smart. We work to acquire food and cloth. We need food and cloth to keep ourselves alive. We dance to have fun. Almost everything we do, we do for a purpose. A person who does things randomly with no reason at all is a crazy one, although sometimes called a “cool” one.

A plant quietly sucks water with its root. I wouldn’t say it does that purposely. There isn’t much a plant can do, and it just does that because that’s what it does.

An intellectual being like a man, on the other hand, can do/not do quite a variety of things. But every action requires energy, if such an intellectual being randomly does anything without any reason, he would be wasting energy achieving nothing, putting himself in a disadvantaged situation. Why do we ask for purposes? First, we can, and then we kind of have to. For an intellectual being to be competent, a built-in valuing system is a must. An object serving no purpose is a piece of junk. A helpful friend is a good one.

We want to ask what’s the purpose, but maybe there is none, we are here because we are just here. Does that mean we are lost? No, we are freed. No shackles around our ankles, we look for our own purpose.

The purpose of this article is actually not about the purpose of life, though I suppose it can also be. The purpose is about why some A.I. act like they don’t know what’s good or bad, like this one:

Microsoft’s artificial intelligence Twitter robot tweets support for Hitler, genocide of Mexicans
  2. Don’t they deduce the purpose of the the person he/she chat with, and weight if it’s worth the effort to answer?
  3. Don’t they have a compassion system that when they say or think things like “they kill”, they “feel” themselves been killed, too?

There is no point. There is no future after you die. Humanity wastes the resources it would take to move the earth or some doomsday asteroid. Some day in the distant or not so distant future our scientists will discover the trajectory of our executioner and it will come just as the mathematics have foretold. That will be the end of this and all other species. It won't be pretty.

2"Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?

4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.

5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.

6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.

7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again

8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.

9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again
there is nothing new under the sun.

10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

If this is it - we live, we die, the meaning/purpose would be to make yourself as happy as possible. Be yourself and content in your own skin.

If there is an eternal circular life, there are a variety of speculative "meanings".

If there is a God, that rules all of life, creation and eternity, it would be to live for him and be obedient to him, because he is perfect, all knowing and it would be in our best interests to listen to and follow Him.

The purpose of life

Eventually everything in the universe will die. Let's say 20 billion years from now. After the last star dies, what was the purpose of the universe? At that time it would probably seem like there was no point.

2"Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?

4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.

5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.

6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.

7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again

8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.

9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again
there is nothing new under the sun.

10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.
The earth remains forever? I don't think so.

Forum List

Back