CDZ The purpose of a business?

Onyx

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2015
What do you believe the purpose of a business should be? And don't say to make money.

I believe the purpose of a business is to create a livelihood for its workers and provide for the community. Not to make a small group of founders and shareholders rich.

I dont see how there can be one purpose. It seems your looking to find one single defining purpose but that varys as much as the many people who have started small businesses, some of which may later became larger ones or corporations

I dont see how there can be one purpose. It seems your looking to find one single defining purpose but that varys as much as the many people who have started small businesses, some of which may later became larger ones or corporations

Everything can be narrowed to a singular purpose. I cannot think of any worthy purpose besides the one I stated. What about you?

What do you believe the purpose of a business should be? And don't say to make money.

I believe the purpose of a business is to create a livelihood for its workers and provide for the community. Not to make a small group of founders and shareholders rich.
And to produce.

Everything can be narrowed to a singular purpose. I cannot think of any worthy purpose besides the one I stated. What about you?

Well they can have more that one reason. It doesnt have to be just that. What you stated is not enough motivation for some people to start one. It may be following a passion or to make money as well

Well they can have more that one reason. It doesnt have to be just that. What you stated is not enough motivation for some people to start one. It may be following a passion or to make money as well

Sure, but you can narrow multiple reasons down into one purpose. The purpose I stated actually contained two reasons.

Following a passion is a hobby, not a business. A business can also be a hobby, but the two are distinguished terms. Making money just for the sake of money doesn't make sense. There should be a greater reason for making money.

It's to make money. Labor is an expenditure.

That answer demonstrates a lack of critical thinking.

Making money for the sake of making money? If that was honestly the purpose of a business, then no one would start one.

The primary purpose of a business is to operate at a profit while satisfying a need that exists in the marketplace be it products or services.

A business that does not run at a profit while satisfying a need of the market will fail

Any business that exists merely to pay employees will fail

Business owners can have a wide range of reasons to start a business, but the business it's self has only one purpose. To make money by supplying a need. That is all a business is capable of.

Business serves a variety of social purposes, as varied as the owners themselves, but mostly they ideally strive to create efficiency and wider markets and availability of goods, and create more efficient distribution systems and the contributions of railroads in the 19th century to accounting and logistics systems is truly awesome and has benefited both private and public organizational efficiency tremendously, even as the CEO and others were corrupt and venal. There is nothing particularly 'evil' about business and private wealth, it is how it is used by weak, amoral humans, not the profit seeking itself that is the main problem, and a society that doesn't put brakes on excess and corruption is going to collapse regardless of what system is used; systems are tools, they don't decide anything or make the choices, it's people who do all that.

And don't say to make money

And why can't it be to make money?

A company has investors. Investors have invested in order to have a return on their investment. Not a return of hugs, or good feelings, or sunny days, but a return of money.

If you don't believe that, trying paying your bills with hugs.

The purpose of the business is whatever the man or woman who started the business wants it to be....it is their time, money and energy that went into creating the business, and no one else's business. If they want to use it to make money...great for them.....if they want to use it to save the earth....great for them......

You really should try to understand the notion of private property....it makes everyone rich.......your belief system...makes everyone but a small political elite poor.....

And why can't it be to make money?

Because no one operates a business in order to make money for the sake of making money. If someone does this strictly for that reason, then inform me.

The purpose of the business is whatever the man or woman who started the business wants it to be....it is their time, money and energy that went into creating the business, and no one else's business.

In the OP, I explicitly used the words should be. I do believe it should be other's peoples business, since human beings interact and our actions have consequences that affect other people.

A business that does not run at a profit while satisfying a need of the market will fail

Any business that exists merely to pay employees will fail

Of course a business should make a profit, but it should do so in order to make its workers as wealthy as possible. We work to provide our livelihood, therefore a business should exist to provide a livelihood for all of its participants.

Right now many businesses exist in order to make a small group of individuals rich, so your argument sort of falls flat.

Forum List

Back