The Psycho

Ecstasy can sometimes be found in religious practices.

Like swinging a chicken over your head.
.... :cool:

kapparot.jpg
It's even better if you scream like a chicken while you do it.

The Psychology of Ecstasy
Einstein called ecstasy 'the finest emotion of which we are capable'. Happiness is considered so important as to feature as an unalienable human right in the US Declaration of Independence. It is, however, a fuzzy concept that means different things to different people. On one level, it can be associated with a range of positive or pleasant emotions such as acceptance, contentment, gratitude, excitement, amusement, and joy. On another level, it can be thought of in terms of human flourishing or the good life. I have discussed happiness at some length in The Art of Failure, and do not propose to revisit the topic here. Instead, I will concentrate on euphoria and, in particular, on ecstasy.

The pinnacle of euphoria is ecstasy, which literally means ‘to be or stand outside oneself’. Ecstasy is a trance-like state in which consciousness of an object is so heightened that the subject dissolves or merges into the object. Einstein called it the ‘mystic emotion’, and spoke of it as ‘the finest emotion of which we are capable’, ‘the germ of all art and all true science’, and ‘the core of the true religious sentiment’.

One of my friends described the experience thus:

It felt like the fulfillment of my life, but, more than that, the fulfillment of all life, of life itself. It put everything into perspective and gave it all unity, purpose, and nobility... It’s completely changed me. Still today, everything I do—and, more importantly, don’t do—is grounded in that vision, grounded in that reality... It’s as if a channel of light and life has opened up in my mind. I feel more alert and alive, and often experience aftershocks of the original experience. These aftershocks can be set off by the smallest things: the song of a bird, the sun playing into a room, the fleeting expression on the face of a friend, or anything that suddenly reminds me that, yes, I am alive!

Hide and Seek

mmm .. about your friend, what was he/?/she up to exactly and were you involved in the ecstacy encounter personally.? :popcorn:

You have a one track mind, Lumpy. No thrills and spills on this thread.

:bigbed:

It sounded like a religious experience or an epiphany on life in some way.. I just wondered if it was a shared experience...

I don't know if they are.

Don't be such a control freak.

You throw out a topic for discussion.

And then get all worked up if it takes a different direction from what you envisioned.

She's (It's if you prefer) not a Control Freak. It's (or She's) a wannabe Control Freak.
Still trying after all these years.
Still failing.
Trolling DUNCE.

Poor old man. You managed with your zimmer frame into here?

:sleep:

It's not the Badlands. Too bad you lost your way.

Happiness and consciousness can be achieved without an NDE or OBE but they do help open one's eyes to what is important. American/christians assume they have a soul and therefore a place waiting for them in heaven. They believe they are exempt from putting in the effort to accumulate knowledge.

I'm putting together an explanation of the soul and The Psychology of Ecstasy will help me do that, so thank you.

I'm not sure I understand euphoria being the 'germ of all art and true science'. Does that mean artists and scientists do what they do for the reward of euphoria? The pursuit of euphoria is what motivates many extreme athletes, extremely religious people and Opiate abusers. To me euphoria is a temporary, physical, extremely heightened state that cannot be sustained. I believe one can be truly happy with oneself without ever experiencing euphoria. Those few euphoric moments we have in a lifetime are to be cherished, but it may not be the best thing to try and keep recapturing the feeling.

I'm not sure I understand euphoria being the 'germ of all art and true science'. Does that mean artists and scientists do what they do for the reward of euphoria? The pursuit of euphoria is what motivates many extreme athletes, extremely religious people and Opiate abusers. To me euphoria is a temporary, physical, extremely heightened state that cannot be sustained. I believe one can be truly happy with oneself without ever experiencing euphoria. Those few euphoric moments we have in a lifetime are to be cherished, but it may not be the best thing to try and keep recapturing the feeling.
Are you expecting deliverance? If so, your happiness is in for a rude awakening.

Are you expecting deliverance? If so, your happiness is in for a rude awakening.
Deliverance from what? I don't understand your quote at all.

Are you waiting for Jesus to take you up to heaven?

No. Do you have a basic reading comprehension problem?

You don't sound very happy to me.

I am.

I am.
Have you had an OBE? If so, how did you achieve it, and can you repeat it?

The Psychology of Ecstasy
Einstein called ecstasy 'the finest emotion of which we are capable'. Happiness is considered so important as to feature as an unalienable human right in the US Declaration of Independence. It is, however, a fuzzy concept that means different things to different people. On one level, it can be associated with a range of positive or pleasant emotions such as acceptance, contentment, gratitude, excitement, amusement, and joy. On another level, it can be thought of in terms of human flourishing or the good life. I have discussed happiness at some length in The Art of Failure, and do not propose to revisit the topic here. Instead, I will concentrate on euphoria and, in particular, on ecstasy.

The pinnacle of euphoria is ecstasy, which literally means ‘to be or stand outside oneself’. Ecstasy is a trance-like state in which consciousness of an object is so heightened that the subject dissolves or merges into the object. Einstein called it the ‘mystic emotion’, and spoke of it as ‘the finest emotion of which we are capable’, ‘the germ of all art and all true science’, and ‘the core of the true religious sentiment’.

One of my friends described the experience thus:

It felt like the fulfillment of my life, but, more than that, the fulfillment of all life, of life itself. It put everything into perspective and gave it all unity, purpose, and nobility... It’s completely changed me. Still today, everything I do—and, more importantly, don’t do—is grounded in that vision, grounded in that reality... It’s as if a channel of light and life has opened up in my mind. I feel more alert and alive, and often experience aftershocks of the original experience. These aftershocks can be set off by the smallest things: the song of a bird, the sun playing into a room, the fleeting expression on the face of a friend, or anything that suddenly reminds me that, yes, I am alive!

Hide and Seek
What about real love or elation? Is faith a feeling? Who do you trust in? Do you trust yourself?

New Topics

Forum List

Back