The Proper Role of Government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avatar4321, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    The Proper Role of Government by Ezra Taft Benson

I was reading this earlier. Has to be one of the most straightforward and logical argument I've read on the proper role of government. An exert I enjoyed:

There is much more. I just thought that those points boil down the argument to the proper role of government. Can we the people delegate to the government a power we don't lawfully have?

I also found in it a quote from Thomas Jefferson which I like:

Last, I found the Formula for prosperity refreshing:

I think history bears this out as true. The more our government intervenes to redistribute the material wards of labor the more the elites have abundance while those who labor do without.

2. Utilitarian

Utilitarian co-Cain Manager

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It's all conditional.

We grew rather rapidly during a time when the top tax bracket was around 90%. Redistribution of wealth didn't seem to matter then.

3. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Good stuff. But what about if person A wants to take from person B criminally? And person B is a small, weak female and cant defend herself? Someone must make justice. Vigilante justice? Why, when we can have a group who in theory removes emotion from it, and brings person A to justice.

Now, once done, what punishment? Without consequence, behavior wont change. We could torture a person, punish with pain. But thats dark ages stuff. The most humane way to punish is take money (fine). But some dont have money, or the crime is socially so harsh, only loss of priveledge to mingle among society is adequate, so they are jailed.

Person A doesn't have power over Person B. But, if person A brutalizes person B, something must exist as consequence.