The Proper Relationship of Church and State in America

How do opinions encroach? I thought they were just words.

It isn't "encroachment" to proclaim loudly from the rooftops that I believe Christ is the risen son of God, and that every aspect of my life reflects that.

Nor do you have a "right" to be protected from the opinions of others.

Ever heard of Blue Laws?

See what I mean?

Bode brings up Christian Persecution, then pretends someone else brought it up when they respond to her bait.

:cuckoo:

But Soggy was fishing with "atheism is the only acceptable......":eusa_hand:

No, that's not fishing. That's his opinion and a response to another statement.

Fishing (in this case) is when you stick something completely unrelated to the topic out there, hoping to get bites and thereby move the conversation away from a problematic fact.

It was a sarcastic statement but I don't see what Soggy was responding to as there was no previous quotes.

Still I think it was a troll line looking for an emotioned response.

Bill or Rights...
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

The Treaty of Tripoli (1797)...
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Jefferson (1802)...
"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

To my understanding, Congress has not made a law respecting establishment of religion. Would you agree?

Are there any being proposed now?

I think you missed this part:

"nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess"

Politicians were not excluded. As you can tell from this: "the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

I am curious as to who you think, politician or otherwise, is not free to profess in this country.

does "free" mean without viscious attack in the "free" press........? :doubt:

No, because the press has a First Amendment right to be wrong and stupid as loudly and publicly as they wish.

Don't really care what they thought on this issue, The religious landscape of the 18th century bears little resemblance to today. The wall of separation should be a wall, not a ramp where the government is powerless to fight back against a growing theocracy movement.
Wrong!

Well, at least he's honest enough to admit he doesn't really give a shit what the laws are or what they mean, if they don't conform to the way HE wants things to be. Would that all leftists were so up-front about their attitudes and motivations.

Are you going to actually participate in the discussion, or are you just here to crap?

Forum List

Back