The Promise

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by alexa, Jun 16, 2011.

1. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Earlier this year Channel 4 broadcast a drama 'The Promise'. It was about a young girl who found her grandfather's diary of when he worked as a British soldier in Palestine before the establishment of the Jewish state. She goes there trying to find out what was going on and the drama interspersed between those days and more recent. It seems to be based on fact and is well worth watching. very moving.

Living in the UK I cannot get it on youtube so here is the page to where it can be viewed on Channel 4 - there is about 5 hours viewing so not all in one sitting!!

The Promise - 4oD - Channel 4

However you guys may not be able to get it there and like I said I cannot get it on youtube but it is there and here is the link to a page where it appears to be

YouTube - ‪The promise‬‏

Here you can listen to the director talking about the making of the drama - about 5 mins, may whet your appetite!

YouTube - ‪Director of hit drama 'The Promise' owns pro-Israeli critics‬‏

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. docmauser1

docmauser1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Some individuals never grow past punk/rebellion phase, indeed.

3. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    In reality it was finding this video which reminded me of the promise which was certainly one of the more impressive and moving drama's I have watched.

However, in this instance docmuster I think you have some point to criticise, though not necessarily in what you actually said.. I did not notice the jibe about pro Israelis in the youtube video title till after I posted it. I found it somewhere else as a review of the drama and clicked to get it from Youtube. The important thing about that clip to me was the expression that the film had no agenda but to present reality and was based on accounts of British soldiers who were there at the time. I nearly came back and removed it when I noticed the title jibe after I posted it but at the same time it presented an introduction to the drama.

Further this drama came out in Feb this year and it was then that I watched it. However with time, my memory was not so clear as if I had watched it yesterday.

I watched the beginning again late last night. That made me wonder whether I should have put a warning on the video as indeed Channel 4 does before you watch it. The first episode has some very graphic pictures of the situation the British found at Bergen-Belsen. It is very sobering and immediately sets the picture that this concerns human tragedy on the deepest levels.

The video is an account not yet heard

Peter Kosminsky’s “The Promise”, from Sunday 6th Feb at 9.00pm on Channel 4 | Jews for Justice for Palestinians

Review by Anthony Lerman

A Sensitive Television Drama on the Israel-Palestine Conflict « Antony Lerman

I hope some people will be able to watch what is a very moving drama showing things from a perspective not yet seen. I would hope that whatever your position, this drama would cause some pause for thought.

4. docmauser1

docmauser1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    It was some cool diarrhetic drivel, indeed.