civil rights: progressivism
workers' rights: progressivism
OSHA:progressivism
equality:progressivism
separation of church and state:progressivism
anti-child labor laws: progressivism

all opposed by 'conservatives'
conservatism: resistance to change; preservation of the status quo

SS laws, health care laws, overtime laws, discrimination laws, sexual harassment laws, anti-pollution laws.

Imagine an America without all those progressive laws. Not very appealing IMO.

Progressive gave us some very important regulations. Without Teddy, we wouldn't have any restrictions on consumer products or monopolies. I can't see why people are arguing for more deregulation when we've been getting deregulation since Reagan and are now in an economic crap hole. I blame deregulation for the failing of banks, if subprime mortages were more tightly restricted alot of this mess wouldn't have happened. I don't like how invovled the government is in the economy right now, but I believe it should certaintly regulate commerce.

Well it's not true that you wouldn't have any regulation on "monopolies" without Roosevelt, because the Sherman Antitrust Act was signed under Benjamin Harrison to combat those evil capitalists.

Oh, and by the way, we have an extremely regulated market. The Federal Reserve can create money out of thin air and change the interest rates on a whim.

Currency is not a "market". It is a means to facilitate exchange.

However, tampering with the currency and interest rates has a profound effect on the market.

Well it's not true that you wouldn't have any regulation on "monopolies" without Roosevelt, because the Sherman Antitrust Act was signed under Benjamin Harrison to combat those evil capitalists.

Oh, and by the way, we have an extremely regulated market. The Federal Reserve can create money out of thin air and change the interest rates on a whim.

Currency is not a "market". It is a means to facilitate exchange.

However, tampering with the currency and interest rates has a profound effect on the market.

This can be true, for interest rate sensitive markets.

, how has our economy gotten worse?

The Fed satepped in to guide the markets in order to meet the war needs in WW2.

It used to be that a man w/ a HS education could earn enough to buy a house and support his family

Now, both parents work just to get by, most people never pay off their house or credit cards (passing their debt to the next generation when they die) the dollar is worth about as much as toilet paper was in the 50s Guilded Era...

Real Wealth and buying power keep decreasing

, how has our economy gotten worse?

The Fed satepped in to guide the markets in order to meet the war needs in WW2.

It used to be that a man w/ a HS education could earn enough to buy a house and support his family

Now, both parents work just to get by, most people never pay off their house or credit cards (passing their debt to the next generation when they die) the dollar is worth about as much as toilet paper was in the 50s Guilded Era...

Real Wealth and buying power keep decreasing

More people own homes and own bigger homes too.

In 1940 the home ownership rate was 44%. It increased steadily thru 2000, when it was 66%.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/census/historic/owner.html

A lot more families can afford homes now than in 1940. I'd say that's progress, even if women are more a part of the workforce.

Real incomes have increased a lot too. The dollar is worth less, but people make a lot more.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back