The Professor calls out Unkotare on speed-reading and logic classes.

PS: I thought you had left and that is why I said I was taking a break too, but this time I am outta here. See you.

Why go through this whole song and dance if you're just going to give up and run away? You could have been just as wrong on the original thread without going to the trouble.

Sorry, but last night's all-nighter took its toll. I know you miss me, but I am going to relax and rest tonight and be back sometime around noon.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlT6owR5Ytg]Run, Forrest, run! (Forrest Gump) - YouTube[/ame]

I will get into the subject of speed reading in a new moments but first, as promised, I will talk about misspelling. Some time ago I wrote the following

“Actually, many people misspell not because they are uneducated but rather because they are superior readers. I read at over 3,000 words per minute (about 10 times the normal rate) and scan at about 10,000. Reading at such speed does not give one time to dissect each word for proper spelling. If the spelling is reasonably close, the context immediately tells me what the word should be. Frankly, I misspell many words which I do not catch upon proofreading; however, I put the letters MBA and JD after my name and I received these degrees with honors. If it were not for spellchecker, you might think me rather ignorant and you would be sorely mistaken.”

What I wrote has been established by a considerable amount of research. According to the following article, spelling is not important to speed readers. The article shows a paragraph full of misspellings that I had no difficulty in reading and neither will you. The article also states:

The image below illustrates how a reader without proper training will stop (fixate) on every word. After proper training, effective and efficient speed readers are able to read text in "groups of words" allowing them to read faster and fixate less while reading. Click on "Groups of Words" to see the dramatic reduction in eye fixation if one reads more than one word at a time!

Speed Reading Myths - The Literacy Company

This does not mean that spelling is not important to speed-reading. If a word is so unfamiliar that you have to stop to think about it or look it up, look it up you have lost valuable time.

Blog | 7 Speed Reading Software | Page 13

However, when reading in blocks or groups, the context determines the correct spelling without slowing the reader down. If you write, “John got sick because he ate to much candy” I will read it as “John got sick because he ate too much candy.

Just for you, I offer the following poem:

Ode to Misspelling

I don't care if it's hear or here.
Or even fair or fare;
Or or, or o're, or ore or oar;
Or there or their or they're!

So let your hands type everything
That your mind doth tell them,
And I will understand each word
No matter how you spell them.

So if you say “they took there stuff
And their not coming back again,”
I know you mean they took their stuff
And they're gone for good, amen.

There's so much strife in this short life
Sometimes it's overwhelming.
So I don't really care about
Such trite things as misspelling.

To those who wish to criticize
I can't, I shan't eschew it.
I know you cannot help yourself
So, just do it, dew it, due it.

The Professor

We both agree that logic should be taught in school, but we disagree that speed-reading should also be taught.. It is my very strong opinion that you do not know much about speed-reading, so I am going to spend a good part of the rest of my day explaining the process to you. I will begin by submitting a post I wrote some time ago:

Actually a reading speed of 3,000 words per minute is not unusual for a trained speed reader. Some years ago, a young girl was tested on The Tonight Show and demonstrated her ability to read at around 20,000 words per minute. Further, there is a process called mental photography which trains people to read at 100,000 (no typo) words per minute with over 90% retention.

I am a very good reader, but not a great one. You may think that 3,000 wpm is fantastic, but it isn't. I think it's a shame that most people read at only 300 words per minute or even less. What a waste. I cannot understand why public schools don't teach speed reading. It should be a required course for all students. Can you imagine how much smarter our kids would be if they could just double their reading speed.

I have a strong suspicion that my critics – those who doubt that my claim of reading speed of 3,00 words per minute is credible – would actually take the time to do research, so I will do it for them.

“Evelyn Wood, the daughter of Elias and Rose (Stirland) Nielsen, was born in Logan Utah in 1909. She was a teacher, and in her studies, Wood's discovered readers capable of reading 1,500 to 6,000 words a minute, often sharing the traits of reading down the page rather than left to right, reading groups of words or complete thoughts rather than single words, avoiding involuntary rereading of material and applying their efficiency to varied material. After discovering that faster readers were also more effective readers,she began developing her programs, ultimately developing a methodology of using a finger or pointer to trace lines of text while eliminating sub-vocalizing (reading under one's breath or aloud in one's head).” See the following link:

Evelyn Wood (teacher) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2007 the six times World Champion Speed Reader is Anne Jones read “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” at Borders, Charing Cross Road, London in a record breaking 47 minutes and one second – 4251 words per minute. She then reviewed the book for the Independent and also for Sky TV. See the following links:

World Speed Reading

Woman breaks Deathly Hallows speed reading world record - SnitchSeeker.com

“Permanent speed readers (and graduates of TurboRead) can read comfortably at speeds of between 800wpm and 1200wpm, without any constant practice and drilling. Tutored speed readers, who constantly practice the skill over long periods of time, can reliably achieve speeds of around 5000 wpm. Natural speed readers (of which there are very few in the world) can exceed these speeds.” See the following link:

TurboRead Speed Reading FAQs

“That's why so many people just like you are using the Ferrari-style of reading called PhotoReading. It blasts printed materials to the brain at phenomenal rates, a page a second. You actually "mentally photograph" the page at 25,000 words a minute.” See the following link:

PhotoReading Whole Mind System Reading Program

Richard Welch explains how his method – Mental Photography – enables people to read at 100,000 (no typo) words per minute with over 90% retention. Here's the link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVy0jk4fBY8]YouTube[/ame]

PS: I am not suggesting that the more advanced systems be taught in public school because of what I know to be a low the success rate (and high cost). However, the simple methods that have been used for decades even by those not formally trained in speed reading should be taught in schools.

More in a little while. I do have a life that involves things other than me instructing you in the basics of speed reading.

Cheers.

One of the popular myths about speed reading is that the faster you read, the less you comprehend. This is not true, With speed-reading training, the faster you read, the MORE you comprehend. Here are just a few links which will help explain all of this:

“This is also a very popular misconception. Do you associate speed reading with rapidly turning over pages? Well you would be right to, but this is not done thoughtlessly. Rather, everything is done with a full understanding of the content. This is because one of the characteristics of speed reading is reading blocks of words instead of single words. In this way you not only increase the speed, but also understand more, because you focus on the full context of the content

“Very often you can meet with the advice that if you want to read faster, you should skim through some parts of the material. Indeed, it can accelerate the speed, but it would not affect your comprehension well. When using a visual pacer technique, you read all of the text, but in a way which lets you combine words into groups so that you read faster with better comprehension.”

What speed reading is NOT - Kwik Learning - Speed Reading, Memory & Brain Performance Training

Here is another article which dispels the myth of reduced comprehension as one's reading speed increases:

“Myth: When you speed read, you simply skip over every second or third word, and therefore miss material.
Reality: Speed readers do not skip over words, even the small ones, since they are important to the flow and comprehension of the material.”

“Myth: Speed reading is nothing more than skimming, scanning, and key-wording.
Reality: People do not use the above techniques to learn how to speed read. They use them as tools that allow them, once they are speed readers, to meet a specific purpose in reading a text. These tools allow them to select particular phrases, images, symbols, etc. to help determine whether they need to read further. If they do, then they should move at best possible speed over the material while noting everything, including all the letters and punctuation marks.”

“Myth: Fast readers lose comprehension, and slow readers gain comprehension.
Reality: In fact, the reverse is true. The myth arose because most commercial programs focus solely on speed, as this is the easier of the two techniques to master and the students can see positive results fairly quickly as a result. If they don't see a quick, increase, they often believe they have failed and do not continue. Remember, though, that speed reading is a skill and must be learned over a period of time. It is also important to understand that an increase in reading speed will always precede a person's increase in comprehension. Like driving a car, you only became fluent moving and stopping the car after you've learned the individual components (i.e. brakes, clutch, accelerator, etc.). The same is true if you examine text letter-by-letter or word-byword; you can't focus on the bigger picture (i.e. the story, the article, the blog, etc.), and you miss information. If you read more at a time and at higher speeds, you can understand and appreciate more of what the author has to say.

“Myth: Speed reading only works on certain types of reading material.
Reality: If something is written, it can be speed read. It is important to understand, though, that a speed reader varies the rate of speed depending on the type of material, the familiarity with the text, and a variety of other factors. “

Speed Reading Articles

And finally, an article which shows the results of a particular speed-reading program. The first link shows the results and the second an article in the WSJ which has an article about the program and speed-reading in general..

“In 2012 a NY Capital Management company increased its reading speed 5-fold from 380wpm to 1914wpm and comprehension 15 percentage points with 10 hours of training.”

Speed Reading Facts

http://www.execuread.com/files/9f6e...cc00/799f904a-a059-4108-94a4-3b906b136bad.pdf

I don't know why some people think comprehension is sacrificed as speed is increased when the very opposite is true. The speed-reading program I took tested me every step of the way. If my comprehension level was insufficient, I could not advance. I don't know if every program is so structured but I know that at least most are. It's difficult for me to imagine how any speed-reading course could be successful if the student had problems comprehending what he/she read.

At any rate, I have provided you several links which show that comprehension is actually INCREASED with increased reading speed. Several of these articles explain why this is so. Of course, everyone knows there are limits. While a man's comprehension may be increased when he goes from 500 wpm to 1,000 wpm, there will come a point where his comprehension suffers.

I will have something more for you tonight.

Last edited:
How interesting to see 'sources' that are in fact companies selling speed reading courses. Hmmmm....

I will get into the subject of speed reading in a new moments but first, as promised, I will talk about misspelling.

Laziness, carelessness, and making excuses for inaccuracy will not help students in school, will not help them get into the college of their choice, will not help them on standardized tests, and will not help them land or hold onto jobs. Fixating on the fact that misspelled words can be decoded does not excuse inaccuracy, and in fact encourages counter-productive thinking towards academic rigor and language use generally.

Originally I posted a link saying that logic and speed-reading should be taught in public school. We agree that logic should be taught, but we disagree on speed-reading.

I have sent you a links that describes how school children in the 1950's were reading 1,500 to 6,000 wpm without formal speed-reading training using a very simple method that has been employed with great success over the last 60 years. I propose that if these young kids could speed-read without formal instructions, then kids today could be taught to use this same simple method to increase their reading speeds substantially.

I have also sent you links to explain why speed-readers enjoy greater reading comprehension than those who plod along, word-by-word.

There is no doubt in my mind that teaching speed-reading in schools would be of tremendous benefit to the students. Further, there would be a significant cost savings to the school. You apparently disagree, and I doubt there is any way to change your mind so I will not argue with you further on this issue.

I will leave you with this. You stated that students should be taught to be good readers, not speed-readers, and I cannot accept this. There are many good readers in this country; however there are also millions who are superior readers. All students should be challenged to be the best readers they can possibly be. Merely good isn't good enough, just a step above mediocrity. I was a good reader before I took a speed-reading course. I'm glad I wasn't content to be a good reader and decided to join the many people who improved their reading speed and comprehension substantially through training. I wasn't admitted to law school because I blew the LSAT out of the water. I was admitted mostly because my undergraduate GPA was a flat 4.0. I passed right over those who had “good” grades because mine were perfect. Those who settle for “good” are inevitably passed over by those who want more and prepare themselves for it.

You were passionate regarding your position and I respect that. While I disagreed with many of the things you said I tried to be respectful. If I failed, I truly apologize. I thought you were a little harsh in your comments, but in spite of your strong disagreement you didn't neg me for my equally strong opposition and I also respect that. Tomorrow morning I will pick what I believe to be your best response and rep you for it. Oh screw it, I just repped you for the first one and you will understand it's for everything.

I'm outta the Bull Ring. I thank you for your attendance.

Since we seem to be wrapping up here, let me say thanks for the pos rep. Since I think you'll find it significant - though I don't think it need be for our discussion - I'll let you know where I'm coming from on all this.

I have worked in education, in one form or another, for 20 years. I have helped countless thousands of students with reading and other issues - most of them non-native speakers of English, though not nearly all. I am extremely familiar with the effect of reading speed (as well as dozens of other factors) on overall comprehension at both the upper and lower ends of the scale. I hold a master's degree in Linguistics, and have researched these and related issues in great detail. There are too many factors that contribute to the success or failure of a student in reading or any other academic activity to suggest that simply offering this or that course will magically fix everything else.

I have taught courses in Logic myself to high school students. While I see the value in it, there is virtually no chance that a busy school will find the time to devote a dedicated class to the subject. Logic should be emphasized and imparted in the process of teaching every and any other course in school. It is teachers who need instruction on how to do this. If some students go on to college and choose to major in Philosophy - as I did - they will take many, highly involved courses in logic - as I did. At the secondary school level, logic should be part of teaching young people to think well in and about every subject as a general matter.

There is not nearly enough non-commercially motivated evidence to support devoting a block of the school day to teaching a course in Speed Reading. If some students want to pursue such a course on their own outside of school - more power to 'em, but it will not, and frankly should not, become part of most schools' regular curricula.

So, that's where that is.

Since we seem to be wrapping up here, let me say thanks for the pos rep. Since I think you'll find it significant - though I don't think it need be for our discussion - I'll let you know where I'm coming from on all this.

I have worked in education, in one form or another, for 20 years. I have helped countless thousands of students with reading and other issues - most of them non-native speakers of English, though not nearly all. I am extremely familiar with the effect of reading speed (as well as dozens of other factors) on overall comprehension at both the upper and lower ends of the scale. I hold a master's degree in Linguistics, and have researched these and related issues in great detail. There are too many factors that contribute to the success or failure of a student in reading or any other academic activity to suggest that simply offering this or that course will magically fix everything else.

I have taught courses in Logic myself to high school students. While I see the value in it, there is virtually no chance that a busy school will find the time to devote a dedicated class to the subject. Logic should be emphasized and imparted in the process of teaching every and any other course in school. It is teachers who need instruction on how to do this. If some students go on to college and choose to major in Philosophy - as I did - they will take many, highly involved courses in logic - as I did. At the secondary school level, logic should be part of teaching young people to think well in and about every subject as a general matter.

There is not nearly enough non-commercially motivated evidence to support devoting a block of the school day to teaching a course in Speed Reading. If some students want to pursue such a course on their own outside of school - more power to 'em, but it will not, and frankly should not, become part of most schools' regular curricula.

So, that's where that is.

I said I was out of the bull ring, but I have to add: I'm impressed by the wonderful things you have done. You've made the world a better place.

Last edited:
You've made the world a better place.

I don't know about that, but I appreciate the sentiment. I consider the years I spent creating, managing, and teaching programs to impart English and career skills to refugees and asylum-seekers from some of the most violent, hopeless parts of the world while they tried to resettle in the US in a reality they could never have imagined before as particularly rewarding in a different way. Most of the rest of the time I have gained the necessary skills, knowledge and experience and worked my hardest to provide the best service to people paying good money to get it. Whenever possible I provide instruction - or additional instruction - on the house to those who deserve it.

Can I comment? FD I only read the beginning of this discussion.

Yesterday afternoon fighting the drowsy after lunch reading Cormac McCarthy I go through four pages and realize I missed something. Putting the bookmark where I started, I re-read it later. Attention matters and some material does not lend itself to SR.

The only time I have ever found speed reading useful is when I was familiar with the subject matter. If you are learning something new I doubt anyone can speed read. The mind just doesn't work that way imo. Or my mind doesn't. Remember Evelyn Wood? I tried that for a bit and found it doable but unenjoyable. Maybe there are SR minds just as there are other types of innate mental skills?

Forum List

Back