The Producers

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Another great movie from Mel Brooks. Simply great entertainment all around. If this movie doesn't take home some Oscars, Hollywood will not be giving due recognition to some of its best work in years.

How does it stack up against the original? I wasn't aware Mel Brooks was directing this one, too, I might have to check it out now.

What was the "original"? All I had heard was that "The Producers" was a Broadway show for many years running, then was made into this movie with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick retained in their roles. Lane and Broderick are simply great!

The Producers, the Broadway musical, was actually based on a 1968 Mel Brooks movie of the same name, one of his greatest movies, as a matter of fact. It starred Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, it's definitely worth checking out if you've never seen it.

producers.jpg

Thanks. I'll check that out. I did not know this was another Hollywood re-make. Mostel and Wilder, huh? That is quite interesting casting. Now I'm really curious to see how Wilder handled the accountant's role. It seemed to be so perfect for Matthew Broderick. Who played Uma Thurman's role in the original movie? Do you know who played that role in the Broadway play? We were just wondering about that.

The Producers (1968)
Directed by Mel Brooks

Writing credits
Mel Brooks (written by)

Tagline: Hollywood Never Faced a Zanier Zero Hour!

Plot Outline: Producers Max Bialystock (Mostel) and Leo Bloom (Wilder) make money by producing a sure-fire flop. (more) (view trailer)

User Comments: one of the great comedies (more)

User Rating: 7.8/10 (9,333 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:

Zero Mostel .... Max Bialystock (as Zero in closing credits)
Gene Wilder .... Leo Bloom
Kenneth Mars .... Franz Liebkind
Estelle Winwood .... Old Lady
Renée Taylor .... Eva Braun (as Renee Taylor)
Christopher Hewett .... Roger De Bris
Lee Meredith .... Ulla
William Hickey .... The drunk (as Bill Hickey)
Andréas Voutsinas .... Carmen Ghia (as Andreas Voutsinas)
David Patch .... Doc Goebbels
Dick Shawn .... Lorenzo St. DuBois (L.S.D.)
Barney Martin .... Goring
Madelyn Cates .... Concierge (as Madlyn Cates)
Shimen Ruskin .... The landlord
Frank Campanella .... The bartender

Dan, I was finally able to track down a copy of the original film with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, and I don't think it was nearly as good as the remake. I think if I had seen the original film first, I would not have gone to see the new version, which I really enjoyed.

Forum List

Back