The Problem with the NCAA...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I read parts of a Sports Illustrated article in the doctor's office yesterday (my new hobby since retirement: Going to Doctors' Offices) in which the writers discussed the "problem" impoverished scholarship student/athletes at NCAA colleges who were prevented by NCAA rules from taking any stipend, even though their efforts (arguably) went to enrich the college.

Should the NCAA allow scholarship players to be paid?

My God, how did we get here?

Colleges are EDUCATIONAL institutions! As a diversion for the students from their arduous studies, colleges have historically allowed groups of students to form athletic teams, to compete both internally (intramural) and with other colleges. The non-player students can also enjoy this diversion by watching them play and cheering for their own school against others. The Alumni can also cheer for the teams from the schools that they attended. And keep in mind, even at this relatively-harmless level (it does distract attention from academics), no other developed country provides this sort of outlet for their university students, as it is totally unnecessary and superfluous to the mission of the educational institution.

But driven by various neuroses in our contemporary American society, the colleges, the students, the alumni, and other interested parties have turned this simple, harmless scenario into a cluster-fuck of a national institution (the NCAA) that compromises the integrity of the schools, draws "students" who should never be allowed ON a campus, let alone in a classroom, and exploits them with a bogus "education," false promises of a lucrative post-school career, and in effect, prevents them from earning a living with their athletic efforts.

Athletic scholarships are a cancer in Academe, and should be abolished. If inter-school sports competitions are not completely eliminated, they should be run by university staff on a part-time, minimally-compensated basis, with strict limitations on the numbers of players and time allowed for participation.

The real culprits here are the NFL and the NBA, who profit greatly from a "free" "minor league" development system, where they don't have to PAY young players while they develop into the athletes who can contribute to the teams at the "major-league" level. Baseball is the only major sport that assumes this responsibility, and a pox on the others.

If the NCAA were serious about reform they would immediately eliminate all athletic scholarships, revert to "Division III" rules universally, and place clear, finite limits on coaching staffs, and on interstate travel of teams for competition. And of course, they would have to place serious sanctions on schools breaking the rules.

The NFL and NBA would have no choice but to establish minor leagues, providing jobs to the coaches and players displaced by the educational institutions. In most of the United States, the highest paid "government employee" in the state is the head coach of a college football team. It makes me want to puke.

So the athletes on scholarship who graduate are a waste of time? Really?

So the revenue generated by the teams is a waste for the schools?

Why should their having a scholarship be a factor in whether the players are allowed to be paid?

and exploits them with a bogus "education," false promises of a lucrative post-school career
What exactly is the explicit content/nature of the promises made to collegiate athletes? Seems to me that if they do indeed get a pro contract, as goes the earnings of 20-somethings and in most cases, they are lucrative.
As goes how many collegiate athletes get a pro contract, well, that's a different matter, and while it's not hard to find estimated figures on how many (proportionally) college athletes get pro contracts, I haven't found anything indicating what share of them seek such contracts. If one doesn't seek one and gets one, well that's a bonus if it's what one wants to do and is willing to do. If one doesn't seek one and doesn't get one, that's not a problem. The only problem comes about for folks who want to be drafted yet are not. I don't have figures for that.
In most of the United States, the highest paid "government employee" in the state is the head coach of a college football team. It makes me want to puke.

I have to agree with your sentiment there.

Last edited:
In most of the United States, the highest paid "government employee" in the state is the head coach of a college football team. It makes me want to puke.

I don't know about other schools, but when Nick Saban was hired for $4 million a year (total compensation, not all from the school) people were going crazy. By the 8th game of his second season, the UA had made $32 million from merchandising alone. Paying a top level coach is an investment that pays dividends to the schools.

Athletic scholarships are a cancer in Academe, and should be abolished. ......

a) Not going to happen

b) Absurd notion that ignores reality

c) Painfully obvious manifestation of personal insecurities and bitterness

This kind of attitude reveals the oft-expressed, but woefully inaccurate notion that all college athletes are football or basketball players who will go on to have pro careers. A million miles from reality.

I read parts of a Sports Illustrated article in the doctor's office yesterday (my new hobby since retirement: Going to Doctors' Offices) in which the writers discussed the "problem" impoverished scholarship student/athletes at NCAA colleges who were prevented by NCAA rules from taking any stipend, even though their efforts (arguably) went to enrich the college.

My God, how did we get here?

Colleges are EDUCATIONAL institutions! As a diversion for the students from their arduous studies, colleges have historically allowed groups of students to form athletic teams, to compete both internally (intramural) and with other colleges. The non-player students can also enjoy this diversion by watching them play and cheering for their own school against others. The Alumni can also cheer for the teams from the schools that they attended. And keep in mind, even at this relatively-harmless level (it does distract attention from academics), no other developed country provides this sort of outlet for their university students, as it is totally unnecessary and superfluous to the mission of the educational institution.

But driven by various neuroses in our contemporary American society, the colleges, the students, the alumni, and other interested parties have turned this simple, harmless scenario into a cluster-fuck of a national institution (the NCAA) that compromises the integrity of the schools, draws "students" who should never be allowed ON a campus, let alone in a classroom, and exploits them with a bogus "education," false promises of a lucrative post-school career, and in effect, prevents them from earning a living with their athletic efforts.

Athletic scholarships are a cancer in Academe, and should be abolished. If inter-school sports competitions are not completely eliminated, they should be run by university staff on a part-time, minimally-compensated basis, with strict limitations on the numbers of players and time allowed for participation.

The real culprits here are the NFL and the NBA, who profit greatly from a "free" "minor league" development system, where they don't have to PAY young players while they develop into the athletes who can contribute to the teams at the "major-league" level. Baseball is the only major sport that assumes this responsibility, and a pox on the others.

If the NCAA were serious about reform they would immediately eliminate all athletic scholarships, revert to "Division III" rules universally, and place clear, finite limits on coaching staffs, and on interstate travel of teams for competition. And of course, they would have to place serious sanctions on schools breaking the rules.

The NFL and NBA would have no choice but to establish minor leagues, providing jobs to the coaches and players displaced by the educational institutions. In most of the United States, the highest paid "government employee" in the state is the head coach of a college football team. It makes me want to puke.

You must have attended a school that sucked athletically.

The real culprits here are the NFL and the NBA, who profit greatly from a "free" "minor league" development system......

Do you really think the only college sports are football and basketball?

Baseball assumes what responsibility? Playing talented players less than minimum wage? I'm sure the NBA and NFL would love to have that system. Why not be able to have a player play their sport in the minors andhelp the teams make a tidy profit without having to pay them what they are worth.

People have some wild misconceptions about scholarships and college athletics in general.

Forum List

Back