The problem with education

Here is an example of the kind of science fiction I liked in grade school and high school.
Who the fuck asked you or cares? It's clear you were failed miserably by the educational system and any adults in your life. A shame.

You must care since you keep responding to my posts.

Afraid you might learn something from reading it. :lol:

I explained what was in it. But you would have had me wasting time copying garbage so I supplied info about the alternative use of my time.

psik

Here is an example of the kind of science fiction I liked in grade school and high school.
Who the fuck asked you or cares? It's clear you were failed miserably by the educational system and any adults in your life. A shame.

You must care since you keep responding to my posts.

Did I ask you what science fiction you liked to read as a child? No I did not. Does it have anything to do with you being a pissy little punk who tanked a class because you didn't 'like' it? No it does not. I guess you never learned to focus either.

Did I ask you what science fiction you liked to read as a child? No I did not. Does it have anything to do with you being a pissy little punk who tanked a class because you didn't 'like' it? No it does not. I guess you never learned to focus either.

I "tanked" the entire religion years before I ever took the class dude.

I simply gave you an example of a superior information source. I notice you make no comment about the straight A's in the sciences. Did you do that?

psik

I "tanked" the entire religion years before I ever took the class dude.

I simply gave you an example of a superior information source. I notice you make no comment about the straight A's in the sciences. Did you do that?

Did I ask you what science fiction you liked to read as a child? No I did not. Did I ask you about your grades in other classes? No I did not. Does it have anything to do with you being a pissy little punk who tanked a class because you didn't 'like' it? No it does not. If you decided you didn't 'like' history would your reading science fiction have any-fucking-thing to do with you failing history because you were a stupid little punk? No it would not. I guess you never learned to focus either.

Some of the parents blame on teachers and also some of teachers blame on parents for it. But it's the overall problem you can find everywhere. The mistake is only of our education system.

Can I vent for a moment? Today we had a meeting regarding the national "Common Core Standards" (a separate web site) which is supposed to guide our instruction starting next September. The teachers have been asked to align these standards with the "NJ Core Curriculum Standards", (a separate web site) which are a completely different skill set (process vs. content). In addition, we are to use a unit planning program, (a separate web site) to aid in completing our weekly lesson plans (a separate web site), while incorporating the skill deficiencies of our students which have been identified by our in house testing program ( a separate web site). Mind you, special education teachers are supposed to use the IEP (a separate web site) in order to provide individualized instruction to each student.

Did I mention that my computer is 8 years old?

Each of these programs require on-going teacher training and district licenses at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars.

I don't think anyone at the meeting had a fucking clue as to what they were asking us to do. Except me. I busted up laughing like a crazy person.

And they wonder why Johnny can't read.

Your tax dollars at work.

Did I mention that my computer is 8 years old?

Get a used computer. Probably about 3 years old. Probably a good idea to put in a new hard drive. Unfortunately drive prices have been going up because of flood in Thailand. Ain't that ridiculous? Allowing something that can be manufactured anywhere to get that concentrated.

Anyway, our so called EDUACTIONAL SYSTEM is really designed to serve the economic interests of the educational bureaucracy. Teachers are only slightly higher on the totem pole than the students.

The culture has an imperialistic psychology so everything is done in an imperialistic manner. Students need to find good books and mostly ignore the system.

The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner
Peak Energy: The Shockwave Rider

psik

I've been trying to educate Americans in backward states for thirty years.

I'm mostly liberal thinking except when it comes to children. I wasn't allowed to lean to liberal until I was thirty and didn't care for Reagan.

But liberal policies toward children and education don't work. I went to school in the sixties, and when I went out to teach high school in the late seventies, early eighties, liberal policies in education had taken hold. They haven't gotten better.

But we have a whole generation and more of teachers who grew up with the lousy policies.

Whoever said he got a better education in the fifties was right. Kids don't change, but attitudes toward them do. In the fifties and sixties and before, respect for teachers and school was required, sincere or not. Accomplishment was required for reward. Parents, trying to make the kids grow up well, trusted educators. The old "if you get paddled at school, you'll get it again when you get home" rule applied, and it made a believer out of me. I curbed my behavior.

There are many reasons for that jaffeh, but in my experience, here in NJ, most of the blame goes the lawyers. At any given time, our district is being sued for one thing or another. Most are frivolous, but not worth fighting.

I just read an article about some football players in North Jersey that have been charged with aggravated assault. The school put them on "activity restriction" which is standard discipline when a serious crime occurs off school grounds. After a "4 hour meeting with the players' parents and LAWYERS," the board reversed their decisiion and will allow the boys to play in the championship.

No one has any balls anymore. If I were superintendent of that school, I would have told those parents and lawyers to get the fuck out of my office and get in line to sue us. But lawsuits cost money, so bending over seems to be the only way.

What a wonderful message to send to the other students in that school, eh? Football is more important than nearly beating a kid to death.

The problem in American education is IMO:

1) Decisions are made by those from the outside looking in.
2) Teachers Unions.
3) Department of Education which has categorically failed in every single facet that it was chartered to improve.
4) Parents uninvolved with their child's education.
5) Parents holding their children blameless
6) An ever increasing amoral society that does a TERRIBLE job of rewarding high achievers while excusing and passing under achievers.
7) Last but by no means - politics...getting government the HELL out of educating our children.

No one has any balls anymore. If I were superintendent of that school, I would have told those parents and lawyers to get the fuck out of my office and get in line to sue us. But lawsuits cost money, so bending over seems to be the only way.

What a wonderful message to send to the other students in that school, eh? Football is more important than nearly beating a kid to death.

You are mistaking the cause, but you certainly have the effect "down pat."

In actuality, it is practically impossible to sue any public entity, but school districts are a particularly tough nut. I'm not satying it's impossible, but unless a school bus stops on a train-track, you're unlikely to see any law suite attracing the attention of the vultures in silk ties.

HOWEVER, something almost as bad as losing money is Scandle and Publicity. Superintendents and Principals keep their jobs by not rocking the boat, which often require "bending over."

2) Teachers Unions.
3) Department of Education which has categorically failed in every single facet that it was chartered to improve.
6) An ever increasing amoral society that does a TERRIBLE job of rewarding high achievers while excusing and passing under achievers.
7) Last but by no means - politics...getting government the HELL out of educating our children.

Well if we quit assuming that education meant schooling and created a National Recommended Reading List, possibly by ignoring the people calling themselves educators maybe kids would learn more from reading THE RIGHT BOOKS than from teachers who have an economic interest in dribbling out information slowly.

I have both of these books:

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
The Accounting Game : Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand // Discounted Books from Excel Tip .com

Glencoe Accounting, First-Year Course
Glencoe Accounting, First-Year Course: Real-World Applications & Connections by Donald J. Guerrieri,F. Barry Haber,William B. Hoyt | uRead.com-Books | online bookstore | 9780078456701

The second book costs 5 or more times as much as the first. It has the basic accounting equation on page 48 the first book has it on page 6. Depreciation is on page 524 of the first and 114 of the second. The first book is hard cover and has LOTS of color glossy pictures. So is the objective to spend a lot of time and money learning a little or learn a lot in little time and not spend much.

Which is smart accounting? Does smart accounting serve the purposes of these expensive schools? Curious that they have never suggested mandatory accounting. Don't teachers buy houses and cars like normal people? So either they can't figure out what information is important or they are not making sure everyone knows it.

psik

2) Teachers Unions.

Well if we quit assuming that education meant schooling and created a National Recommended Reading List, possibly by ignoring the people calling themselves educators maybe kids would learn more from reading THE RIGHT BOOKS than from teachers who have an economic interest in dribbling out information slowly.

I have both of these books:

The Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh From the Lemonade Stand
The Accounting Game : Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand // Discounted Books from Excel Tip .com

Glencoe Accounting, First-Year Course
Glencoe Accounting, First-Year Course: Real-World Applications & Connections by Donald J. Guerrieri,F. Barry Haber,William B. Hoyt | uRead.com-Books | online bookstore | 9780078456701

The second book costs 5 or more times as much as the first. It has the basic accounting equation on page 48 the first book has it on page 6. Depreciation is on page 524 of the first and 114 of the second. The first book is hard cover and has LOTS of color glossy pictures. So is the objective to spend a lot of time and money learning a little or learn a lot in little time and not spend much.

Which is smart accounting? Does smart accounting serve the purposes of these expensive schools? Curious that they have never suggested mandatory accounting. Don't teachers buy houses and cars like normal people? So either they can't figure out what information is important or they are not making sure everyone knows it.

psik

I cannot see where the national reading lists we already have make that much difference. Parents should definitely require more reading from children, but not all children can learn from reading alone. I know three accountants and two engineers that have a lot of problems with reading. My son, who is studying to be an engineer was taking calculus in middle school and had to go to special classes for reading.

Naperville Illinos students regularly score in the top1% in the world for math and science. Yet they spend no more on education than neighboring school districts. The only thing they do differently is they make all of the students exercise. Exercising increases the ability to learn....,time to bring back mandatory PE classes for all students.

why did the kid's parents start complaining about their grades? sure the school should hold their ground, a bad grade is a bad grade....but it seems to me, in the cartoon's last pic....it's the PARENT's that are the real problem!

Thom Friedman agrees with you....this was from his NYTimes article:

“Fifteen-year-old students whose parents often read books with them during their first year of primary school show markedly higher scores in PISA 2009 than students whose parents read with them infrequently or not at all. The performance advantage among students whose parents read to them in their early school years is evident regardless of the family’s socioeconomic background. Parents’ engagement with their 15-year-olds is strongly associated with better performance in PISA.”http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/opinion/sunday/friedman-how-about-better-parents.html

Naperville Illinos students regularly score in the top1% in the world for math and science. Yet they spend no more on education than neighboring school districts. The only thing they do differently is they make all of the students exercise. Exercising increases the ability to learn....,time to bring back mandatory PE classes for all students.

Great post. It also teaches children to work with others well, and participate in a team-like environment. PE def. serves it place in school, it's a shame that many schools are doing away with it.

edit: I started coaching high school hockey a few years ago, just for fun. And I was blown away at the "me, me, me" involved with most of the players. It's as if they didn't understand how to be apart of a team, and work towards a common goal for their organization. Almost all of them were like that (not all).

Not to mention every kid's parents were complaining to me about having their kids be on the 1st line. Because their child was special. And forget about the kids who didn't make the team...their parents were the worst. I had one kid who didn't make the team his freshman year (I don't play favorites-the best players make the team), and he didn't complain, told me he was going to work really hard to make the team the next year. I told him I'd give him private lessons for free-and he did. He was so dedicated and worked so hard that the next year he didn't only make the team-he was one of the best players. The other kids who were cut never showed up the next year for tryouts-not sure if they quit or not, couldn't tell you. But I'm sure it was "my fault" either way. haha

Last edited:

Great post. It also teaches children to work with others well, and participate in a team-like environment. PE def. serves it place in school, it's a shame that many schools are doing away with it.

edit: I started coaching high school hockey a few years ago, just for fun. And I was blown away at the "me, me, me" involved with most of the players. It's as if they didn't understand how to be apart of a team, and work towards a common goal for their organization. Almost all of them were like that (not all).

Not to mention every kid's parents were complaining to me about having their kids be on the 1st line. Because their child was special. And forget about the kids who didn't make the team...their parents were the worst. I had one kid who didn't make the team his freshman year (I don't play favorites-the best players make the team), and he didn't complain, told me he was going to work really hard to make the team the next year. I told him I'd give him private lessons for free-and he did. He was so dedicated and worked so hard that the next year he didn't only make the team-he was one of the best players. The other kids who were cut never showed up the next year for tryouts-not sure if they quit or not, couldn't tell you. But I'm sure it was "my fault" either way. haha

Here is a link to some great research on the topic. I just finished the book "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113506"]spark- the revolutionary new science of exercise [/ame]- very eye opening.

John J. Ratey, MD

Imo, the problem with education is mostly the parents, or the lack thereof. Teachers and social workers can never be an adequate replacement for parents who are fully involved in helping their children prepare for life. Family is the cornerstone of the foundation. Self-discilipine is the key to success. Self-disclipine begins in the home with parents who are willing to be parents for the well-being of their children.

Forum List

Back