The Problem with an "Assault Weapon" Ban

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jwoodie, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,904
    is that it would give a Federal Bureaucracy (probably ATF) the discretion to define this nebulous term in any way it desires without Congressional approval. Just as the EPA has taken upon itself the power to regulate CO2 emissions, the ATF could decide at some later date that anything other than single shot rifles are "assault weapons" which can be regulated by them. I am not a gun nut or NRA member, but I am aware that 90% of federal law is in regulations rather than in legislative statutes. Giving discretionary authority to governmental agencies is almost never a good idea.

2. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    If one is being assaulted with a toaster, the toaster would be an 'assault weapon. '

3. deltex1

deltex1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,526
    How about one of these??

XM-25,
    Perhaps the most innovative small arm of recent years is the XM-25 "Punisher" 25-mm grenade launcher. A laser measures the range to the target, so the grenade can be set to explode midair at the exact point it passes over a foxhole or a wall to target enemies behind cover. Five weapons were issued in Afghanistan on a trial basis in 2010 and they have had good reports. However, the XM25's estimated cost of over $30,000 may prove to be something of a limitation for now.

4. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Lets cut the bullshit. It isn't about assault weapons per se. It's about the left wanting a ban on them to use as a platform to get all guns eventually banned and hop on the bandwagon with the U.N.

Ever meet a leftwing liberal who didn't know what's best for you but doesn't want it applied to them?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,588
    F-troop is already doing that! Look at the ban on so-called "armor-piercing pistol ammunition".

6. tjvh

tjvh Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +916
    The Problem with an "Assault Weapon" Ban ???? That the term assault weapon is an imaginary term invented by gun control advocates. Let's be clear... It's pretty difficult to ban imaginary inanimate objects that apparently scare some very irrational people.

7. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,962
    What you radical NRA NaziCon gun nuts fail to consider is that many of us, both left and right, are also gun lovers - but we believe in "sensible" gun control. We worry that you radical nuts will cost all of us our "reasonable" gun rights with your uncompromising never-give-an-inch mentality.

8. P@triot

P@triot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,549
    You guys always spout this nonsense, but with zero examples.

We already have "sensible gun control". With each and every firearm I have ever purchased, I've had a full background check by the F.B.I.

Let me repeat that, just in case that hasn't sunk in yet for any idiot liberals out there. With each and every firearm I have ever purchased, I've had a full background check by the F.B.I.

If a background check by the nation's highest (and most well funded) law enforcement agency is not enough, what is?!?

9. P@triot

P@triot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,549
    [​IMG]

10. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +629
    I'm impressed with the "hands, fists, feet" method. Actually much more effective than assault weapons...