The problem with a strong centralized government is that they lack humility

Generally Thoreau is credited with coining this phrase , and he most certainly wasn't a libertarian (which is nothing more than an anarchist.) He believed that government was a necessity and had its place, he merely believed in civil disobedience when one disagreed with the government.

I know this, but he didn't advocate for a strong centralized government.

Actually in the battle of the day over who should be the more influential between state and federal governments, Thoreau favored the federal government.

I really think that you are distorting reality to suit your case.

Thoreau didn't sit in jail because he believe in federal policy. He didn't spend years excluding himself from federalist policies.

While he believed in federalism, he would not accept our current federalist government.

Unfortunately, you are a rw kook who thinks otherwise.

Consumption taxes are the most damaging economically. Why would you prefer to use them than something that has the least impact economically? I do agree that taxing investments is stupid though.

I believe that saving and investing is better for the economy than unabashed consumption.

However, many people disagree with this simple analysis, including high level economists.

Economic growth comes through investment, not consumption. It amazes me that people think the opposite.

Which is why I pointed out that taxing investment is stupid, that does not make taxing consumption smart though. The really weird thing here is you think you can have investing without someone consuming.

There are a few basic things the government can tax. They can tax income, trade goods, or use a VAT or a sales tax to tax consumption. All of these raise prices artificially, thus reducing consumption, and the incentive to invest. The ones with the greatest impact on prices are the ones that directly add to the cost of goods, and those tend to be the consumption/sales taxes.

The economy is not a simple either or thing, it is the most complex thing ever created by man, and largely out of our control.

Consumption taxes are the most damaging economically. Why would you prefer to use them than something that has the least impact economically? I do agree that taxing investments is stupid though.

I believe that saving and investing is better for the economy than unabashed consumption.

However, many people disagree with this simple analysis, including high level economists.

Economic growth comes through investment, not consumption. It amazes me that people think the opposite.

Which is why I pointed out that taxing investment is stupid, that does not make taxing consumption smart though. The really weird thing here is you think you can have investing without someone consuming.

There are a few basic things the government can tax. They can tax income, trade goods, or use a VAT or a sales tax to tax consumption. All of these raise prices artificially, thus reducing consumption, and the incentive to invest. The ones with the greatest impact on prices are the ones that directly add to the cost of goods, and those tend to be the consumption/sales taxes.

The economy is not a simple either or thing, it is the most complex thing ever created by man, and largely out of our control.

Tell me where the best place to tax is. We need taxation if we want government.

I think that shifting the burden towards taxation on consumption rather than income and savings is the best, but you strongly disagree. Why?

Where should we tax?

Last edited:

Tell me where the best place to tax is. We need taxation if we want government.

I think that shifting the burden towards taxation on consumption rather than income and savings is the best, but you strongly disagree. Why?

Where should we tax?

Because economic growth is driven by low prices, not investment, that should be obvious enough that even you understand it. tell me, which type of tax do you think has the lowest impact on prices?

Because economic growth is driven by low prices, not investment, that should be obvious enough that even you understand it. tell me, which type of tax do you think has the lowest impact on prices?

Even if you are right, you argue for a strong and centralized Federal Reserve that drives up prices.

You are nothing, but a dishonest piece of shit.

I know this, but he didn't advocate for a strong centralized government.

Actually in the battle of the day over who should be the more influential between state and federal governments, Thoreau favored the federal government.

Thoreau didn't sit in jail because he believe in federal policy. He didn't spend years excluding himself from federalist policies.

While he believed in federalism, he would not accept our current federalist government.

First of all, in regards to Thoreau please show me where I said that he would be happy with today's federal government. I never said that. What I DID say was that in the debate over which should have more power the states or the federal government, Thoreau favored the federal government having more power. You are reading more into one what I wrote to suit your agenda.

Second, I'm actually pretty middle of the road politically speaking, hardly a rightwinger, let alone a rightwing kook

First of all, in regards to Thoreau please show me where I said that he would be happy with today's federal government. I never said that. What I DID say was that in the debate over which should have more power the states or the federal government, Thoreau favored the federal government having more power. You are reading more into one what I wrote to suit your agenda.

Second, I'm actually pretty middle of the road politically speaking, hardly a rightwinger, let alone a rightwing kook

If your analysis is right, then I disagree with Thoreau.

And your point is?

And your point is?

You're completely entitled to disagree with him of course, but historical facts are historical facts.

My point is you call me a right wing kook when I am in fact pretty middle of the road. Another generalization by you that makes no sense.

Last edited:

And your point is?

You're completely entitled to disagree with him of course, but historical facts are historical facts.

My point is you call me a right wing kook when I am in fact pretty middle of the road. Another federalization by you that makes no sense.

I am sorry to call you a rw kook. You are very intelligent and sensible.

I was wrong.

And your point is?

My point is you call me a right wing kook when I am in fact pretty middle of the road. Another federalization by you that makes no sense.

I am sorry to call you a rw kook. You are very intelligent and sensible.

I was wrong.

Thank you, it's all good. It's easy to get carried away with the hyperbole on here and forget that not all of us are nuts who do nothing but spout talking points of one party or the other.

Even if you are right, you argue for a strong and centralized Federal Reserve that drives up prices.

You are nothing, but a dishonest piece of shit.

Where have I argued for a strong central anything?

Forum List

Back