The problem with a strong centralized government is that they lack humility

Apr 17, 2011
Unfortunately, they think that they are "being humble" while trying to solve our nation's and the world's problems. However, this is where the 10th Amendment comes in; people are best to solve their own problems.

Now, I am not against some public policy and some public interventionism, but it angers me that these "humble civil servants act humbly" in our best interest, when they clearly don't.

Plus, it takes humility to recognize that a consolidation of power over wars and money is not necessarily a good thing. It can be extremely harmful, but some fucking idiots will not recognize this most pertinent fact.

Making governments smaller and more local doesn't create more liberty.

It's not the federal government telling you what color you can paint your house or how often you have to mow your lawn or whether or not you can have a rummage sale.

It's your teeny tiny homeowners' association, or your itty bitty zoning board.

Making governments smaller and more local doesn't create more liberty.

It's not the federal government telling you what color you can paint your house or how often you have to mow your lawn or whether or not you can have a rummage sale.

It's your teeny tiny homeowners' association, or your itty bitty zoning board.

I disagree with your premise that a strong and centralized government makes people more free.

Could you elaborate on your premise?

He who governs least governs best.

That quote stems back to Thomas Paine or Henry David Thoreau.

Both were liberal anarchists to a degree, but Paine was more of a geoliberatian.

Generally Thoreau is credited with coining this phrase , and he most certainly wasn't a libertarian (which is nothing more than an anarchist.) He believed that government was a necessity and had its place, he merely believed in civil disobedience when one disagreed with the government.

He who governs least governs best.

Both were liberal anarchists to a degree, but Paine was more of a geoliberatian.

Generally Thoreau is credited with coining this phrase , and he most certainly wasn't a libertarian (which is nothing more than an anarchist.) He believed that government was a necessity and had its place, he merely believed in civil disobedience when one disagreed with the government.

I know this, but he didn't advocate for a strong centralized government.

Actually in the battle of the day over who should be the more influential between state and federal governments, Thoreau favored the federal government.

Actually in the battle of the day over who should be the more influential between state and federal governments, Thoreau favored the federal government.

That is nice and all, but I disagree. Why do you think that a strong and centralized government is the cure to all our solutions?

Last edited:

That is nice and all, but I disagree. Why do you think that a strong and centralized government is the cure to all our solutions?

I don't particularly care what YOU agree with. A historical fact is a historical fact. Thoreau thought that the central government should be stronger than the state governments PERIOD.

Also, my pointing that FACT out to you in noway reflects my own beliefs. I actually believe our federal government is too big by half, at least.

Unfortunately, they think that they are "being humble" while trying to solve our nation's and the world's problems. However, this is where the 10th Amendment comes in; people are best to solve their own problems.

Now, I am not against some public policy and some public interventionism, but it angers me that these "humble civil servants act humbly" in our best interest, when they clearly don't.

Plus, it takes humility to recognize that a consolidation of power over wars and money is not necessarily a good thing. It can be extremely harmful, but some fucking idiots will not recognize this most pertinent fact.

Wrong. IMO what is wrong with a strong Central Government is the exact opposite. It is not that the lack humanity, it is that they are Human. Power corrupts, the more power you put in Federal Bureaucrats hands, the more they will abuse it. The Key problem is that we have to count on people to Carry out our wishes, and that will always be the problem. That is why I support keeping as much government, as local as possible. Smaller scale means more direct input, and more accountability. I rather argue with some asshole at the county building, or even in Lansing, than have to deal with some asshole in DC. IMO anyways.

Last edited:

Wrong. IMO what is wrong with a strong Central Government is the exact opposite. It is not that the lack humanity, it is that they are Human. Power corrupts, the more power you put in Federal Bureaucrats hands, the more they will abuse it. The Key problem is that we have to count on people to Carry out our wishes, and that will always be the problem. That is why I support keeping as much government, as local as possible. Smaller scale means more direct input, and more accountability. I rather argue with some asshole at the county building, or even in Lansing, than have to deal with some asshole in DC. IMO anyways.

You are a fuckiing idiot.

Perhaps I need to spell out your own conclusion.

I don't particularly care what YOU agree with. A historical fact is a historical fact. Thoreau thought that the central government should be stronger than the state governments PERIOD.

Also, my pointing that FACT out to you in noway reflects my own beliefs. I actually believe our federal government is too big by half, at least.

That is fine and all, but I don't believe in a strong and centralized government and Thoreau didn't either, but that does not stop from supporting the facts.

Forum List

Back