The Prisoner's Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by George Costanza, Apr 4, 2010.

1. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    The Prinsoner's Dilemma is a fundamental problem in game theory that demonstrates why two people might not cooperate, even if it is in both their best interests to do so. Here is the situation:

OK - Go.

2. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    No honor among thieves. Rat the other guy out.

If he's too stupid to do it, then that is his tough luck.

Immie

3. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    The key to the problem is that the two prisoners are not allowed to communicate with each other prior to giving their answers.

A can certainly rat B out - but A doesn't know what B is going to do, and that makes the critical difference. If A rats B out and B chooses to remain silent (which he can do), A goes free while B gets a 10-year sentence. However, if A rats B out and B rats A out, then they both get 5-year sentences.

So, at the very least, before deciding what to do, A has to give some thought to what he thinks B is going to do.

"Ratting the other guy out" may well not be the best option.

Rational choice leads the two prisoners to both rat the other one out, even though each prisoner's individual reward would be greater if they both played cooperatively.

In truth, this is a horribly complicated puzzle. There are numerous Web sites discussing it. One of the most basic is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  4. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    This is why you have to have Vito waiting on the outside ready to take the guy who ratted out the other guy out on a little boating trip.

5. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I understand that, but look at it this way, I have an option of spending 10 years in prison, spending 5 years in prison, 6 months in jail or no time at all.

Figuring the guy that I got busted with is untrustworthy anyway, I figure if I don't rat him out, I'm gonna spend 10 years in prison. So, in order to minimize that possibility, I'm gonna rat his ass out. If he's too stupid not to do so against me, then I get off scott free and he can spend 10 years thinking about what a fool he was.

Immie

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Don't break the law. Sorted.

7. Defiant1

Defiant1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +983
    Let's complicate it a little more: Also arrested is a third man, an innocent bystander who has never seen either of the other two men in his life. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is maintains silence except to proclaim his innocence.

Now instead of how long they would stay in prison change it to how much money they would pay and you have...............

Obamacare

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,376
    You hedge your bet by ratting the other guy out. The worst you can get is 5 years, best is go free. If you remain silent, you stand the chance of getting 10.

It's a no brainer.