The Price of Children

Parents who truly love their children do their best to do just that.

Those parents are in the extreme minority though...

Are you on The Planet of the Lizard People?

sleestak_enik2-730239.jpg

I think so. Unfortunately.

A parents duty is to help a child grow up to be an educated adult ready to make it on their own in the world.

I think most parents are both selfish and giving of themselves. The best try to strike a good balance between the two. Parents are only human after all.

Except maybe on the Planet of the Lizard People.

I think most parents are both selfish and giving of themselves. The best try to strike a good balance between the two. Parents are only human after all.

Except maybe on the Planet of the Lizard People.

I am Anguille's sock puppet this morning.

I agree with this completely.

Also, I've delt with a LOT of kids, like, probably a total exceeding 600, and my experience was that 99% of parents cared TREMENDOUSLY, almost to an annoying degree, about their kids.

Of course, you only hear about the 1% that don't. Anamolies are interesting.

Yes many parents care tremendously about their children and coddle and spoil them. But do little to prepare them for standing on their own in the real world.
Careing for / loving you children has little to do with my arguement.

Yes many parents care tremendously about their children and coddle and spoil them. But do little to prepare them for standing on their own in the real world.

OK, that does make more sense.

I think you're right, but as a parent of three, I'm not sure what more I can do.

Why don't you tell me?

I understand your point better now. I agree that many parents are ill equipped to provide a solid upbringing. But sometimes, even though the parents make mistakes, the love still comes through and that has a positive effect on the kids and helps them while learning life's lessons on their own.

I think you're right, but as a parent of three, I'm not sure what more I can do.

Why don't you tell me?

Hey I just recognize the problem, I do not know the soloution.
Perhaps better discipline?
Teaching children to live within their means?
Teaching them to respect others?
Be proud of their work?
To get a good education?
To not have children while they are still children?
Not to raise your childs child?
I guess that leads up to personal responsibility?

Why don't you tell me?

Hey I just recognize the problem, I do not know the soloution.
Perhaps better discipline?
Teaching children to live within their means?
Teaching them to respect others?
Be proud of their work?
To get a good education?
To not have children while they are still children?
Not to raise your childs child?
I guess that leads up to personal responsibility?

Perhaps on the Planet of The Lizard People, they just lay a clutch of eggs and wander off, but here I think most parents are trying to do all these things.

Maybe Legalized Marijuana will make it easier?:eusa_whistle:

(Actually, that's pretty far down on my list)

Seriously, one of the biggest obsticles I've found, and its relative to all your points, is simply Allowing Kids to Work.

The best way to teach: discipline, living within their means, respect for others, pride in their work, desire to get a good education, and personal responsibility is to allow employers to hire children.

Unhappily, the damn child labor laws don't allow us to do this until kids are 14, and then they are very limited in hours and types of jobs. Even at 16, they can only be employed 20 hrs/week.

I guess I'll continue my little rant in another thread:redface:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back