The Praxeology and Ethics of Traffic Lights

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Seems like a good time to get everyone's thoughts on this:

Martin Cassini, a photographer and advocate for road deregulation, has produced a marvelous series of videos documenting the results of the Cabstand Junction Trial that started in September of 2009 in North Somerset, in Great Britain. The videos, which can be viewed on his website FitRoads.com and on YouTube, show the remarkable before and after results of the experiment.
Without traffic lights regulating intersections, congestion has disappeared and accidents are virtually nonexistent. With the exception of a few who still assume right of way, drivers are courteous and give way to pedestrians and other drivers.

The Praxeology and Ethics of Traffic Lights - Justin T.P. Quinn - Mises Daily

We're starting to see a lot more roundabouts in the new developments around here. :eusa_think:

As much a proponent of dereg and repealing laws as I am, I'm not comfortable with my life being in the hands of assumed driver "courtesy" in the absence of traffic lights.

One study in one tiny little area means nothing to me.

I've seen so much stupidity on the road in my time that there's no way I'm trusting idiots to regulate their own traffic patterns.

I will say though, that there are probably a ton of intersections that would be better suited with a simple 4-way stop, than a light I have to sit and wait for even when there's no one coming through the adjacent road.

I run those kinds of red lights regularly.

Forum List

Back