The potential of a potential human life and all that entails.

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
observation: When debating the merits or ethics and morality of abortion it is difficult to get around the self-righteousness of people on all sides.

---

Is abortion a medical procedure? Some procedures involve going inside of a woman's body. Some abortions can be performed without the aid of a doctor, but what if something goes amiss, doesn't it then lead back to medicine?

When is the potential of a potential life worth the restricting of the lives of the living?

If genetic science and new medical techniques (back to medicine involved in life choices) were to say a potential life if given the chance would potentially survive outside a womb would that in your opinion warrant the state enforcing a woman to give over a fetus to be grown by the state outside of the woman's womb, or would it warrant the state forcing a woman to carry a fetus to term?

Last edited:
All life restricts the lives of the living.

That's why we can't speed, we can't steal, we can't murder, and we can't screw our immediate family members.

Life is life. What you're asking is whether or not we have the authority to determine what life is valuable, and what life isn't.

All life is valuable, and neither you nor I nor anyone else has the authority to deem one person's life "less valuable" than the life of the person standing next to them.

Do you think the life of a quadrapalegic is valuable? Should they be euthanised so they aren't restricting the lives of those who love and upon whom they defend?

What about the life of a drunk or an epileptic?

Nobody has the right to make those decisions.

In an age and society where there is every options to avoid pregnancy, from abstaining to morning after pills, there is no excuse NOT to preserve distinct genetic human life instead of excuses for irresponsibility.

observation: When debating the merits or ethics and morality of abortion it is difficult to get around the self-righteousness of people on all sides.

---

Is abortion a medical procedure? Some procedures involve going inside of a woman's body. Some abortions can be performed without the aid of a doctor, but what if something goes amiss, doesn't it then lead back to medicine?

When is the potential of a potential life worth the restricting of the lives of the living?

If genetic science and new medical techniques (back to medicine involved in life choices) were to say a potential life if given the chance would potentially survive outside a womb would that in your opinion warrant the state enforcing a woman to give over a fetus to be grown by the state outside of the woman's womb, or would it warrant the state forcing a woman to carry a fetus to term?

That's why we can't speed, we can't steal, we can't murder, and we can't screw our immediate family members.

Life is life. What you're asking is whether or not we have the authority to determine what life is valuable, and what life isn't.

All life is valuable, and neither you nor I nor anyone else has the authority to deem one person's life "less valuable" than the life of the person standing next to them.

Do you think the life of a quadrapalegic is valuable? Should they be euthanised so they aren't restricting the lives of those who love and upon whom they defend?

What about the life of a drunk or an epileptic?

Nobody has the right to make those decisions.

Society restricts the lives of the living. I ask if anyone supports the idea that society restrict a woman who is pregnant because of the potential of a potential life. I do not ask if society has "the authority to determine what life is valuable, and what life isn't, because I know it does. Society can make any laws it wants.

As thinking about the value of any one life I remember the impact a movie made on me: Sophie's Choice. I would like to think that rarely is a person given the duty, forced or otherwise, to choose the value of one life over another,..but we as a society do get to make the choice of when to put people to death---to end a life. Is that not a judgment on the value of a life?

I do judge the value of a life in the way you list. I make judgments like that every day. I do not support forced euthanasia, but I do support assisted suicide. I know a person who ended up blowing through a straw after a fall. I do not know how I would feel about continue living in that state. I do know some in that state hate it.

You are on a rant and making assumptions and speeches. Try speaking to me.

In an age and society where there is every options to avoid pregnancy, from abstaining to morning after pills, there is no excuse NOT to preserve distinct genetic human life instead of excuses for irresponsibility.

preserve distinct human genetic material or human life? are those two definitions the same thing to you? if not what are the distinctions between them?

Ali, "All life restricts the lives of the living."

What? How does anyone's life personally restrict me?

The person you stand behind at the store.
The person who cuts you off at the intersection or steals your parking space.
The laws (created by people) which prevent you from taking morphine at will, growing pot in your backyard, or keeping barnyard animals in your apartment.

preserve distinct human genetic material or human life? are those two definitions the same thing to you? if not what are the distinctions between them?

not material. I'm not trying to strap on a collection unit for menses. But, fertilization is a consequence of irresponsibility and should be recognized for what it is in relation to the creation of genetically distinct human beings.

test tube baby approved.

Society restricts the lives of the living. I ask if anyone supports the idea that society restrict a woman who is pregnant because of the potential of a potential life. I do not ask if society has "the authority to determine what life is valuable, and what life isn't, because I know it does. Society can make any laws it wants.

As thinking about the value of any one life I remember the impact a movie made on me: Sophie's Choice. I would like to think that rarely is a person given the duty, forced or otherwise, to choose the value of one life over another,..but we as a society do get to make the choice of when to put people to death---to end a life. Is that not a judgment on the value of a life?

I do judge the value of a life in the way you list. I make judgments like that every day. I do not support forced euthanasia, but I do support assisted suicide. I know a person who ended up blowing through a straw after a fall. I do not know how I would feel about continue living in that state. I do know some in that state hate it.

I have been speaking to you. You don't like what you hear.

And actually, you did ask how others personally restrict your freedom. You're moving the goal posts and changing the language.

Not that it matters. Society is people. People restrict the freedom of other people. That's what it is.

And you can judge every day if you like. But you do not have the right act upon all those judgments. You can judge whether you think a person's life has value, but if you decide it doesn't, you don't have the right to take that person's life.

The person you stand behind at the store.
The person who cuts you off at the intersection or steals your parking space.
The laws (created by people) which prevent you from taking morphine at will, growing pot in your backyard, or keeping barnyard animals in your apartment.

sort of a twisted logic. faulty, but logic.

the store: a choice. I choose to be in line. My freedom not restricted.

the asshole/person: those examples are human interactions which I can choose to avoid. and being inconvenienced by assholes is not government intervention.

laws/government intervention: this is where I choose to accept restrictions on my freedoms and life. I do have the illogical (to me) choice of removing myself from society, but there is a middle way---less involvement in certain areas of society. morphine is a controlled substance. this is because of a policy, (similar do-goody reasoning pro-lifers advocate), that aims to protect society from the harm that supposedly comes from dug abuse, not aimed at protecting me from use. it has evolved into a medical use only thing in some minds but I think it can legally be used for other purposes (too complicated to go into here). you have perhaps misunderstood the reasoning of why morphine use is restricted?

pot argument? see above.

barnyard animals? zoning. sound reasoning but not always good policy. it goes back to ones rights ending at the doorstep of another person's rights.

think about that last one. one person's rights vs another person's rights.

New Topics

Forum List

Back