The poor get $8.21 in government spending for each dollar of federal, state and local

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Who Pays America's Tax Burden, and Who Gets the Most Government Spending?

by Andrew Chamberlain, Gerald Prante and Scott A. Hodge

Special Report No. 151

Executive Summary
While many studies answer the ques*tion of who pays taxes in America, the question of who gets the most government spending is often overlooked. Just as some Americans bear a larger portion of the nation's tax burden than others, some Americans also receive a larger share of the nation's government spending.

This report summarizes the key findings of a comprehensive 2007 Tax Foundation study of federal, state and local taxes and government spending. The results show that when we consider the distribution of government spending as well as taxes, it provides a dramatically altered view of how U.S. fiscal policy affects Americans at different income levels than is apparent from the distribution of tax burdens alone.

Overall, we find that America's lowest-earning one-fifth of households received roughly $8.21 in government spending for each dollar of taxes paid in 2004. Households with middle-incomes received $1.30 per tax dollar, and America's highest-earning households received $0.41. Government spending targeted at the lowest-earning 60 percent of U.S. households is larger than what they paid in federal, state and local taxes. In 2004, between $1.03 trillion and $1.53 trillion was redistributed downward from the two highest income quintiles to the three lowest income quintiles through government taxes and spending policy.

These findings suggest tax distributions alone do not tell Americans how much the nation's fiscal system is helping or hurting low-income households. To answer that, we must look beyond tax burdens to government spending as well. Lawmakers who ignore the distribution of govern*ment spending risk making policy judgments based on an incorrect set of facts about the United States fiscal system.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/2282.html

The current tax system is nothing more then the redistribution of wealth

Saw this reported on Fox News today. I suppose right now I'm considered poor as I will be getting both a Fed and State refund. Never here about the tax break for the poorest 5% do we.

As housing prospects are uncertain, the Fed sees the drag in the sector remaining. Though the US economy will grow - grow at a 'moderate' pace, Bernanke warned of risks staying. Meanwhile, the Fed Chairman's statements pushed the US stocks lower, adding to traders' worries about tensions between Iran and the West.

Saw this reported on Fox News today. I suppose right now I'm considered poor as I will be getting both a Fed and State refund. Never here about the tax break for the poorest 5% do we.

How does getting a tax refund mean you're considered poor?

The bottom 5% doesn't pay taxes because there's a self-support reserve. They do have to feed themselves. I wouldn't consider that a "tax break".... just appropriate.

That our Christian nation is tending to the poor as Christ commands.

"I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

"For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment. What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:13-17

Oh god..another religious wackoo.. I cant stand people who think everything in the bible actually happened. Religion is the root of all evil and more people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason.

That our Christian nation is tending to the poor as Christ commands.

"I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

"For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment. What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:13-17

Oh god..another religious wackoo.. I cant stand people who think everything in the bible actually happened. Religion is the root of all evil and more people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason.

For once we agree. Islam is a dynamite Religion and will blow you away

How does getting a tax refund mean you're considered poor?

The bottom 5% doesn't pay taxes because there's a self-support reserve. They do have to feed themselves. I wouldn't consider that a "tax break".... just appropriate.

Meanwhile the top 50% of taxpayers pay for all their social services in the form of wealth transfers

It is disgusting those who use government sevices the least pay the most in taxes, while those who use government services the most pay the least in taxes

Thank God that this Christian nation is taking up Jesus' light and spreading it around in the form of our government.

Why does RSR insist on attacking Christianity and Christian values?

Thank God that this Christian nation is taking up Jesus' light and spreading it around in the form of our government.

Why does RSR insist on attacking Christianity and Christian values?

Jesus also said God helps those who help themselves

Libs prefer to help others by helping themselves to more and more of my money and giving it others

After 40 years and $9 trillion - why not admit government social programs are not ending poverty - but they do make people dependent on government and libs - which is what libs want in the first place

Stop attacking Christianity RSR...

I am pointing ou what a total failure liberalism has been, and how all libs want is for people to be totally dependent on them

Much like the neighborhood drug dealer, libs want people to come crawling to them for thier next fix - or in this case - their next government issued check

Why do you hate the poor? Why the need for class warfare?

Don't know about RSR, but I don't hate them, I disapprove of them. Most people are poor via the choices they have made. But liberals make them out to be victims. We have equal opportunity in this country, but libs take it one step farther. Because the poor are victims and poor through no fault of their own, (cause it can't be that they squandered their opportunities) that means equal opportunity won't work. So will just try to make equal outcomes which is what libs, admit it or not, believe, because it's what their policies reflect. Of course to achieve equal outcomes that means essentially taking money from people that made good choices and giveing to those that made bad ones. That is why conservatives get upset about this. Libs don't see it that way. Those poor people are just victims who just need a little a help from greedy rich people.

Forum List

Back