The Politics of General Patton

Patton wanted to team up with willing elements of the Nazi Wehrmacht against the Soviets? Am I getting that right?

And he wanted to do that right at the time when the full scope of the Nazi holocaust was reaching the rest of world?

lol, good luck.

I believe that is correct, his idea was to rearm the Germans and go to war with the Soviet Union.

Yup. The Germans themselves wanted to surrender to the Western Allies. They would have handed over everyone we wanted, they just wanted to be able to continue the war against the Soviets, and this was offered in the middle of 1944.

By the end of the war, the Soviets had been bled dry. They no longer had the huge advantage in people they had enjoyed at the beginning of the war. Had the US gone to war with them, with German help. I have no doubt we would have won. It would however certainly have been a very bloody affair.

The Soviet tanks were far better than ours. No question. They weren't as good as the Panther, but they were orders of magnitude better than ours. Even the Pershing was no match for a JSU-152 or JS-2. But, our air power would absolutely have ruled the sky's after about three to four months.

That would negate the Soviet advantage in artillery and in men. We were a fully mobile army, they weren't. They were only as mobile as they were because we gave them 600,000 trucks through lend lease. The US gave the Soviets millions of tons of munitions, food, weapons, and medicine. Had that been taken away the Soviet armies would have collapsed after a few months of combat.

The problem would have been in administering that huge area. We can't control Iraq, there is no way we could have controlled the vastly larger Soviet Union. We would still have troops there, and we would still be actively fighting partisans to this day had we attacked.

Pretty much what the Germans thought in 1941.......they were wrong.

The US was at full war production for less than two years. We began cancelling production towards the end of 1943. That's when we knew we were going to win. We out produced the entire world in that short period. We would have done to the Soviets, what they had done to the Germans, only we wouldn't have suffered the massive losses that they did.

However, the "victory" would still be being fought for today against partisans. That much is very clear.

I don't think Patton was serious about invading the Soviet Union; you'd have to be completely fucking crazy to imagine a fantasy scenario like that would have any chance of success.

I actually agree with you on this point. I think he was using a ridiculous statement to wake up the top brass that they were giving the store away and he wanted them to think about what they were agreeing too. The Soviets were taking all that they could and being obnoxious to get their way. Patton I think just wanted our guys to use a little more backbone.

Only Tories rival the GOP for arrogant douchebag status among major parties in the modern world, and for loudmouth racist ignorant dingbats.

absurd rant against Aristotle Locke Jefferson from total and perfect illiterate who has no idea on earth that reasons are necessary. Liberalism perfectly seen in all its utter ignorance and illiteracy.

B) You're in the bs chump wing of the greedy idiot mega rich GOP is all lol.

stupid illiterate rant from pefect liberal idiot who finds ranting meaningful! Ever see a conservative who is afraid of a real deabte? What does that teach you? Ever think of college? What does that teach you?

Forum List

Back