The Politics of General Patton

Patton wanted to team up with willing elements of the Nazi Wehrmacht against the Soviets? Am I getting that right?

And he wanted to do that right at the time when the full scope of the Nazi holocaust was reaching the rest of world?

lol, good luck.

I believe that is correct, his idea was to rearm the Germans and go to war with the Soviet Union.

Yup. The Germans themselves wanted to surrender to the Western Allies. They would have handed over everyone we wanted, they just wanted to be able to continue the war against the Soviets, and this was offered in the middle of 1944.

By the end of the war, the Soviets had been bled dry. They no longer had the huge advantage in people they had enjoyed at the beginning of the war. Had the US gone to war with them, with German help. I have no doubt we would have won. It would however certainly have been a very bloody affair.

The Soviet tanks were far better than ours. No question. They weren't as good as the Panther, but they were orders of magnitude better than ours. Even the Pershing was no match for a JSU-152 or JS-2. But, our air power would absolutely have ruled the sky's after about three to four months.

That would negate the Soviet advantage in artillery and in men. We were a fully mobile army, they weren't. They were only as mobile as they were because we gave them 600,000 trucks through lend lease. The US gave the Soviets millions of tons of munitions, food, weapons, and medicine. Had that been taken away the Soviet armies would have collapsed after a few months of combat.

The problem would have been in administering that huge area. We can't control Iraq, there is no way we could have controlled the vastly larger Soviet Union. We would still have troops there, and we would still be actively fighting partisans to this day had we attacked.
By 1944, the Soviets were kicking their asses. Of course Germans wanted an out. Did they really think they could get off the hook with the soviets after what they had done?

Until we invaded in the west the Germans were holding their own. Manstein was a masterful defensive general. Had Hitler not pushed for the Kursk battles the Germans would probably have been able to bleed the Soviets out even after we had invaded.

Thankfully Hitler was a moron and squandered those resources which the Germans couldn't replace.
Baloney. And 80 per cent of German assets were against the Russians til the end and always, at least. Attacking them was RW idiocy, just more evidence, perhaps the best ever, you seldom want generals in politics.

Patton wanted to team up with willing elements of the Nazi Wehrmacht against the Soviets? Am I getting that right?

And he wanted to do that right at the time when the full scope of the Nazi holocaust was reaching the rest of world?

lol, good luck.

I believe that is correct, his idea was to rearm the Germans and go to war with the Soviet Union.

How insane does one have to be not to be able to recognize how insane that is?

lol, I think that question was answered very very very early in this thread.

Does not matter what Patton or any other General thought about going to war with the Soviet's. Didn't even matter what Truman thought about it. All this occurred long ago, when it required Congress to declare war with an actual Declaration of War. No way congress would have declared war against the USSR in 1945. This is the hard fact reached at the end of every debate on this topic since the time it began being debated 70 years ago. It may be fun for history buff's to argue about weapons and compare armies and tanks and fighter aircraft and tactics, but in the end it always comes down to the boring fact that the US Congress would not have approved and OK'ed Patton's plan with a formal declaration of war.

lol, good luck.

Yup. The Germans themselves wanted to surrender to the Western Allies. They would have handed over everyone we wanted, they just wanted to be able to continue the war against the Soviets, and this was offered in the middle of 1944.

By the end of the war, the Soviets had been bled dry. They no longer had the huge advantage in people they had enjoyed at the beginning of the war. Had the US gone to war with them, with German help. I have no doubt we would have won. It would however certainly have been a very bloody affair.

The Soviet tanks were far better than ours. No question. They weren't as good as the Panther, but they were orders of magnitude better than ours. Even the Pershing was no match for a JSU-152 or JS-2. But, our air power would absolutely have ruled the sky's after about three to four months.

That would negate the Soviet advantage in artillery and in men. We were a fully mobile army, they weren't. They were only as mobile as they were because we gave them 600,000 trucks through lend lease. The US gave the Soviets millions of tons of munitions, food, weapons, and medicine. Had that been taken away the Soviet armies would have collapsed after a few months of combat.

The problem would have been in administering that huge area. We can't control Iraq, there is no way we could have controlled the vastly larger Soviet Union. We would still have troops there, and we would still be actively fighting partisans to this day had we attacked.
By 1944, the Soviets were kicking their asses. Of course Germans wanted an out. Did they really think they could get off the hook with the soviets after what they had done?

As early as 1939, the head of the Abwehr, Wm. Canaris, was attempting to contact the Brits.

Later, Stalin demanded that no surrender be allowed...he demanded that Germany be crushed....of course, Roosevelt hopped right to it...the Morgenthau Plan.

War could have been over years earlier.
In 1940s America, I doubt you would have found anyone willing to let the Nazi regime survive
After what the Nazis did to the Soviets, Stalin would not rest until the Germans were crushed.
Hitler passed the point of no return and then some. There was no way anyone was going to offer any terms lighter than unconditional surrender

As a side note

Imagine how many FDR hate threads we would get out of PC if he had let HITLER off the hook

lol, good luck.

As early as 1939, the head of the Abwehr, Wm. Canaris, was attempting to contact the Brits.

Later, Stalin demanded that no surrender be allowed...he demanded that Germany be crushed....of course, Roosevelt hopped right to it...the Morgenthau Plan.

In 1940s America, I doubt you would have found anyone willing to let the Nazi regime survive
After what the Nazis did to the Soviets, Stalin would not rest until the Germans were crushed.
Hitler passed the point of no return and then some. There was no way anyone was going to offer any terms lighter than unconditional surrender

As a side note

Imagine how many FDR hate threads we would get out of PC if he had let HITLER off the hook

1. "In 1940s America, I doubt you would have found anyone willing to let the Nazi regime survive..."
Jeeezzzzz....you're more out of Left field than Brett Gardner.
I challenge you....get both brain cells goin'.....find anyone in the thread who suggested letting the Nazi regime surviving.

Double dog dare ya'...

2. "After what the Nazis did to the Soviets, Stalin would not rest until the Germans were crushed."
Said by someone with zero understanding of Stalin.

He wanted world communism.
Therefore, any thing or anyone who might impede communism's march across Europe had to be crushed.
That was his reason for having his spies advance the Morganthau Plan.

Harry Dexter White had been a Soviet "asset"since the early 1930s, providing information to Whittaker Chambers, a courier for the communist underground. By 1941 White wasa top aide and adviser to Henry Morgenthau, Jr.,Secretary of the Treasury.

This was Stalin's leverage.
White had Morganthau agree to Stalin's plan for Germany.

Stalin and his spies in the Roosevelt administration insisted....demanded!.....that Germany not be allowed to surrender. It had to be obliterated....

....even though this meant extending the war anddramatically increasing Allies casualties.

"There was no way anyone was going to offer any terms lighter than unconditional surrender"
Correct....because those were Stalin's orders to Roosevelt....no matter how many American lives it cost.

3. "Imagine how many FDR hate threads we would get out of PC if he had let HITLER off the hook."
First of all....this is in no was a 'hate FDR" thread.
It is a "hate ignorance" thread.

Everything I post is true, researched, documented.
You are the one who hates.....because you can't stand FDR's love affair with Stalin being revealed.

And again....no one has suggested letting "HITLER off the hook."

Oh my, PoliticalShit is still flapping yap. And 20 years from now absolutely no one will care what the old hag said, and President Roosevelt will still be looked up to as one of our great American heros

As a side note

1. "In 1940s America, I doubt you would have found anyone willing to let the Nazi regime survive..."
I challenge you....get both brain cells goin'.....find anyone in the thread who suggested letting the Nazi regime surviving.

Double dog dare ya'...

2. "After what the Nazis did to the Soviets, Stalin would not rest until the Germans were crushed."

Therefore, any thing or anyone who might impede communism's march across Europe had to be crushed.

Harry Dexter White had been a Soviet "asset"since the early 1930s, providing information to Whittaker Chambers, a courier for the communist underground. By 1941 White wasa top aide and adviser to Henry Morgenthau, Jr.,Secretary of the Treasury.

Stalin and his spies in the Roosevelt administration insisted....demanded!.....that Germany not be allowed to surrender. It had to be obliterated....

....even though this meant extending the war anddramatically increasing Allies casualties.

"There was no way anyone was going to offer any terms lighter than unconditional surrender"
Correct....because those were Stalin's orders to Roosevelt....no matter how many American lives it cost.

3. "Imagine how many FDR hate threads we would get out of PC if he had let HITLER off the hook."

You are the one who hates.....because you can't stand FDR's love affair with Stalin being revealed.

You claimed Patton was right. He was not.

Oh my, PoliticalShit is still flapping yap. And 20 years from now absolutely no one will care what the old hag said, and President Roosevelt will still be looked up to as one of our great American heros

It's amusing to watch obsessive hatred of FDR play itself out in a deranged mind;

now PC has resorted to allying herself with General Patton, who called Jews 'filthy' and 'sub-human', out of desperation to concoct one more line of attack.

As a side note

Double dog dare ya'...

You claimed Patton was right. He was not.

Gettin' lies in early, huh?

Of course he was right.

"After so many years of being wary of Nazi Germany, Churchill now sees the Russians as the world's greatest threat. The divide between the Communist worldview and that of Britain's is so great that Churchill will compare it to an "iron curtain," a phrase that will go down in history.

George Pattern and Winston Churchill are simpatico. They both believe that the Soviet Union is now the biggest threat to the world and to democracy. Patton is convinced that Churchill is the only man in power who knows what the world is "walking into."

Pattern believes that letting the Russians have Berlin is folly. And he told Eisenhower this a few days ago. Americans should not only take Berlin, Patton said, but keep on pushing as far to the east as possible. In time, the entire world will come to realize that he is right.

But by then it will be too late. The Russians have already pushed through Austria and are now approaching Fortress Berlin from the south and east. Soon they will take total control of Eastern Europe — a stranglehold they will maintain for the next fifty years."
"Killing Patton," O'Reilly and Dugard, p. 229-230

It's amusing to watch obsessive hatred of FDR play itself out in a deranged mind;

now PC has resorted to allying herself with General Patton, who called Jews 'filthy' and 'sub-human', out of desperation to concoct one more line of attack.

Time for me to educate you again????

"Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong."
Abraham Lincoln, Speech at Peoria, Illinois (October 16, 1854),

"Stand with anybody that stands RIGHT. Stand with him while he is right and PART with him when he goes wrong."

You could not be more wrong standing with Patton's insane idea of declaring war on the USSR.

You could not be more wrong standing with Patton's insane idea of declaring war on the USSR.

Keep talking...I'm diagnosing you.

Congress would have never declared war on the USSR in 1945. End of story, unless you have a coherent rebuttal up your sleeve.

Congress would have never declared war on the USSR in 1945. End of story, unless you have a coherent rebuttal up your sleeve.

Nah....I don't have access to the 'Magic 8-Ball" you use for research.

Nah....I don't have access to the 'Magic 8-Ball" you use for research.
Are you suggesting that the US Congress might have sided with Patton and declared war on Russia?

lol, good luck.

Pretty much what the Germans thought in 1941.......they were wrong.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with being commander of the 3rd Army.

But it does show the fallacy in your statement "Patton was a soldier, not a politician."

Stalin and FDR saw him as a political threat.

I may post a thread on the result thereof.....if you ask nicely and promise to take notes.

A political threat? I had no idea Patton was running for office.

That's because you're a moron.

Did Monica Lewinsky run for office?

"Inside the White House, the debate goes on about the best way to destroy That Woman, as the President called Monica Lewinsky."
Liberties The Slander Strategy - New York Times

Carefully consider the word "destroy" when you consider the other political threat, George Patton.

Monica Lewinsky? I don't get it.......did FDR leave cum stains on Gen. Patton's uniform?

You're right....you don't get it.

I thank God for that.

lol, good luck.

How insane does one have to be not to be able to recognize how insane that is?

lol, I think that question was answered very very very early in this thread.

Completely fucking crazy, out of touch with reality.

Forum List

Back