The politics of a police union

eflatminor

Classical Liberal
May 24, 2011
I'm wondering if anyone here would support the efforts of this police officer and his union:

"...a Denver police officer who got fired after getting caught driving 88 miles an hour over the speed limit while having a blood alcohol level above the legal limit is taking cops’ sense of entitlement to a new level. Calling his firing a violation of principles of fundamental fairness, he wants his job back and his public employee labor union, the Denver Police Protection Association, is backing him in his appeal."

143 MPH In A 55 Zone While DUI, Cops & Union Want Him Rehired | The Truth About Cars

Busted driving 143 MPH while drunk with a passenger in the car...should he get his taxpayer provided job back?

The union might support him and even offer legal assistance but the city has the last word. So the question is whether politicians cave into union demands.

I'm wondering if anyone here would support the efforts of this police officer and his union:

"...a Denver police officer who got fired after getting caught driving 88 miles an hour over the speed limit while having a blood alcohol level above the legal limit is taking cops’ sense of entitlement to a new level. Calling his firing a violation of principles of fundamental fairness, he wants his job back and his public employee labor union, the Denver Police Protection Association, is backing him in his appeal."

143 MPH In A 55 Zone While DUI, Cops & Union Want Him Rehired | The Truth About Cars

Busted driving 143 MPH while drunk with a passenger in the car...should he get his taxpayer provided job back?

Not just 'NO', but 'HELL, NO!' I hope the city does the right thing and leaves his ass collecting Welfare and food stamps.

He has a right to appeal, and the union has a duty to represent him. In CA his appeal can go in two directions, and appeal to the merit board or a hearing before an Adminstrative Law Judge. I cannot imagine the officer prevailing in either case. Nor, can I imagine the union providing legal counsel for the officer; attorney fees will be out of his pocket.

Postscript to message #4. If the agency knew the officer has a drinking problem and didn't act, there is a possibility the officer may prevail and get his job back.

The point is that unions have no legal or political power themselves. They exist to intimidate the public and private sector. If state and local government cave in to union demands the problem is with politicians.

Forum List

Back