The Politician wake up call

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
Following the shooting, and respect for the dead, I would hope this sends a message to our politicians that their lives might be altered depending on how they alter US citizen lives. That actions have consequences. We literally put our lives on the line every-time we vote, and the 3000 dead, 10,000 maimed in the ME are a good example that actions have consequences in the voters booth, and those we elect are not afraid to take our lives.

So I do not know what went through the latest shooters mind, but it does show their are people out there walking the edge who may not like what a politician is doing and are willing and able to take action.

Tell me. What exactly do you change about your behavior to avoid being shot by a nutjob?

Tell me. What exactly do you change about your behavior to avoid being shot by a nutjob?

Any of these would qualify,

Yes
Immigration Issues: Do you support a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants?
Vote Smart's Research:
Federation for American Immigration Reform. 2007-2008. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Gabrielle Giffords supported the interests of the Federation for American Immigration Reform 46 percent in 2007-2008. (Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting)
Gabrielle Gifford. Immigration. 12 October 2010. "However, until the federal government can demonstrate that it is serious about border security, we will see no progress in fixing our other broken immigration laws. Reform should include tough employer sanctions and a national employee verification system such as the New Employee Verification Act that I introduced along with Republican Congressman Sam Johnson. Amnesty cannot be granted to those who have entered illegally. They must be brought out from the shadows and overcome very strict requirements if they are to apply for legalization." (giffords.house.gov)
Gabrielle Giffords. 2008. Arizona Daily Star: U.S. Congress, District 8: Democrat: Gabrielle Giffords. Responded: "The Tucson Sector remains the most porous part of the U.S. - Mexico border as illegal immigrants, drugs and guns flood into America through our communities. All options to address these issues should be on the table. Modern technologies including radar, UAV's and other methods of electronic surveillance must be deployed in addition to hiring more Border Patrol agents, creating a strategy for new infrastructure, and improving cooperation between federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. Ultimately, however, being secure goes beyond stopping the flow of illegal activity over the border. It requires economic stability in both nations, a viable guest worker program and addressing the issue of people who are in the United States living without documentation. Passing comprehensive immigration reform legislation is the only way to create real security - and that remains a top priority from me." to the question "A lot of candidates - including both of the presidential contenders - talk about "securing the border." But what does that entail? How will we know when it is secured?" (azstarnet.com)
Gabrielle Giffords. 2010. Green Valley News and Sun: U.S. House: Gabrielle Giffords (D). Responded: "Most important is to secure the U.S.-Mexico border. Until the federal government can demonstrate that it is serious about border security, we will see no progress in fixing our other broken immigration laws. Some future measures for an overall reform include tough employer sanctions and a national employee verification system such as the New Employee Verification Act that I introduced along with Republican Rep. Sam Johnson. Amnesty cannot be granted to those who have entered illegally. They must be brought out from the shadows and overcome very strict requirements if they are to apply for legalization." to the question "8. What do you consider necessary in any federal immigration reform effort?" (Green Valley News & Sun: Covering all of Santa Cruz Valley, AZ)
Gabrielle Giffords. Immigration. "We need immediate action on the issue of illegal immigration. Again, Arizona is paying the price for federal incompetence. I support the bipartisan and comprehensive McCain-Kennedy plan that Congressman Grijalva and Governor Napolitano support, as the best way to tackle this difficult challenge and give us the fair immigration policy we need. This policy must include: no amnesty - but a path to citizenship for otherwise law-abiding undocumented workers who have been working here for years, own up to their responsibilities as new citizens by paying back taxes, and learn English." (votesmart.org)
Gabrielle Giffords. Issue Position: Borders. "Border security is national security, and the fight to secure the border is one of my top priorities. Unfortunately, for years, the federal government has failed to secure the border or fix our broken immigration laws. Arizonans are angry and so am I." (votesmart.org)
Gabrielle Giffords. Issue Position: Immigration. 17 June 2009. "A guest worker program, so that people can come in, work legally and safely, and return back to their home countries." (votesmart.org)
Gabrielle Giffords. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' Statement on President Obama's Immigration Speech. 1 July 2010. "I also support the president's view that those who have entered this country illegally must be held accountable. They must not be granted amnesty as we have unwisely done in the past." (votesmart.org)
Kelly, Erin. 2010. The Arizona Republic: Gabrielle Giffords, Jesse Kelly Race All About Immigration. 8 October 2010. "Giffords opposes the state law as "divisive" and supports comprehensive immigration reform at the federal level." (Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Phoenix Breaking News - azcentral.com)
National Latino Congreso. 2007-2010. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Gabrielle Giffords supported the interests of the National Latino Congreso 20 percent in 2007-2010. (Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting)

Yes
International Policy Issues: Do you support United States military action in Afghanistan?
Vote Smart's Research:
Gabrielle Giffords. 2008. Arizona Daily Star: U.S. Congress, District 8: Democrat: Gabrielle Giffords. Responded: "As a Member of the U.S. House Armed Services Committee, I have visited our servicemen and women in Iraq twice - they are carrying out their mission with professionalism and honor. First and foremost, any redeployment must focus on protecting our forces as they leave. Logistical realities must also be taken into account as U.S. forces transition from extensive combat operations to a limited training and counterinsurgency program. Deployments ending in provinces under Iraqi control should be replaced, in the next rotation, by units to Afghanistan to meet requirements there. As our troops depart in a responsible manner, Iraqi Security Forces will be forced to step up to create additional stability in other provinces. We need to gradually reduce equipment levels as well by redeploying functional equipment to Afghanistan from units rotating out of Iraq and make an effort to transition equipment to the Iraqis that is too costly to bring home." to the question "How should a timetable for bringing troops home - which even President Bush has indicated he supports in some form - be structured?" (azstarnet.com)
Gabrielle Giffords. 2010. Green Valley News and Sun: U.S. House: Gabrielle Giffords (D). Responded: "Since I was first elected, I have served proudly on the House Armed Services Committee, which oversees the operations of the Department of Defense. Having spent time with General Petraeus in theatre on several occasions, I was impressed by his analytical skills and have confidence in his leadership. General Petraeus called for a gradual reduction of forces by next summer and I agree. It has been almost nine years since the September 11th attack and start of the war in Afghanistan on October 7, 2001. The Afghan people - not U.S. taxpayers - need to take responsibility for their country." to the question "1. Do you support next summer's planned reduction of U.S. forces in Afghanistan?" (Green Valley News & Sun: Covering all of Santa Cruz Valley, AZ)
Gabrielle Giffords. Afghanistan War Was Worth Fighting in 2001, it still is. 12 October 2010. "This was a war worth fighting eight years ago and it remains so today. The terrorists who engineered those attacks were hosted and protected by the Taliban-led government of Afghanistan. Our military goal was - and is - clear: Remove the Taliban from power, track down al-Qaida and other terrorists, and allow the people of Afghanistan to run their own country. Last week, as we marked the eighth anniversary of the start of the war, a stable Afghanistan remained very much a work in progress. I witnessed this for myself recently on a congressional delegation trip to Afghanistan and Pakistan with two fellow members of the House Armed Services Committee. . . .Since our initial commitment to Afghanistan in 2001, that war of necessity became secondary to a war of choice in Iraq. As we took our eye off the ball in Afghanistan, our strategies and goals became less clear and the Taliban insurgency was allowed to regroup and plot its return. It must not be allowed to succeed. Today, President Obama is faced with the challenge of rallying public and congressional support for the mission in Afghanistan. As commander in chief, he must set goals and establish metrics for success. It must be the goal of our nation to ensure that we never repeat the same errors of indifference that preceded 9/11, and we never again allow terrorists to seek safe haven in Afghanistan." (giffords.house.gov)
Gabrielle Giffords. Giffords Calls For Strategy to Win War on Terror. 26 September 2006. "We need to focus our efforts on defeating Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan, and eliminating Osama Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri." (Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting)
Gabrielle Giffords. HR 4899. 111th Congress. Supplemental Appropriations Act. Project Vote Smart Summary: Gabrielle Giffords voted NO on Limiting Afghanistan Military Funding to Withdrawal and Other Specified Purposes on 1 July 2010. (Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting)
Gabrielle Giffords. HR 4899. 111th Congress. Supplemental Appropriations Act. Project Vote Smart Summary: Gabrielle Giffords voted NO on Requiring Timetable for Withdrawal from Afghanistan on 1 July 2010. (Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting)
Gabrielle Giffords. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Calls For Renewed Focus On Afghanistan After Trip To 'The Front Lines Of The War On Terror.' 30 April 2008. "U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is calling for a renewed focus on fighting terrorism in Afghanistan after returning from a bipartisan congressional delegation trip to the war-torn country. 'Afghanistan represents the front lines of the war on terror,' the Tucson lawmaker said today. 'We are neglecting it and we are paying the price.'" (Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting)
Peace Action West. 2009. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Gabrielle Giffords supported the interests of Peace Action West 46 percent in 2009. (Project Vote Smart - American Government, Elections, Candidates and Voting)
Tucson Citizen. 2010. Tucson Citizen: Bee vs. Giffords: In Their Own Words. 13 October 2008. "When we were attacked on 9/11, the Taliban leadership and the training for al-Qaida came from Afghanistan. That's where we knew Osama bin Laden was hiding out. Unfortunately, we took our eye off the ball. We were given false information, we ended up going into Iraq. And I think when history is written about this, it will be the worst decision this country has ever made. We spend $345 million every single day in Iraq." (tucsoncitizen.com)

No
Social Issues: Should marriage only be between one man and one woman?

So you are seriously arguing that politicians should be persuaded to change their votes because of violent threats against them instead of doing what's right? That's so messed up.

So you are seriously arguing that politicians should be persuaded to change their votes because of violent threats against them instead of doing what's right? That's so messed up.

I didn't argue that. I said there are consequences for political actions, and who is to say a politican is right in what they do? We have seen several people killed for political reasons of late, and this is just another wake up call.

In his first statement to the press, Pima County Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik got it right when he placed the shootings in their political context. He denounced the "political vitriol" that animates the politics of the right and characterized Arizona as the national center of bigotry.

He was alluding to the promotion of anti-immigrant hysteria and the activities of armed vigilantes on the Mexican border, which have been endorsed by the state government and legitimized by the national media. Last year, Arizona passed a blatantly unconstitutional law that gives police the right to search, stop and detain any "suspicious" individuals who cannot prove their legal status.

Almost immediately, media commentators began to back away from the sheriff's linkage of the Tucson shootings to the reactionary political environment and attempted to obscure the gunman's connections to right-wing politics.

The initial information about the gunman, Jared Lee Loughner, 22, establishes that he was under the influence of ultra-right politics. Statements on his YouTube web site are replete with references―to the "second" US Constitution, "treasonous" laws, currencies not backed by gold―which reproduce the coded language of the far right.
The Tucson shootings: A warning to the American people

Forum List

Back